May 14, 2017
Barry
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
Since 2012
Hi All
My name is Roy and I'm new to the Group, I own a 2012 745 Approach. Because of circumstance, I haven't been able to use my Bailey as much as I would have liked this year and once a week I run it for about 30 minutes. Last week I started her up and after about 5 mins I could smell what I thought was an electrical fire, I immediately turned the engine off and found a small fire had started in the Leisure Battery compartment, by where the mains socket and the TV Ariel are. The back of this and the lead to the Leisure battery was all bent and melted. I consider myself lucky, because I normally walk away and leave it running? I have been told it could be the Leisure Battery being at fault? But I don't know? Has anyone ever had this happen and did they find the cause? I have replaced the box and all the leads, but haven't reconnected the Leisure Battery until I know what went wrong, Thanks in anticipation Roy.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Sounds like you were lucky you noticed it Roy, could've been a disaster, can't help with any info but wish you all the best (y)

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
I'm on the bailey owners fb page and have not heard that one mentioned and you do generally get the same problems occurring at some stage sorry can't be of more help

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would say a dead short circuit to earth in a battery pos wire or within the battery itself.
Had it been the battery gassing and ignited by a spark it would explode, not burn.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It should be easy enough to spot the source of the fire so if you can't I would get somebody else to look at it before connecting everything back up.

Martin

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hello, and welcome to the Fun :hiya:
Wow, that's some introduction Roy! Thank goodness you were alert enough to notice the smell.
As usual for me, sorry I can't help; but plenty on here will.

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
:hi2:
Sorry to hear about the problems - have a good look around all the lockers for mouse droppings - the little blighters get everywhere and chew cables. Favourite place in my Approach 620 is up around the back of the boiler as they can gnaw through the plastic floor vent quite easily. We used to keep our dogs food under that seat when travelling until we were invaded.

OP
OP
Roy Guttridge

Roy Guttridge

Free Member
May 14, 2017
Barry
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for the Welcome and all for your advice on this, I'm getting the battery checked and will by a new one if needed, will keep you all updated ✔️

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
wow lucky you never left it , close call :)

OP
OP
Roy Guttridge

Roy Guttridge

Free Member
May 14, 2017
Barry
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
Since 2012
Latest news,
Had Battery checked, it had DAMAGED CELLS I've replaced the battery and checked the wiring for heat when running and now all seems fine??? Fingers crossed
From now on, I will make sure my Leisure Battery is in tip top condition✔️✔️ Again thanks for all the comments and help with this.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Pleased you've got to the bottom of the problem, Roy!
Now that we can all breathe again, I hope you won't mind me mentioning that to continue to be able to post on here (after your first few "free" posts), and to be able to access everything on the forum, join groups, book onto rallies, and take advantage of Funsters discounts and freebies, you'll need to pay subs - the best £15 you'll ever spend!
(see 'subscriber' button on the top bar)

Happy and safe travels!

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Pleased you've got to the bottom of the problem, Roy!
Now that we can all breathe again, I hope you won't mind me mentioning that to continue to be able to post on here (after your first few "free" posts), and to be able to access everything on the forum, join groups, book onto rallies, and take advantage of Funsters discounts and freebies, you'll need to pay subs - the best £15 you'll ever spend!
(see 'subscriber' button on the top bar)

Happy and safe travels!

I totally agree with CWH. I hope you will think that you have had £15s worth of advice already. Think what you might get in the course of a year. Glad you had a happy ending : you had a few of us on tenterhooks! :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back