Bailey Autograph - Noisy 'sunroof' (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Anyone know if the 2021/2 79-4T models have this issue or has it been sorted by Bailey. Ta.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Anyone know if the 2021/2 79-4T models have this issue or has it been sorted by Bailey. Ta.
My friend took delivery last Friday and returned it Monday with a few issues including the cab roof window whistling so i guess no ,my 794 was locked fully virtually fron day one .

Markco

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2019
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Autotrail apache 700
Exp
Since june 2019
My brother in law has a 21 model 79/4f and there still fitting the wrong seal it should b a 28mm seal not 24 mm the wind noise is unbelievable at 50mph

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

frenchie 79

Free Member
May 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
c class
We did our first 'long distance' run to the Lake District and back last weekend. Does anyone else have a problem with the over cab 'sunroof' suffering a lot of wind noise? On the motorway, its so loud I can't have a proper conversation with 'er indoors (some would see this as a blessing in disguise). At one point I considered shoving ear plugs in. I've heard of a 'fix' but I don't know which model year this 'fix' applies to. Mine is a 2017. Any advise, as always, gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.
We have a bailey autograph 2020 it does the same.Taking it in nxt weekend & hopefully one of the problems they will fix šŸ¤žWe canā€™t leave it there as itā€™s taking up to 3 months to get parts from Bristol.So they will fix what they can & then will have to go back again when parts arrive.8 hour round journey.We also met a couple while away that had the same problem with their 2021 bailey autograph.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
We have a bailey autograph 2020 it does the same.Taking it in nxt weekend & hopefully one of the problems they will fix šŸ¤žWe canā€™t leave it there as itā€™s taking up to 3 months to get parts from Bristol.So they will fix what they can & then will have to go back again when parts arrive.8 hour round journey.We also met a couple while away that had the same problem with their 2021 bailey autograph.
This has been an ongoing problem since 2017 and still not resolved, with all the ongoing faults had to swallow my pride and brought German and youve guessed no issues !

Jul 15, 2015
Isleham Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2012
Friend of ours had the same problem with a 2017 Bailey,driving down the motorway passed a lorry and the roof window ripped off. After a few arguments with the Bailey dealer they agreed to replace to window Bailey agreed it was an issue on that model And completed the replacement free of charge.

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
We had 2020 autograph, same issue, did get sorted, but along with many others, sold bought german, I think it's not as stylish but feels more solid. Hope you get it sorted and enjoy it.

William34

Free Member
Mar 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-6 Coachbui
Hi
our796/6 is now 12 months old wind noise as you stay stops you having a conversation
we had our seal replaced under warranty took a few months but now done but not tested

Dec 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
We did our first 'long distance' run to the Lake District and back last weekend. Does anyone else have a problem with the over cab 'sunroof' suffering a lot of wind noise? On the motorway, its so loud I can't have a proper conversation with 'er indoors (some would see this as a blessing in disguise). At one point I considered shoving ear plugs in. I've heard of a 'fix' but I don't know which model year this 'fix' applies to. Mine is a 2017. Any advise, as always, gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.
Same here - 2017 model. Be careful. Ours blew open on motorway last week even though the 4 catches were closed tight. The two top catches dont clip very far under the bracket. The rail the lower front of the unit fits into allows it to move. It should be hinged. Lucky the two 'stays' were tight. Bottom of unit has split a little. Will ask dealer for advice.

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Caravan owner moved on to Motorhome
Same here - 2017 model. Be careful. Ours blew open on motorway last week even though the 4 catches were closed tight. The two top catches dont clip very far under the bracket. The rail the lower front of the unit fits into allows it to move. It should be hinged. Lucky the two 'stays' were tight. Bottom of unit has split a little. Will ask dealer for advice.
Hi Steve. Yes, the design is all a bit 'shonky' & 'Heath Robinson'.
I had the 'replacement seal' fix done soon after this post. However, since then I've placed 1" foam strip all around the roof light, this disturbs the airflow and its all very quiet. Also, as a precaution we travel with straps holding the roof closed. I have also suggested to others who have had this fail, that they report the incident to the DVSA and get a 'recall' raised. If these roof lights blow off on the motorway it could cause an accident.

Jul 15, 2015
Isleham Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2012
Friend of ours has a 2017 Bailey his blow open luckily didnā€™t rip off, after quite a struggle Bailey admitted it was a fault and replaced the complete window and the problem is now resolved.

frenchie 79

Free Member
May 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
c class
We are getting a new one.Motorhome still under warranty.Just waiting for it to come into work shop šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

tapike

Free Member
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 76-4
Hi Steve. Yes, the design is all a bit 'shonky' & 'Heath Robinson'.
I had the 'replacement seal' fix done soon after this post. However, since then I've placed 1" foam strip all around the roof light, this disturbs the airflow and its all very quiet. Also, as a precaution we travel with straps holding the roof closed. I have also suggested to others who have had this fail, that they report the incident to the DVSA and get a 'recall' raised. If these roof lights blow off on the motorway it could cause an accident.
Hi Paul, we picked up our 2nd hand & out of warranty 76-4t a couple of weeks ago. Took it out this weekend & have the same issue with the cab sunroof. Just about to purchase the foam strip! You say that you 'travel with straps holding the roof closed', please can you advise what straps you use & how you do this? Many thanks.

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Hi there...
I use these red straps from Fiamma.. sure they're very long but I cut them down to a suitable length... they do the job. When 'strapping down', I loop the strap over the telescopic rod on the roof and down through the hand hold above the drivers/passenger door. Don't strap it down so tight that you break the rod.
When fitting the foam strip, with hindsight I should have stuck the foam to the body and not the roof itself. Reason: when the foam gets wet and you open the roof, the foam drips into the cab :doh:
Fiamma straps

tapike

Free Member
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 76-4
Hi there...
I use these red straps from Fiamma.. sure they're very long but I cut them down to a suitable length... they do the job. When 'strapping down', I loop the strap over the telescopic rod on the roof and down through the hand hold above the drivers/passenger door. Don't strap it down so tight that you break the rod.
When fitting the foam strip, with hindsight I should have stuck the foam to the body and not the roof itself. Reason: when the foam gets wet and you open the roof, the foam drips into the cab :doh:
Fiamma straps
Great, many thanks for that šŸ‘šŸ¤ž

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Hi there...
Fiamma straps
But is there a permanent fix??

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
But is there a permanent fix??
Some have said that there is 'another' replacement seal, but this doesn't stop the roof being ripped off the roof, the front hinge is so shonky. Unless Bailey are 'forced' to recall the affected units then nothing much will happen. I'd rather prevent the roof being ripped off rather than wait for it to disappear down the AutoBahn while I'm touring around Europe.

I find dealing with Bailey (no disrespect to my dealer) and their warranty process is like placing burning bamboo under my toenails... very painful.

tapike

Free Member
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 76-4
Some have said that there is 'another' replacement seal, but this doesn't stop the roof being ripped off the roof, the front hinge is so shonky. Unless Bailey are 'forced' to recall the affected units then nothing much will happen. I'd rather prevent the roof being ripped off rather than wait for it to disappear down the AutoBahn while I'm touring around Europe.

I find dealing with Bailey (no disrespect to my dealer) and their warranty process is like placing burning bamboo under my toenails... very painful.
Ouch! Yes, as with many retailers - as soon as they have your money...šŸ™

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class

Allegedly Baileys policy is not to recall and its down to the owner to complain.The only official recall was the wheel nuts coming loose and that was because Dvla/ dvsa got involved .

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Whilst i appreciate one should not have these issues on a new van is it such a big job to fix it oneself, or your friendly MH service centre??

tapike

Free Member
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 76-4
Whilst i appreciate one should not have these issues on a new van is it such a big job to fix it oneself, or your friendly MH service centre??
Well, I'm going to give PW's 'fixes' a try - thanks. However, on reading that some people have had their sunroof completely ripped off whilst driving along the motorway, I will be somewhat concerned when next out in it. It's a matter of health & safety for which Bailey should be held accountable.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I wonder if anyone from Baileys read this forum??
Mind you, there seems to be a few builders and chassis suppliers that don't give a toss. Probably because they can sell as many as they make with the faults so why bother.

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Allegedly Baileys policy is not to recall and its down to the owner to complain.The only official recall was the wheel nuts coming loose and that was because Dvla/ dvsa got involved .
Indeed. But unless people complain to DVSA/VOSA then they won't issue a recall unless they're aware of this problem. You can't just have things detaching themselves from vehicles, at speed due to shonky materials and workmanship. If anyone has had their roof disappear then they should report it here and not let Bailey keep it under the radar.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Indeed. But unless people complain to DVSA/VOSA then they won't issue a recall unless they're aware of this problem. You can't just have things detaching themselves from vehicles, at speed due to shonky materials and workmanship. If anyone has had their roof disappear then they should report it here and not let Bailey keep it under the radar.
I did report it to many organisations nothing so did the best thing i ever did got rid brought German šŸ˜„

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Bailey are fully aware of the issue but i hear wont voluntary sort it. They need forcing to. Yet they pay for it to be done under warranty (i've heard) weird.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Bailey are fully aware of the issue but i hear wont voluntary sort it. They need forcing to. Yet they pay for it to be done under warranty (i've heard) weird.
Probably because many dont use the MH that much and never realise the many issues, like i said Bailey only deal with issues if you push them through your dealer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back