Bailey 795 or Elddis. (1 Viewer)

Alvon

Free Member
Oct 19, 2017
Funster No
Very new to the whole MH thing and looking for our First MH.

Was really tied into Elddis MH’s and was looking at a 155 majestic probably new.

I then saw a 15 plate Bailey approach Autograph 795 at a local dealer.

We are Wife, me 6 year old son and a large dog.

Love the extra space ot the 795 but has anybody had problems with them in either build quality or the 7.5M length.

Any view would be much appreciated

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I can't help you with either of those choices unfortunately, all I would say is try and be sure that the layout will suit you all, that seems to be the biggest issue for all of us, also think about inside and outside storage, it's amazing how much gear you end up carrying, good luck with your search.
Dave

Upvote 0

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
We have a 155
Just 2 adults and 1 dog
We've made the front bed up once and it doesn't leave much room
If your son goes to bed early would you be OK living on the fixed bed
Not seen the layout of the Bailey
But couldn't imagine living in the 155 with 3 and a dog

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
First thing would be to read Jim's (site owner) guide on buying a MH, it's free to members (£15 a year to join) or you can just buy it without joining the forum.

http://shop.motorhomefun.co.uk/product/motorhome-buyers-guide/
I’m not sure if I’m the only one but I’m not sure I’m comfortable with paying for a forum, but of course I have , so maybe I’m not comfortable with trying to get others to part with money too, to the original poster.

There will be reviews by magazines available on line free of charge for the motorhomes you are looking at and while you will get invaluable information here, there are other sources free of charge...... if you do choose to subscribe then , welcome, it’s been a good investment of £15

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The feeling of extra space in the Bailey comes with significant extra width on the coachbuilt part. That's a big plus on site, but you should consider where you will want to go touring and how relaxed you would be driving along narrow urban roads and country lanes.

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I’m not sure if I’m the only one but I’m not sure I’m comfortable with paying for a forum, but of course I have , so maybe I’m not comfortable with trying to get others to part with money too, to the original poster.

There will be reviews by magazines available on line free of charge for the motorhomes you are looking at and while you will get invaluable information here, there are other sources free of charge...... if you do choose to subscribe then , welcome, it’s been a good investment of £15
Why would you not be comfortable with having to pay something towards having access to a facility that can save you considerably more , and also these sorts of things dont have a zero cost to provide. It seems a background attitude that appears frequently on moho and caravan forums , that by the very nature of ownership of a expensive in the vast majority of cases item, suggests a certain level of affluence of those involved to start with ? It doesn't seem limited to Scottish ancestery :)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

o_O

All I did was suggest the OP read Jim's excellent guide to save them enduring any of the pitfalls when buying a MH, they can of course get info about particular models on the web etc FOC but that's a completely different thing. I said they could buy the guide or join and get it free, but I certainly didn't tell them they had to!

Having been on the 'free' MH forums and seen how they can get 'nasty', give me this paid one any day which, although it doesn't have any rigid moderation (not needed), people respect each other much more than any other! This forum isn't just about MHs as we know, it's an 'extended family' of people with an interest in MHs but with lots of other things to, willing to not only help 'on line' but also in real life too.

If you didn't pay for the forum Alistair it wouldn't exist and that would be a terrible shame as this one is by far the best available and worth every single penny (that's why I'm a 'lifer'). I'm not a newbie having had MHs in all shapes and sizes since 1996 so I am not in need of all the invaluable help that this forum/members can give to those just starting out, but I'm still here as I still use the resources when needed, get help on stuff (not necessarily MH!), and of course get to chat to you lovely lot!

If the OP doesn't want to join the forum no-one is making him as he can still 'read' stuff once the 5 free posts are up, but he would get a lot more help and benefit by joining IMV as he'd be able to post more questions which, as a newbie, I'm sure he'll have, and which could save him a lot of heartache and money too.

@Alvon, just realised I forgot to say welcome to the fun house in my earlier posting!

:hiya:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Alvon

Alvon

Free Member
Oct 19, 2017
Funster No
Thanks all. Thanks for the welcome. Not subscribed yet but may look too.

Like the extra size of the 765 but agree with the point on parking the thing and windy roads while touring. Just think the 155 would be too small and like the whole rear lounge.

Any other suggestions that would pop up.

Upvote 0

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Thanks all. Thanks for the welcome. Not subscribed yet but may look too.

Like the extra size of the 765 but agree with the point on parking the thing and windy roads while touring. Just think the 155 would be too small and like the whole rear lounge.

Any other suggestions that would pop up.

Maybe have a look at the Majestic 195, four berth, four belted seats, huge rear lounge, half dinette, side facing front sofa, 10 year ingress warranty if purchased new & very well equipped cab & hab' areas.

Upvote 0

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Was just thinking about the 195
Also take a look at the majestic 196
Two facing sofas which convert into a bed or keep as two small singles
Front dinette with side facing sofa and an option of drop down double bed over the dinette
But would need to uprate the weight but as your looking for family friendly mhs you'll be looking at mhs over the 3500 kg anyway

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
:ello:I'm new to MHing too, and I've gained so much info and help and micky taking, and its just brilliant, there's always someone on here that can help you, once you have found your preferred make etc, you can also use the individual topics under the brand of Mh you have chosen x

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
As an alternative to your choice I would recommend you take your budget and look at German Manufactured MH’s you’ll find one would have to be older than those you’re looking at but you certainly won’t regret it.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As an alternative to your choice I would recommend you take your budget and look at German Manufactured MH’s you’ll find one would have to be older than those you’re looking at but you certainly won’t regret it.
Agree and if you buy in Belgium or Germany you could have a brand new Carado or Sunlight for less.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2017
St Albans,
Funster No
MH
Bailey
I have a 8M Bailey, done 7000 miles in three months around France, Spain and Portugal Central and SE England. No issues with the width. The length can be a problem finding some where to park in small villages.
Strangely towns haven't been a problem.
For the devotees of German precision manufacturing, they do have a AL KO chassis!

Upvote 0

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
If you didn't pay for the forum Alistair it wouldn't exist and that would be a terrible shame as this one is by far the best available and worth every single penny

I have to agree, there was once an excellent Canoe Forum, full of useful information, and friendly banter, which it's "dedicated" members refused to contribute towards, it no longer exists.

Cheers
Red, Bannnock and Chris

Upvote 0

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Welcome
We looked at the Majestic 196 then found a 2016 765.The Bailey had bigger payload.Been out twice .no problems driving or parking.Will say the finish on the bailey appealed more to us.u lounge great for relaxing and great size bed.drop down bed very comfortable even for 2 adults?????My wife and i are very happy with our choice and will not look back.
As we have been told there is no such thing as a perfect layout.always take a test drive to make sure you are comfortable driving it.we are newbies and the two occasions weve been away all tickety boo.

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
The Bailey is built on the Alu-tech body so it's basically a timber free construction so far less problem with damp. On my last hab check the guy only needed to check the floor. Width wise, yes initially it makes you a bit more careful winding your way down country lanes but you adapt to it like any new vehicle. Very roomy and the only problem I've encountered is there's no squeezing past the wife when passing through the van. :(

Edit: Note to self, check date of original post!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back