Free Member
Mar 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 70-6
Exp
Just bought it!
Hi,

We've just bought our first motorhome, a Bailey Advance 70-6. Does anyone else have one and do you have any advice or things for us to watch out for?

Thanks

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Congratulations on your new Bailey. As a 6 berth and 3500kg the obvious answer would be to watch how much kit and water etc. you are carrying. It says 610kgs payload from memory. Load it up with all your kit and passengers and take it to a local weighbridge and check front axle, rear axle and combined weights. This will allow you to distribute your payload correctly. There is a thread on a Bailey Facebook page about tyre pressures being incorrect on the labels Bailey provide. Might be worth a discussion with your dealer.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hi and Welcome..
1583948711549.png
....Kev and Carolyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Helen,

If you need all six berths and travel seats then you'll really need to watch your payload Other than that its a great van (y)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
we bought a Bailey Approach Autograph 754 at the end of November last year and are pleased with it so far and no reason to suspect we wont be in the future. its a bit like life, it isnt perfect but its pretty damn good !1

Jul 26, 2019
Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
McLoius Fusion
Exp
Since 2019
Hi Helen

Same MH as ours. We have added a pull out wire basket in the cupboard next to the oven for tinned food. Kept the existing cupboard shelf and fitted the wire basket a few inches above the shelf, which leaves enough room to put things like foil etc on the shelf.

Amazon product ASIN B00Q4KPMX0
Also, a lightweight velour Ottoman from B & M which fits nicely across the width of the rear lounge for extra storage and using as a footstool. The slats for making up the rear lounge bed fit nicely over it which does give the bed extra support.
CE7654A7-1FB0-4493-A038-9D1FFCBC3EC6.jpeg

We did have an issue with the water pump and took it back to the dealers but it stopped working shortly after getting the van back. Hubby replaced it and has been fine since.

?

OP
OP
H

HelenN

Free Member
Mar 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 70-6
Exp
Just bought it!
Hi,
Thanks for all the useful replies. We hope to take it away for the first time this weekend!

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
Hi, currently have an Approach Advance 640 and previously a Autograph Approach 750. Water level indicator on control panel dodgey as always on both, tank sensors always need re-calibrating or replaced if it something that bothers you. Winterising 2019-20 I pumped fresh water tank empty then force purged the pump further. Tank still had 5" of water in it!. Opened drain plug and nothing happened. Tracked drain pipe back to tank outlet to find the outlet moulded fitting point had never been drilled out/badly moulded. Sorted by just drilling out, but without checking the water lever phsically and comparing the level indicator to what you can actually see, dont take it as an accurate indication. Obviously never been drained properly by previous owner and luckily never suffered any frost damage because of it. Other than that and a couple of niggley wee things Baileys are pretty good all round, water ingress not a major worry in wall construction due to the Alu-Tech, nothing overly fancy about them but that means nothing too fancy to go wrong aswell.
Some people have mentioned rear light clusters showing rusting! but not sure which model.
Alround very happy with both mine.

Korgrocker

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
I had a 2014 Approach 745 but moved it on two years ago - we got fed up with the hard ride from the AlKo transverse torsion bar suspension. It felt as though the suspension bottomed every time we went over a bump. I was told this is how it is - get over it! Inside the motorhome it became impossible to keep the microwave screwed down because of the hard and jarring ride - in the end I had to make a frame to screw the microwave to the shelf. But then the shelf started to part company with the cupboard. So I gave up and took advantage of a good trade in offer from a dealer in Preston. I have met another owner with the same problem but he ended up removing the microwave altogether because he never used it.
The only other issue I had was with high damp readings in the floor (20-35), but no obvious reason for it other than condensation.

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
Yeah they are meant to be supplied with micros that are screwed from underneath. Usually arent or screwed right into the Micro wrongly, so a Moho fitter/tech I know was telling me, sounds a bit dangerous.
The longer chassis Moho`s are a harder ride. Dunno if the torsion beam would do that though.

SixBerther

Banned
Apr 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
New Bailey Alliance
Exp
2 years
Hi
Yes I just bought a brand new Bailey Alliance 70-6 motorhome
I am having a lot of problems with it.

SixBerther

Banned
Apr 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
New Bailey Alliance
Exp
2 years
I have about 17 issues with it
Id rather not post all the dirt on here

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Hmmm! Bit pointless posting in the first place then - or am I missing something? People here may be able to help you especially with dealers being closed for the foreseeable future. If it is that bad you should you not reject it?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....

Hope you get the issue sorted out, i assume they vary from significant to unsignificant (but even those shouldnt be allowed to pass scrutiny !)

i have noticed a few minor issues with ours, although it wasnt brand new to us, that the original owner probably didnt bother about, such as cupboard handle on upside down, plastic trim over the fridge being cut too short and a couple of other things, all minor but perhaps should have been picked up. i am slowly working my way through them where i can.

dont be too bothered about pointing out all the 'issues' to the dealer/manufacturer however minor,

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Hi SixBerther no worries mate, I got a 2017 Autograph 79-6, had a few little niggles when I got it, all sorted easily under warranty (other than 1 outstanding pain in the proverbial with a seat squab that doesn't secure properly that in reality we don't use so keep forgetting to follow it up).

I have generally found that when a positive approach is taken when asking about any issues an equally positive answer will (where possible) be found from one of the many Bailey owners on here so if you have any outstanding problems feel free to ask (some of us may take the mickey a bit but all in good heart) all motorhomes no matter how big or small (cheap or expensive come to that) can have problems, trying to find help sorting them isn't dishing the dirt its simply looking for help and advice.

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Hi SixBerther sorry missed your earlier post making my last one a bit irrelevant (other than the generality of we are here to help and advise as best we can if help is what is wanted).
I have had a quick glance at your Blog and hope you manage to get the items sorted under the warranty, personally I have had no problems with getting warranty work done so hope you have the same experience I did and end up with the solution you are seeking, sometimes I have had to wait for parts to arrive (though this has generally not been to long). I have not yet read the whole blog but will certainly do so though as yours is a new van most of the areas I have so far seen should be relatively easy fixes for the dealer although this doesn't mean that it is acceptable for them to have been present in a van straight out of the factory (though a quick glance through these pages will show that it is a situation not unique to the British builders and is annoyingly common even in the high end European models I am not excusing it but merely commenting).
Whilst I have not personally used the dealer you did I have heard very good comments about them both on this forum and others so hopefully they will be able to help you get a satisfactory outcome as unfortunately most Motorhome builders (not all) will only deal through the dealer network.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back