Bailey Losing Fresh Water (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Have carried out a search here but have not found the answer. In early December we drained the Bailey 620 Approach ready for the winter. Van is stored indoors but it still gets quite cold in there. Drained the Truma boiler by lifting the yellow drain valve to vertical and also ensured the water holding tank was empty by unscrewing the plug from the inspection hatch.

Today we drove to the coast for three days and as we knew we could get water on site, we didn’t fill up where the van’s stored. Filled up at the site turned the Truma drain valve to horizontal and heated some water. Filled the kettle, washed hands etc and all seemed well untilI came to wash up after supper. Turned tap on but there was nothing. No pump noise, no water. Checked the water level and it was 0%. I had put over 80litres in earlier.

Added a further 60 litres and as there was water (for a while) the pump worked but in 5 minutes was down to 30 Litres. It is dar now and peeing down but I had a look under the van with a torch and could see a steady trickle of water that seemed to be running down a little chain, similar to one connected to the bung in the fresh water tank. It doesn’t follow that the leak is connected to the chain; it may be that the water runs down the chain being the lowest point.
We can manage for the three days by using a 5 litre bottle to fill the kettle and can hand wash ok but we do need to get it sorted. I may be able to see more in the morning but wonder whether there may be something I’ve overlooked.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Did you put the drain plug back in properly as the chain is normally inside the tank
Yes, I did. The chain is inside the water tank. Not sure what the other chain is. Have never noticed this other chain hanging down before.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Could the plug have come off the chain and it's the chain dangling and the plug is still inside the tank?

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Could the plug have come off the chain and it's the chain dangling and the plug is still inside the tank?
I thought that but if you open the inspection hole of the tank you can see the chain still attached to the plug. All I can think is that the plug isn’t in properly. In the morning, as all the water will have drained away, I’ll remove the plug and fit it again. But I fear something worse.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
has the frost valve opened?fill up turn on pump and see if its coming out under the van

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
has the frost valve opened?fill up turn on pump and see if its coming out under the van
This does describe what happens. Filled up, run a sink full and and saw water running out as described in first post.
if it is the frost valve (notwithstanding the absence of frost🙂) where is a d what can I do about it? Thanks.

Bevlar

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2019
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Bavaria i600 A class
Exp
Since 2009
Has the Truma boiler drain valve re-seated properly? I have to press a button on the boiler drain valve (which is not that easy to locate) before I turn the valve to horizontal otherwise it continues to drain.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Could the drain plug in the tank have been put back in wrong, trapping part of the chain and stopping it sealing?

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
Filled up at the site turned the Truma drain valve to horizontal
If you didn’t close the drain valve before filling, could some of the water have flowed out? Mine would have and doesn’t need the pump, on but it is old.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Has the Truma boiler drain valve re-seated properly? I have to press a button on the boiler drain valve (which is not that easy to locate) before I turn the valve to horizontal otherwise it continues to drain.
No button on ours. But I can't do anymore tonight and will post progress in the morning. Thanks all.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Could the drain plug in the tank have been put back in wrong, trapping part of the chain and stopping it sealing?
Doesn’t look like it. But will check in the morning. 👍

Deleted User
I have had a water tank empty by syphoning through the frost valve without the pump running.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
almost certain its the frost valve it will be directly above where the water is exiting the van two diffent types one is a pull up to reset the other push in and twist the knob
more info https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/truma-frost-drain-will-not-shut.255196/
Ours doesn’t have an anti-frost valve. It has a yellow lever (not on the boiler body itself) that you move to the vertical position to drain and back to the horizontal to close. See photo. Drizzling at moment but will check the plug fitting as others have suggested. Will report later. Will also try moving the yellow drain lever several times in case there is some grit preventing full closure though I doubt this is the issue as the boiler itself isn’t leaking.
C3711946-3778-4A13-B34D-90D9E4C6B127.jpeg

Last edited:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
re your last post, if the water is coming from where the pipe goes through the van, then it must be the valve from the heater as opposed to the tank itself?

as they appear to be push fit fittings, it isnt difficult to replace the drain tap itself if it does prove to be the issue

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i suspect you may have one thats hidden as i said trace it to above where the water is dropping ours (not the same van ) is hidden behind the trauma ive never actually seen it but can feel it to reset ive not seen a van without one as it part of the specifacition for the heater to have one fitted

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Further to my last post, attached is a photo of the relevant page of the supplied manual which shows the Frost Valve as an optional extra.
9E6D72B2-91A9-444D-A6F5-647DC9FDDFA2.png

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
also try flipping the yellow lever the other way, I've heard of someone with this problem and it leaked one way but not the other, makes no sense to me but it worked.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Well, hopefully, the matter’s sorted. I washed my hands and reached into the freshwater tank and removed the plug. I then cleaned the plug itself and using a clean cloth also cleaned the plug hole. Then pushed the plug in making sure it was well seated all round.
Filled the tank, looked underneath and no leak!
Thanks for all who posted and offered help and advice.
Now for the rain to stop! 👍

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back