Bailey Autograph overhead lockers (1 Viewer)

Pand1958

Free Member
Jun 7, 2017
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 75-2
Exp
I'm new
Hi all, anyone out there with a Bailey Autograph with the aircraft type overhead lockers, we have the 75-2 and find that the lockers come open during travel, been back to the dealers who say they have checked and adjusted them, they where better but still come open on a bumpy road.
Just wondered if anyone had experienced this and found a solution ??
Contacted Bailey who are looking into it but they don't seem to be in to much of a rush.

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
We have Bailey 625, our lockers are absolutely fine, just driven down to France with full lockers and none came open.
However we would like them to open up wider.

OP
OP
Pand1958

Pand1958

Free Member
Jun 7, 2017
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 75-2
Exp
I'm new
Its the extra wide ones that come open, they don't latch like normal doors, they've got non magnetic push to open catches

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ive always found its the contents moving that opens lockers and cupboards dropping the backs of the shelves slightly holds contents in place or boxes inside to do the same will help
ive racked out several work vans and always angle shelves down at the back im suprised motorhome manufacturers dont do similar it stops stuff sliding

OP
OP
Pand1958

Pand1958

Free Member
Jun 7, 2017
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 75-2
Exp
I'm new
Thanks for your responses all, though it sounds as though ours is a different issue. The lockers were empty so contents definitely weren't an issue. It's the bouncing of the van that's causing the doors to become unlatched. The dealership have given us some cork dampers to try and resolve the problem. Let's hope they work - we really do need to put some stuff up there for our next big adventure.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
It's the bouncing of the van that's causing the doors to become unlatched. The dealership have given us some cork dampers to try and resolve the problem. Let's hope they work - we really do need to put some stuff up there for our next big adventure.

Let the tires down a bit. If you get it weighed (y) you can then get the tire manufacturers to give you the correct tire pressures rather than the Dealers ' pump um up as hard as you can approach '

We don't put anything heavy in overhead lockers. Glass jars and anything that could fall and do damage when the locker gets opened. Some of these full length lockers with one catch in the middle are dreadful. How are you supposed to open them and check nothing is about to fall out.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
My wife belongs to the Bailey Owners group on Facebook - apparently on there a lot of owners of the new model Baileys are reporting exactly the same problem.

Pete54

Free Member
Aug 31, 2017
Funster No
We've had exactly the same problem with the lockers and it occurs when they are empty. It's back with the dealer next week for it to be sorted, we hope.

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Sounds like the 75-2 should be on a recall then doesn't it?
My 625 is fine but hope all you who buy the newbies get all the snagging out the way for when I'm looking to upgrade:dance2:

OP
OP
Pand1958

Pand1958

Free Member
Jun 7, 2017
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 75-2
Exp
I'm new
Thanks all!
The bouncing isn't about the tyre pressures - more about living along a very bumpy road in wildest Norfolk. And I'm not storing anything up there at the moment just in case.
Looks like Bailey are going to have come up with an answer for all of us. Sooner rather than later.
And thanks for the Facebook group info Solwaybuggier - straight on it!

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
We have the 62-5 and they have the same lockers. Mainly they were OK but one of them didn't open/close quite right. Looking up from below showed that the catch was not so well aligned. On examining the catch there is a little knob in the centre which is free to wiggle about so adjusting it didn't really have much effect. What I found has worked is taking few mm of coated wiring and inserting it to the space above the knob which keeps it at the lower end of its travel. This has been effective so far. (y)

Wyn

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Take it back. Not fit for purpose. That will give the Dealership something to think about :rolleyes:. At the end of the day it's just down to saving money and making MORE PROFIT. The cheaper the bits you can get away with fitting the less it costs to manufacture.

Stevies Dad

Free Member
Sep 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
3years
Hi. I have an Autograph 75-2. Catches adjusted twice. Just got the van back and the lockers came open on the motorway coming home. We bought some of those little scouring sponges which we close the lockers onto...it works. I guess I will just go back to that. C.£55k and we are into 30p sponges to keep them shut and nor have the underwear etc all over the van.??

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Since 2008
Day we picked our 75-2 up, lockers came open on rough road. Contacted dealer who immediately sent us another set of new catches if problem persisted. That was back in March and since then the lockers have clicked open maybe 3 or 4 times. Yes, it's a bit of an annoyance, no, it shouldn't happen on a £55,000 vehicle, will it sour our ownership? Hell no! Travelled 3000 miles across Europe over the summer and didn't happen once. It has only happened on very rough roads where the doors are obviously dipping over bumps and triggering the mechanism. I'm pretty sure that cork dampers would help, but TBH the rest of the van is so perfect for us that the occasional "click" isn't a big deal for us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back