Bailey Autograph 2 - Update and Modifications (1 Viewer)

DaveH46

Free Member
Jul 9, 2016
Derbyshire UK
Funster No
MH
C Class low line
Exp
We have had our motorhome a few months now and I'm just about getting it to where I want it.
Here's a list of a few modifications I have done to improve things

TV
A recent trip to a site with remote TV hookup proved frustrating - the aerial connector under the flap on the nearside proved to be a "TV OUT" point... WTF ?...
I cant ever imagine wanting to watch a TV outside, but each to their own...my modification now sees the connection as "TV IN" for ease of external TV point connection.
This is reversible in seconds if I ever want to watch TV in the awning.
Basically I have replaced the cheapo Vison Plus amplifier with the better version which incorporated a signal finder.(not necessary for the modification)
It is a straight swap and much more user friendly...the difference in price is so minimal I don't know why Bailey don't fit them as standard.

Step 1 - determine which cable is connected to the ouside point - use a multimeter set to continuity testing - mine was the lead shown in the photo.
Step 2 Purchase a Switch for BK and SAT Systems F Connector - 2x F Connectors - mine was £11 off ebay - it allows push button switching between two signal sources
Step 3 - Remove External "TV Out" cable from TV amplifier and connect to one input side of switch
Step 4 Remove Original antenna input from TV amplifier and connect to other side of switch
Step 5 Buy a short flyead to connect sitch output to signal in connector on amplifier.

Job done - you can now easily hookup external TV source or use roof antenna at the push of a button !!

TV Mods.jpg

External Shower Point
Photo shows a Bullfinch external shower point fitted to rear of van (Dog Wash !!)
This location is directly adjacent to hot & cold kitchen supply pipes on the 79-4T model (Hot=Red Cold = White)
A simple installation once the hole is drilled - there are no obstructions or framing in the wall to cause concern at this point on the exterior wall.

External Shower.jpg

Small Lounge table
The supplied underfloor table is practical but encroaches on living space a bit too much for my liking.
I have made an alternative 500mm round table which is perfect for the two of us.
The Under table conical connectors are available from Bailey or you nearest chandler (this system was developed for boats !) .
Simply screw connector centrally to bottom of a table top of your choice and away you go !

Small Table 1.jpg

Solar Meter
The solar meter shown in the below photo is plug and play with the Truma Controller.
It enables a full check of the system voltages etc without scrolling through the BCA panel
Solar Meter.jpg

Gutter Mod
I was anxious about the torrents of water running down the centre of rear bedroom windows during heavy rain... this is due to a jointing strip on the roof and a bad design on the 79 series.
I have fitted Fiamma drip stop to the entire offside and above the bedroom window on the nearside.
Problem sorted....and no more black streaks :)
drip stop.jpg

Hope the above prove useful to someone.
Dave H

Attachments

• drip stop.jpg
    drip stop.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 216
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the drip strips are easy to fit but much harder to fit straight and level warming them up before fitting helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

DaveH46

Free Member
Jul 9, 2016
Derbyshire UK
Funster No
MH
C Class low line
Exp
Put the entire length under traction for 24 hours to remove the memory effect of being coiled up, then a hot air gun to warm the strip and wall as you go along fixing it to the van

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Ordered the meter - thanks.

OP
OP
D

DaveH46

Free Member
Jul 9, 2016
Derbyshire UK
Funster No
MH
C Class low line
Exp
Re the meter.. You will need a flexible ethernet connection cable about 250mm.. The space at the rear is limited. I pared the insulation back to enable a 90 degree bend on the cable... It will be obvious when you see it(y)

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Re the meter.. You will need a flexible ethernet connection cable about 250mm.. The space at the rear is limited. I pared the insulation back to enable a 90 degree bend on the cable... It will be obvious when you see it(y)

Thanks - I have got some flat ones that came with my SONOS speakers.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Step 2 Purchase a Switch for BK and SAT Systems F Connector - 2x F Connectors - mine was £11 off ebay - it allows push button switching between two signal sources

Hi Dave
Interested in doing something similar on TV input. Do you happen to have a link to the above unit? Ta(y)

OP
OP
D

DaveH46

Free Member
Jul 9, 2016
Derbyshire UK
Funster No
MH
C Class low line
Exp
Not sure if we're allowed to post links for commercial stuff. If you search in eblag for the item exactly as I've typed it you should find the unit for sale (ie Switch for BK and SAT Systems F Connector - 2x F Connectors)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Not sure if we're allowed to post links for commercial stuff. If you search in eblag for the item exactly as I've typed it you should find the unit for sale (ie Switch for BK and SAT Systems F Connector - 2x F Connectors)
Many thanks. Found it.
Should be no probs posting a direct link.

Jan 23, 2017
St Albans,
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Really pleased I read your thread. There was I thinking what a plonker I was after twisting the Ariel around 360 degrees, raising it and lowering it. Opening the Ariel blade, twisting it around 360 degrees in every direction and still the light on the amplifier stayed RED. After reading the Bailey manual I was expecting it to go amber or green. Only got a patchy picture on the TV. After looking at your picture above I noticed it is a similar but different amplifier. Further investigation and a e-mail to Vision Plus reveals the one in my Bailey is a VM3, the LED is red to show power on!!! However the one described in the Bailey manual is a VM5 (as above) which does have a signal strength finder LED.
More annoying is Bailey knew of the mistake and have not bothered doing anything.

DLT

Sep 2, 2013
pencoed
Funster No
MH
swift c/built
Exp
Is yours 600 or 500 where did you get the leg fitting for the underside of the table. like you we find the table takes up to much room Thanks for your help. Dave

DLT

Sep 2, 2013
pencoed
Funster No
MH
swift c/built
Exp
sorry about all the questions just received read your tread again

GaryinPembs

Free Member
Oct 20, 2017
Funster No
Very interesting and informative. I was confused with the external TV connection as well when I was plugging into a site point and not really getting much joy. Thanks to this thread I've now sent for the components to enable switching between aerial and external point

Nov 6, 2016
Farnham surrey
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79_4. Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have had our motorhome a few months now and I'm just about getting it to where I want it.

TV
A recent trip to a site with remote TV hookup proved frustrating - the aerial connector under the flap on the nearside proved to be a "TV OUT" point... WTF ?...
I cant ever imagine wanting to watch a TV outside, but each to their own...my modification now sees the connection as "TV IN" for ease of external TV point connection.
Basically I have replaced the cheapo Vison Plus amplifier with the better version which incorporated a signal finder.(not necessary for the modification)
It is a straight swap and much more user friendly...the difference in price is so minimal I don't know why Bailey don't fit them as standard.

Step 1 - determine which cable is connected to the ouside point - use a multimeter set to continuity testing - mine was the lead shown in the photo.
Step 3 - Remove External "TV Out" cable from TV amplifier and connect to one input side of switch
Step 4 Remove Original antenna input from TV amplifier and connect to other side of switch
Step 5 Buy a short flyead to connect sitch output to signal in connector on amplifier.

Job done - you can now easily hookup external TV source or use roof antenna at the push of a button !!

View attachment 191953
External Shower Point
Photo shows a Bullfinch external shower point fitted to rear of van (Dog Wash !!)
This location is directly adjacent to hot & cold kitchen supply pipes on the 79-4T model (Hot=Red Cold = White)
A simple installation once the hole is drilled - there are no obstructions or framing in the wall to cause concern at this point on the exterior wall.

View attachment 191954

Small Lounge table
The supplied underfloor table is practical but encroaches on living space a bit too much for my liking.
I have made an alternative 500mm round table which is perfect for the two of us.
The Under table conical connectors are available from Bailey or you nearest chandler (this system was developed for boats !) .
Simply screw connector centrally to bottom of a table top of your choice and away you go !

View attachment 191955

Solar Meter
The solar meter shown in the below photo is plug and play with the Truma Controller.
It enables a full check of the system voltages etc without scrolling through the BCA panelView attachment 191958

Gutter Mod
I was anxious about the torrents of water running down the centre of rear bedroom windows during heavy rain... this is due to a jointing strip on the roof and a bad design on the 79 series.
I have fitted Fiamma drip stop to the entire offside and above the bedroom window on the nearside.
View attachment 191966

Dave H
Hi Dave, great tips as I also have a bailey 79-4i, have ordered the switch for the TV, would you happen to know what sort of cable is required to hook up to a digital source on site? Thanks Kev.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Just a normal TV Coax with male TV plug on one end and FType male on the other end.

Dixxeee

Free Member
Sep 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4i
Hi Dave - we also have a 79-4 and found similar frustrations and more. One option we came up with for the table, albeit initially a temporary fix, was to unscrew the fixing plate from the floor (right hand one as you look from the door) and attach it to the table leg and lock it in place. This allows you to swivel the table into any position. Gives lots of options with added preparation space when set with thin end of table pointing towards the kitchen sink. Of course I will caveat all this by saying its a ‘floating’ leg so care should be taken, but as stable as when set in its original location

Andyfozz

Free Member
Mar 26, 2020
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Dave i did the same with my table, makes it a lot roomier and easy to sit around. As it sounds like your all bailey owners i have a request please,
our island bed 79/4 I 2018 has some bottom slats missing/broken can any one please send me a picture of the bottom slats so i can see what i need to order.

Dixxeee

Free Member
Sep 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4i
I have same year and model. can you give more info on what it is you want? You say you have some slats so isn’t that enough to order?
let me know

Ian 794T

Free Member
Oct 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph794T
Exp
Since 2020

TV

View attachment 191953
External Shower Point

View attachment 191954

Small Lounge table

View attachment 191955

Solar Meter
It enables a full check of the system voltages etc without scrolling through the BCA panelView attachment 191958

Gutter Mod
View attachment 191966

Dave H
Hi Dave, I am puzzled at what you fitted the drip strip to? I have a 79-4T and it has no strip to feed it in to. The black marks are really annoying and would love to cure it. Ian

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Hi Dave,

what are the model / part numbers for the fridge / freezer external vent covers please ?

thanks
Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back