Bangs, Rattles and squeaks as you are travelling. (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2019
Durham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Just got home after travelling the West coast of Scotland and at times it was like having a percussion section of a band on board.
Just wondered if any other Funster’s had found and cured any of their unwanted sounds on their motorhomes and how they did it. If you ended up buying a particular modified part could you please add where you got it from to help others who have the same issue.?
It could be as simple as wrapping knives and forks in a tea cloth.?

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Wrap as much as you can. Absorbent mats from the likes of B and M are great on the cooker and in the oven between the shelf and any cooking tray. We put paper plates between our ordinary plates too

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Our washroom and wardrobe doors are the old type with a push button to open/close them so you have a rod on the inside of the door which operates the ‘hooks’ to keep door closed, the rods rattle so I cut some bits of foam and wedged them in between rod and door….no rattle!
I use grip mat cut to size between plates, wrapped around glasses, mugs or anything that needs it.
Some of the little pads that go between a door and frame have been beefed up as they flatten over time.

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
There is only so much you can do.
In my experience as soon as you fix one rattle a new one appears.
We still have the original Michelin Camping tyres but I cant justify the cost of changing them just yet as they are less than two years old!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: POH
Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
A few more tips here:

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
I found that much of the rattling actually came from the front cover of the truma gas heater / ultraheat. The fins on the front need a little tweak every so often to stop them touching and rattling. Some people remove the front when travelling, just to check that the front cover is the cause. Also did The above suggestions but found that the heater was The bigger difference. Good luck,
Cush

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Cups and glasses sleeved with the tops of socks with the feet cut off. Cooker padded with drying up towels. Overhead locker doors padded with silicone pads. Pots and pans stacked with bubble wrap between them. Side window blinds in the cab tied tightly with velcro strips. Just some of the things that have helped make each journey less like listening to an out of tune rehearsal by one of those Balinese gamelan bands. Trouble is, the moho has responded by deciding to start creaking - something we hadn't really noticed before taking the afore mentioned silencing measures . . . . Now looking at solutions for that.

Upvote 1
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Just got home after travelling the West coast of Scotland and at times it was like having a percussion section of a band on board.
Just wondered if any other Funster’s had found and cured any of their unwanted sounds on their motorhomes and how they did it. If you ended up buying a particular modified part could you please add where you got it from to help others who have the same issue.?
It could be as simple as wrapping knives and forks in a tea cloth.?
Your profile says you have a Rapido 8094, we recently had a 9094 and found it very quiet apart from a bit of a squeak from the passenger door trim - not totally silent of course, but much quieter than our first MH (a Bailey). That one had so many rattles it took ages to pack towels around the hob, wedge them in doors etc each time we set off.

We line pretty much all our shelves and drawers with non-slip matting (including the cutlery insert). Glasses and mugs are kept in foam cut-outs, Ikea Skubb drawer dividers are useful for organising larger drawers keeping things packed together so they don't slide about. Are you able to tell where the noises are coming from? Are they items moving about or is it the fabric of the MH making the noises.

A Eurotunnel ticket to proper roads :ROFLMAO:
I agree that this is the best option....the roads in this country are terrible....even Belgium's roads are better than ours now.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2023
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
ADRIA MATRIX 600SL
Exp
1st timer since Jan 2023
Our new Adria has the press stud small strap to clip the shower/toilet door open, so no rattles at all. Probably something they recently came up with but work's, as you don't want a concertina door left open whilst on the move as iut has so many moving parts ! A cheap fix, and easy to fit to top left hand side of roller shutter door whilst fully open.

16818071766907547049870434420443.jpg

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
This is why motorhomers have a good supply of tea towels and also upgrade the radio for turning up the loudness button..😎

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pxh38257
Jun 22, 2019
Durham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Your profile says you have a Rapido 8094, we recently had a 9094 and found it very quiet apart from a bit of a squeak from the passenger door trim - not totally silent of course, but much quieter than our first MH (a Bailey). That one had so many rattles it took ages to pack towels around the hob, wedge them in doors etc each time we set off.

We line pretty much all our shelves and drawers with non-slip matting (including the cutlery insert). Glasses and mugs are kept in foam cut-outs, Ikea Skubb drawer dividers are useful for organising larger drawers keeping things packed together so they don't slide about. Are you able to tell where the noises are coming from? Are they items moving about or is it the fabric of the MH making the noises.

I agree that this is the best option....the roads in this country are terrible....even Belgium's roads are better than ours now.
Certain noises I can identify and some are easily sorted. Im trying to find cures that when in place become second nature for the wife. Having driven over 100 miles with the grill pan and rack still in the oven did not help, especially when she had got it from under the seats the day where it was packed away.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pxh38257
Jun 22, 2019
Durham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Elastic bands around cutlery
Tea towels in the oven
Just found some that I think will hold all the plates and drinking glasses together there like an X shape when under tension.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Certain noises I can identify and some are easily sorted. Im trying to find cures that when in place become second nature for the wife. Having driven over 100 miles with the grill pan and rack still in the oven did not help, especially when she had got it from under the seats the day where it was packed away.
Yep pans in the oven will rattle if left loose...we keep ours in a fabric bag which wedges them nicely into the oven and is easy to remove (the bag is bright purple so its not easy to overlook before lighting the oven!) We didn't find the shelf rattled in the oven though....ours fit pretty tightly onto the shelf supports. The one in our Bailey did rattle though (different brand of oven) and we used these oven shelf protectors along the front edge (no need to remove when using the oven) which helped a lot:
41IVM1P7L+L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Just found some that I think will hold all the plates and drinking glasses together there like an X shape when under tension.
We used these for the plates:
AC0286-secure-a-plate.jpg

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I fitted Toyo observe van tyres and full 4c air suspension that cured most of rattles apart from the drop down bed. I loosened all the bolts on the mechanism and lubricated with PTFE spray it's silent now even on rough tracks.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back