Bakers complete availability in europe (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Never found any Bakers in France,Spain or Portugal in last six years.(y)(y)(y)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
@mfw Losing it isn't going to help your dog food search , the poster was motivated by genuine concern , unfortunately some people dont always take the hint that it is not required :)

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
@mfw Losing it isn't going to help your dog food search , the poster was motivated by genuine concern , unfortunately some people dont always take the hint that it is not required :)
Sorry to all did annoy me all i originally asked was is bakers complete available in europe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Like my fast food Burger King - Mc Donalds look at the crap preservatives in that type of food so cant really fault bakers dog food(y) dog likes it as well:)

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Like my fast food Burger King - Mc Donalds look at the crap preservatives in that type of food so cant really fault bakers dog food(y) dog likes it as well:)
but would you eat a burger king or McDonald as your only food, if you cant take advice that bakers is a cheap poor source of food for your dog you don't deserve to have a dog, you are not looking after your dog properly.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
but would you eat a burger king or McDonald as your only food, if you cant take advice that bakers is a cheap poor source of food for your dog you don't deserve to have a dog, you are not looking after your dog properly.
Thats your opinion , and there must be a great many who don't agree with you , as Bakers seems to be selling a lot of dog food
I dont know whats gives you authority to adjudicate on someones fitness to own a dog or otherwise .

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Thats your opinion , and there must be a great many who don't agree with you , as Bakers seems to be selling a lot of dog food
I dont know whats gives you authority to adjudicate on someones fitness to own a dog or otherwise .
bakers complete sells a lot because its cheap, and its cheap because its crap dog food.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread , but any thoughts or useful information about James Wellbeloved?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We use wellbeloved grain free, as one of ours is gluten intolerant. We have never found it, or any grain free dog food in France or Spain. We have no alternative but to take loads with us. At least we can fill up the space liberated when they eat it with wine for the return.
Did try Bakers at one time before we found out the rubbish it contains but the dog at the time did like it, but I suppose we all like eating stuff that's bad for us.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I get royal canine in europe.
@sdc77 , whats that like for nutrition?
Im almost scared to ask

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Any dry/complete food that’s cereal/grain based is bad for dogs. Bakers is amongst the worst, people only buy it because it’s cheap.

If you’re going to use complete food the it should be something grain free such as Acana or Orijen

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
as Bakers seems to be selling a lot of dog food
The power of advertising I suspect :cautious:.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread , but any thoughts or useful information about James Wellbeloved?
It's an okay food but expensive- scores 3.3 on AllAboutDogFood - which means you possibly could do better or similar for less cost.
I get royal canine in europe.
@sdc77 , whats that like for nutrition?
Im almost scared to ask
Only scores 1.8 I'm afraid.
https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0060/royal-canin-medium-adult

Before switching to RAW for Kerry, I fed her Skinners Field & Trial Salmon - which was a reasonable compromise between compsition & cost - no red ingredients. Score 3.4

Check it out for yourselves:
https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I remember when I was a kid everyone fed their dogs on cans of pal , life was a lot simpler then . Haha
PhotoPictureResizer_180718_215724232-800x655.jpg

Prolongs Active Life (y)

...Pedigree Foods though :(.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We've eventually got Millie to eat this...

682D3A9B-540D-4FB9-A537-AA3E035C1667.jpeg

With a teaspoon of coconut oil and proden plaque off (which prevents and clears tartar) daily.

I believe as it's cold pressed it's the closest dry food that gives the benefits of a raw diet and one of the few kibbles that can be fed alongside raw. It also comes in a completely grain free formula.

It scores well in the above mentioned comparison site.

You only feed a small amount so it's easy to take sufficient away, we are nearing the end of an 8 week trip and still have loads left.

We've seen very little dog food for sale in supermarkets in Portugal and never the same brand so I'd really advise the op to consider changing to a nutritional dense dog food so it's easier to take enough with you.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
What sort and from where Jim..

We’re buying from different places to keep costs down, so I’ll buy, 20kg of chicken wings, from somewhere and beef hearts or minced turkey carcass from somewhere else But to get the balance right between muscle meat, offal and bone etc requires a bit of thought.

These guys sell raw frozen. Complete no hassle meals but I’ve not used them
<Broken link removed>.

If you’d like to buy fresh meals complete making it hassle free then I’ve heard and read really good things about butternut box.They use all human grade meat and produce balanced neat and easy to feed, gently cooked food you keep in the fridge. https://butternutbox.com/our_menu#the-meals__section. Just a bit to expensive for me though.

It gets an excellent write up on the dog food site. https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/1727/butternut-box

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
https://truthaboutpetfood.com/lawsuit-filed-against-champion-pet-food-acana-and-orijen/

@NickNic there is a class action on against owners of acana and orijen.

The more I read about dog food the more confused i get.
Have been feeding our new rescue on Orijen (£22.99 for 2 kgs!!!) mixed with Wainwright's on the recommendation of a dog behavourist. He needs to put on a bit of weight so I got him what I thought was the best. May have to rethink.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
The power of advertising I suspect :cautious:.

It's an okay food but expensive- scores 3.3 on AllAboutDogFood - which means you possibly could do better or similar for less cost.

Only scores 1.8 I'm afraid.
https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0060/royal-canin-medium-adult

Before switching to RAW for Kerry, I fed her Skinners Field & Trial Salmon - which was a reasonable compromise between compsition & cost - no red ingredients. Score 3.4

Check it out for yourselves:
https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory
I have previously looked at that site.
I'm not a stoing supporter of it or him. I do think though that it's a great rescources to inform people. It's just not the only rescources.
There is also a lack of credible evidence on the benefits of raw but a strong a vociferous group ...esp in the usa who shout down anyone who questions it.
In my view a mixed diet is best and that view is well supported professionaly and by welfare groups .
RAW is not an option for a lot of people. It is most certainly not something that working Collies or working gundogs that I know of are routinely fed .. sometimes it's an extra of course but normaly it's a more balanced diet.

Having said that... one of our Collies fav food is hedgehog ... ... yuck!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Have been feeding our new rescue on Orijen (£22.99 for 2 kgs!!!) mixed with Wainwright's on the recommendation of a dog behavourist. He needs to put on a bit of weight so I got him what I thought was the best. May have to rethink.

Try Butternut Box in my post above yours, if I was going to feed a wet cooked food I think that would be it.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
In my view a mixed diet is best and that view is well supported professionaly and by welfare groups .
RAW is not an option for a lot of people. It is most certainly not something that working Collies or working gundogs that I know of are routinely fed .. sometimes it's an extra of course but normaly it's a more balanced diet.
I wouldn't disagree about mixed is best but coming from a veterinarian family I do know that they are "influenced" by the dog food producers [as are the medical profession by pharma companies].
Kerry is an ex racer, thus from a professionals' kennel but it doesn't mean I'm happy to continue to feed her the slop that they fed her - akin to gruel from the workhouse :sick:.
I realise that we can easily become OCD and evangelical about what we feed our pets, I think that probably working dog owners don't view their animals in quite the same way, and what they get fed is adequate as is greyhound gruel.

I've switched Kerry to RAW because I do believe it best mimics what they'd get in the wild, the better processed kibble is fine, cheap & convenient - just like burgers are fine for us - just not the best...

I'm not too bothered what pet owners feed their dogs, just like I'm not bothered by what parents feed their kids - but if there is a 'better' choice in whatever type of feed you choose, at whatever budget you have, then why not give folk a pointer [geddit].

...but for me, and Kerry, the biggest bonus is the huge reduction in poop :LOL:.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Try Butternut Box in my post above yours, if I was going to feed a wet cooked food I think that would be it.
I can recommend after 13 years of testing this food. He has only ever had this food plus the occasional boiled salmon or white fish. Now 13 he could be mistaken for a dog half his age and I dont think he has ever had a soft stall.
http://www.waitrosepet.com/dog/dry-dog-food/wafcol-adult-large-giant-salmon-potato

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back