Bailey has crossed the rainbow bridge to doggy heaven but can you help? (1 Viewer)

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
At 10.30pm on New Years Day our wonderful bichon frise Bailey crossed over rainbow bridge to doggy heaven. He went peacefully in my arms.

We are totally devastated. He was diagnosed with pancreatitis on New Years Eve and on New Years Day he had no pancreatitis but hepatitis, jaundice and acute kidney failure. All within the space of 48 hours. The Vet did the best they could but to no avail and it all happened so quickly.

He was vaccinated every year without fail since we rescued him and well cared for so we are at a loss how he could have hepatitis when vaccinated against it. I have double checked the vaccine he was given. I am at a total loss. He had turned 9 on 23rd December still so young. If anyone can give any idea as to what caused this or if you suffered a similar loss I would be most grateful to hear from you.

I am now worried for our other bichons Dolly and Snowflake. Any advice greatly appreciated as I have a funeral on 3rd and they are operating on my vocal chords on 6th so my stress levels are now sky high.

Hope you are all having a better 2020 than we are xxx

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Very sad, Rip Bailey.

The vaccine against canine hepatitis is not normally given annually, but as a booster every three years or so. I would check when your other dogs were vaccinated. Even if it was within the last three years, and especially if it was at the same time as Bailey, you could discuss with your vet whether they should be done again. It's not impossible there was a duff lot of vaccine.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
So sorry to hear this. RIP Bailey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I am so sorry.

I miss my dog even though it is over 20 years ago ...... again a rescue dog and I always wonder if the bad start meant she wasn't as resilient to disease as she also died young.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018
Funster No
Not a good start for the new year losing a loved pet is devastating my thoughts are with you ?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I don't know a thing about canine vaccines but do know on a lot of human vaccines they only work against some strains of virus and there are no doubt many types of organ failure as there are in humans. Its normal to want a reason why as people do when they have illness but I think there is a danger in getting into the crank theories especially when it comes down to vaccinations, drug side effects etc. If you are worried about your other dogs I would go to the vet if you trust them and discuss it , if you dont trust them find one you do.
Sorry to hear about your dog ours is 11 1/2 now and the thought that sooner or later we will be without him is not pleasant.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry to hear of your loss :crying1:.
Perhaps, in due course, go and have a chat to your vet about your concerns?
AFAIK pancreatitis can very rapidly lead to other organ failure which would give the symptoms you describe.
Did the vet do a post mortem?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
So sorry to hear about Bailey Gail, we are thinking of you at this sad time

Best wishes for your Op too, very stressful indeed

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
So sorry to hear about Bailey. What a traumatic new year you have had. Different animal but we lost a pony to Equine Grass Sickness over 10 years ago. I was heartbroken and read widely to try to work out how to avoid it in the future. It’s part of the grieving process.

Two years ago his successor contracted the same disease. It was pure fluke as he was grazed somewhere completely different and had no similar risk factors. Luckily the vet at the vet school was pioneering a new treatment ...Nicoll had less than a 5% chance of survival but pulled through.

There may or may not be an answer to you questions but only a vet can advise. I’m guessing that, as with is, there may not be a clear answer. Vaccinations are not 100% effective though. Sadly, you might just have been unlucky.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
So sorry.
I have passed on to my daughter who is a vet and also her dog suffered from pancreatitis so she knows what you are going through. Here is her reply.

Firstly I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my own dog a few months back and I still really struggle to even say his name or talk about it.
If you have questions please do call your vet or send them an email or letter if like me you can’t talk about it on the phone. They will be the best people to explain what’s happened to your beloved pooch.

The dog vaccines do cover a disease called hepatitis caused by adenovirus. However hepatitis can be caused by lots of other things too like bacteria, inflammation and it’s possible if the pancreatitis was linked to the hepatitis in some way (best to ask your vet as without the notes it’s impossible to comment on what caused what).

I very much doubt your dog died from adenovirus as the vaccines are very effective although in very cases the dog’s immune system doesn’t adequately respond to the vaccine given and therefore his defences are not 100%.

Tell your vet you are worried about the other dogs and ask they think it’s a good idea to test for infectious diseases (I expect they will say no need to worry).

I hope this helps a little.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
And she has sent a little more information on the diagnosis

Hepatitis- means inflammation of the liver. Can be caused by lots of different things.

Jaundice is the yellow colour of the skin/eyes and urine found in patients with a failing liver (or newborn babies)

Acute kidney failure means all of a sudden the kidneys stopped working. Again lots of different reasons but sounds like it might have been multiple organ failure. Unfortunately it would be very unlikely for any human or animal even if previous well to recover from kidney/multiple organ failure even with all the best treatment available

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
So sorry to hear of you loosing your dog Bailey.

Horrible time for you all.

OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Thank you all so much for your kind words and support. Riverbank Annie please thank your daughter the extra information helped greatly. We have had our other two rescue bichons checked out and they have no similar symptoms but they are missing Bailey and not eating as they should but this I am sure will change soon GRianan great to hear Nicoll pulled through. Hugs to you all xxx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back