Bank Holiday in Brecon Beacon (1 Viewer)

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Me and Lyn took a last minute decision on Saturday to spend a couple of days in Brecon. We were going to look for a campsite but thought bank holiday, busy or full of screaming kids. So we just stop wherever the fancy took us.

So off in Florence the motorhome and a nice steady drive from Cheltenham towards Brecon with a destination of the National Park Visitor centre in mind and only a short stop to stock Florence’s wine cellar. On arriving the car park at the centre was rammed resembling a car boot sale and certainly wasn’t the order of the day. So, out of the centre turn right, at the crossroads and turn right again and we meandered over a cattle grid into open moorland with just sheeps for company. A couple of miles down the road we pulled over onto what looked like a perfect spot. Open grassland with a clear view of the hills, nobody else, no screaming kids, just the odd car and the sounds of sheeps for company. I wasn’t too sure what the rules were on overnighting in Brecon but thought it worth the risk, although I had read that when wild camping on Brecon if you have a poo you’re supposed to dig a hole and bury it. Mentioned this to Lyn but the look said a little bit more than we haven’t got a shovel.

Brecon 1.jpg
Brecon 2.jpg

The evening was brilliant, helped on its way by Londis best Prosecco. Finished off by a stunning red sunset, far better than my amateur photography skills are able to capture. We awoke to stunning views on a very pleasant Sunday morning, just ghostly wisps of cloud gently caressing the hilltops and all the sheeps insisting on bidding us a top of the morning. And a meh to you to as the morning tug of war took place as Chester the ginger terrorist took me for my early morning walk. He didn’t have a shovel either so a doggie bag had to suffice.

As Chester had decided he’d had enough and dragged me back to Florence the National Trust warden drove passed and slowed up. “Bugger, he’s going to tell us off”, but he was just checking that the ginger terrorist was on a lead. My one arm now being six foot in length was apparently enough evidence of a lead and he drove on. Our entrance to Florence was blocked by a menacing Lyn with kitchen roll in hand with a warning of sheep poo. Evidently our woolly neighbours don’t have shovels either.

I cleared up my discarded fag ends, evidence of my failed attempt at giving up smoking (try again Tuesday) and just as we’re ready to leave the local farmer stopped by. My automatic guilt complex “should I be camping here” was kicking in again. “Morning, that’s a well tidy van, what make is it”? It would only have taken the word “boyo” inserted in there to complete the stereotype. We chatted about the van, about his sheep, the local area and he was full of advice on local places we should visit. A top man. “There’s nice!!”

Off we headed with no destination in mind, the farmers advice on places to go being far more than my memory is capable of taking in. All I could remember him saying was “end of the road turn left, it’s a bit of a tight zig zagging road. I therefore turned right. I’m still struggling with the saga of driving an A class down roads in Dorset I shouldn’t have been on.

So we picked up the A40 and followed it past Brecon heading west. By now I’d built up courage telling myself that Florence was only a PVC and so branched off on a road towards then through Pencelli until we finally ended up at a car park at Owl’s Grove. It’s just below the Brecon Mountain Railway station for the steam train down to Merthyr Tydfil. We probably would have embarked but the heavens had now decided to open so we parked up at the far end of the car park and settled there for the night. Car park doesn’t do Owl’s Grove justice. It’s a really beautiful setting within a mass of pine trees. So we settled down and I did what I do well, opened a bottle of wine. We settled down to watch a couple of films with the rain beating on the roof. Is there a better sound, sat comfy and warm, glass of wine in hand and the rain playing its merry tune on the roof.

Brewcon 3.jpg

So the weather was shite, Chester was as Chester is, a pain, but it was a lovely relaxed weekend, which is surprising for a bank holiday.

Cheers Alan & Lyn

Attachments

• Brecon 4.jpg
    Brecon 4.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 58

Steveboy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2011
Wherever my wheels stop.
Funster No
MH
Rapido 972M
Exp
Fulltime since 2011
Yup, thats the way to go, free & easy & out into the countryside. Been fulltime doing similar in UK & Euro land fo4 yrs now. Never had any bother.

Mothy

Free Member
Sep 1, 2015
Hythe, Hants
Funster No
MH
Lo-line
Exp
1 month
Sounds awesome. Can't quite afford full time yet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Wales is beautiful, superb for motorhoming. In Powys ( and poss other counties in Wales) you can stay one night in 7 in any council car park. There's one in the centre of Brecon, by the canal. And the Hay in Wye car park is huge and has direct access into miles of fields and woodland with rights of way/ footpaths. Glad you had a good weekend---so much better than a campsite full of ankle biters!

OP
OP
aldhp21
Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Wales is beautiful, superb for motorhoming. In Powys ( and poss other counties in Wales) you can stay one night in 7 in any council car park. There's one in the centre of Brecon, by the canal. And the Hay in Wye car park is huge and has direct access into miles of fields and woodland with rights of way/ footpaths. Glad you had a good weekend---so much better than a campsite full of ankle biters!

Absolutely @Hollyberry, on our doorstep as well, can't wait to go back.

D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
My self build is almost finished and being so very fortunate to live where I do, some would ask why we should ever want to go away!

But I have drawn up a short list of 3 potential first night, over-night 'wild' stops all of which are within only 20 miles of our house................ I even have our local County Councillor, farmer friend coming up with suggestions.

I honestly can't wait.

Jun 20, 2011
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
We were wild camping above the Brecon Beacons on Sunday night next to a van very like yours....not sure if it was you. We have a Rollerteam

OP
OP
aldhp21
Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
We were wild camping above the Brecon Beacons on Sunday night next to a van very like yours....not sure if it was you. We have a Rollerteam
Hi edendeb, this thread was from last year but we were in beacon again this bank holiday but at Usk reservoir. Didn't notice a roller team though.

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
Great info again but note that it's essential to carry broadsheets so emergencies can be wrapped up like fish n chips and placed inside large sealed plastic bag for disposal. They're clamping down on Wild camping due to people spoiling the countryside

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
@aldhp21 , pardon me for asking but would you mind posting the actual lat and long of Owl's grove. I fancy trying it. Great parking in Brecon anyway if I can't find it.
Thank you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back