Bailey Autograph 745 bad awning fit (1 Viewer)

mrhappydog

Free Member
Dec 30, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner IT728G
Exp
Hi
I bought the van new in February and had the dealer fit a Fiamma F45 zip awning. Shortly afterwards we headed down to Corsica and Italy (it was a bit early in the year but good because everything was so quiet). We only got back to England last week.
It was only when we used it we realised that they had fitted it on brackets against the side of the van and thus rain just pours between the van and the awning casing and down the side of the van. As we were away long term we got an Italian motorhome dealer to put sealant (200 euros worth) all along the gap. It is important to be a dry area as we often use the privacy room.
Does anyone know why they fitted this is such a strange way? I am seeing the dealer that supplied and fitted it this week but wanted any views you may have in advance.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I think it is something to do with the brackets used (obvious answer, but not a daft one.....) Our Pilote has the same gap and looking at it there was no other way to do it. Not sure about the Bailey but there may well be a good reason.

However, there is an easy solution - you can get a Fiamma filler strip in whatever length you need and also in different sizes depending upon the gap between the awning and the van side. Johns Cross do them plus you get a Funster discount

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/fiamma-rain-guard-small.html
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/fiamma-rain-guard-medium.html
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/fiamma-rain-guard-large.html

OP
OP
mrhappydog

mrhappydog

Free Member
Dec 30, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner IT728G
Exp
Thank you DuxDeluxe tried that and there is no filler strip big enough that would stay in place.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Oh........ that is a real problem. Back to the dealer. Haven't heard of anyone else with this issue :(

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Had exactly the same thing with my 745 and the identical awning. The dealer just said that was the way they did it. We don't use the awning in the rain so its not a real problem, but we do get a lot of leaves and twigs stuck in the gap, which is annoying.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The gap on the Pilote can be "bridged" but we haven't really bothered with it for the same reasons as above. We do need a drip rail above the driver's window, though. Water has a habit of coming down the side of the van when manoeuvering in the rain.........

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Not unusual to fit it on brackets - Fiamma sell different size ones for using in different situations. They also sell sealant strips that fit into the custom slot on the fiamma awning - see the previous link. They can fit gaps up to 9cm, i.e almost 4". Can't see how it could have been that big if it was filled with sealant!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi
I bought the van new in February and had the dealer fit a Fiamma F45 zip awning. Shortly afterwards we headed down to Corsica and Italy (it was a bit early in the year but good because everything was so quiet). We only got back to England last week.
It was only when we used it we realised that they had fitted it on brackets against the side of the van and thus rain just pours between the van and the awning casing and down the side of the van. As we were away long term we got an Italian motorhome dealer to put sealant (200 euros worth) all along the gap. It is important to be a dry area as we often use the privacy room.
Does anyone know why they fitted this is such a strange way? I am seeing the dealer that supplied and fitted it this week but wanted any views you may have in advance.
Please tell me that was a typo and it was only 20 euros for the sealant!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I think it is something to do with the brackets used (obvious answer, but not a daft one.....) Our Pilote has the same gap and looking at it there was no other way to do it. Not sure about the Bailey but there may well be a good reason.

However, there is an easy solution - you can get a Fiamma filler strip in whatever length you need and also in different sizes depending upon the gap between the awning and the van side. Johns Cross do them plus you get a Funster discount

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/fiamma-rain-guard-small.html
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/fiamma-rain-guard-medium.html
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/fiamma-rain-guard-large.html
Great tip DUCK, take a well deserved like! Will get some of that meself. (y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
You could use duck tape instead. Recommended;)
Will have to make sure that the ridge is present in my early pattern awning case....It should be, everything else corresponds to the later kit.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Without the brackets the awning would not be correctly fitted. you need the rain strip as mentioned above its easy to fit bit not cheap.
what you have is a normal fit.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yes, mine is fitted on brackets and it is the only way. Our first van had the same awning but it was pretty well flush fitting

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
Hi Mr Happy dog
Have the Bailey 750 and same awning as you and yes it is fitted the same way, due to the Brackets supplied with the Fiamma F45 zip awning. Like Dux Deluxe says, the way I closed the gap was to use the fiamma-rain-guard-large.
It does fit into a Channel on the top back of the F45 and I have laid the other side of the rain guard onto the roof , It's quite flexible and you can seal it with silicon, it made a perfect job
ie no rain coming down the wall inside the awning.
Hope that helps

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back