Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2000
Last week we were targeted but managed to get rid of them. However today we spoke to a couple who were robbed. This was on the A7 south of Alicante near ELX/ELCHE. They drive across the front to block you in then the driver gets out with a map in his hand and asks for directions in English. It seems to be 2 men in a black car. The other couple were both in the motorhome and they still got her handbag,so be extra careful.

OP
OP
John65

John65

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2000
Do you have dash cam footage?
We didn't have dash cam on the other couple did but not clear enough to get number plate.
I assume both have been reported to the Guardia ?
They reported it to the Police but said they weren't interested.I went into the garage shop to see if they had them on cctv but no luck.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We didn't have dash cam on the other couple did but not clear enough to get number plate.

They reported it to the Police but said they weren't interested.I went into the garage shop to see if they had them on cctv but no luck.
That's a bummer :(

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
We were targeted a few years ago around Barcelona. They threw something at the side of the car, that made a bang, perhaps a piece of hard rubber. They then drove alongside and gestured to the side of the car and for us to stop

We got the camera out and pretended to photo them and they roared off. Stopped after a while and found no damage, which I guess is part of the plan, as they can help you look for the problem while robbing you

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I thought We had been targeted multiple times once on the AP7. Cars gesturing at me to pull over ( and getting the middle finger back) and men running after us as we pulled away from motorway aires.

Anyway when we got to our destination we realised they had been trying to warn us about a fuel filter leak with diesel coming out all over the road:rolleyes:

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
Chris we had the same - they were waving at us- something was loose - not sure what they meant- just carried on :D

van 1.jpg

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
In Chantilly we had a van with two men draw alongside and point frantically to the rear of our motorhome.

We gave them a thumbs up but waited until they were well ahead before pulling over to investigate, having heard all the stories about robbers.

Our motorbike was leaning dangerously to one side as a securing strap had snapped.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
You're all really selling the idea of European travel to me here... :rolleyes:
Whilst these things obviously do happen (and not only abroad) we've not had any such problem in 7 or 8 years since we started motorhoming (mainly abroad) so don't be put off. :rolleyes:

Wyn

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We were also flagged down by a car load of young men ... we were leaving Luxembourg city. We were on a busy motorway with lots of witnesses so didn't get too anxious. We acknowledged them and they drove onwards. I pulled over to the hard shoulder to try and work out what they were pointing at - it turns out that one of our tyres was deflating; I was able to take the next exit (100 m away) and put the spare on in a safe location.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In our caravaning days driving up the foot hills of the alps cars overtaking us were honking horns waving at us. I thought bl**dy impatient French I'm not going that slow. When we stopped at a layby there was smoke pouring out of the caravan bakes. I remembered going over a big speed jump in the last village, it had caught the brake mechanism jamming the brakes partly on. Had to get new linings, bearing & seals flown out.

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Last week we were targeted but managed to get rid of them. However today we spoke to a couple who were robbed. This was on the A7 south of Alicante near ELX/ELCHE. They drive across the front to block you in then the driver gets out with a map in his hand and asks for directions in English. It seems to be 2 men in a black car. The other couple were both in the motorhome and they still got her handbag,so be extra careful.
Feared the same on the approach to Roquetas, couple of young men passed us waving their arms like a couple of puffins taking off ,turned out one of our lockers was giving the same impression. Thankfully nothing fell out.:):).Not all bad !(n)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
You're all really selling the idea of European travel to me here... :rolleyes:
You ought to be reassured by the fact that most “flagging down” is for a good reason.

Last August we were returning to Wales on the M4 when we caught up to a car and caravan. We noticed that his “Heki” rooflight was wide open with the hinged side to the rear so the slipstream was in danger of snapping it off.

We were a couple in a motorhome driving alongside and gesticulating at their Caravans roof, but they took one look at us then pointedly ignored us, staring straight ahead. (Presumably we looked like robbers).

After trying to draw their attention to the problem we left them to it.

We have often wondered what happened later!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Should I be worried? :Eeek: We're not that far from Alicante! :eek:

Then again, if they see our dogs peering out of the windows I don't think they'll bother with us! :sneaky:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I tried to flag down a motorhome approaching the A41 by-pass with a totally flat rear tyre.

We are two old people, slightly over weight and I suspect could not put the fear of god into anybody.

They ignored us, looked straight ahead and pretended we were not there.

I suspect they had not noticed the difference in the handling of the van.

I always wondered how far they went before they did.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I tried to flag down a motorhome approaching the A41 by-pass with a totally flat rear tyre.

We are two old people, slightly over weight and I suspect could not put the fear of god into anybody.

They ignored us, looked straight ahead and pretended we were not there.

I suspect they had not noticed the difference in the handling of the van.

I always wondered how far they went before they did.
Did exactly the same a few years back: alongside a lone female in a car with a totally flat rear tyre travelling at 60mph. Same result - she pointedly ignored my wife who was waving frantically out of the passenger window.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
[QUOTE

We were a couple in a motorhome driving alongside and gesticulating at their Caravans roof, but they took one look at us then pointedly ignored us, staring straight ahead. (Presumably we looked like robbers).
[/QUOTE]

similar thing happen to me on the M6. Had i Motorhome pass me with its centre Henki wide open, so increased speed and overtook, got no reaction from the driver so pulled into the slow lane and let them overtake me again,
as they slowly went pass i put my finger up to indicate their roof light was open but the wife assumed i was giving her the finger and gave me many hand signals that didn’t need much imagination interpreting ,

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Feared the same on the approach to Roquetas, couple of young men passed us waving their arms like a couple of puffins taking off ,turned out one of our lockers was giving the same impression. Thankfully nothing fell out.:):).Not all bad !(n)
I had that same thing 2 days ago big side locker wasn't closed properly and I'd had a few waves and a car peeping horn...no idea what for only noticed it when I stopped about 30 mins later ....dont know how I didn't lose my deck chairs

Bandits never even crossed my mind though ....i just muttered whats wrong with that eedjit to myself and carried on lol.

Reactions: kip
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Amazing really. Over the years I've stopped probably 5 or 6 trucks with trailer punctures (the last one last year at night - his centre axle offside tyre was like a Catherine Wheel). I've been on a motorcycle, in a car, as a tugger, and in the mh. In every case it was easy - horn when alongside, point at trailer, pull in front, slow down then signal and stop on hard shoulder. The driver has always been very grateful. And it's one less lump of rubber in the carriageway.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I didn't put this post on to frighten or put people of Spain it's a fantastic place to spend a winter. It was just a warning to be extra careful in service areas.(y)

Probably best not to include the word 'Bandits' in the title your post then! ;)

It does worry some folk - when I ran a livery yard there was an urban myth circulating... a white van seen near livery yards and horses were found with plaited manes. According to the story this was done in order for the thieves to return later and steal said horse. This went round for a couple of years with sightings of the 'white van' the entire length of the country. Not one horse was ever stolen but it case untold worry amongst horse owners.

These tales usually involve almost magical powers on the part of the thieves. In your story the woman's bag was stolen whilst they were in their motorhome. How on earth would that happen? They didn't notice strangers getting in their vehicle whilst they were sitting there?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back