bailey 750 2014 (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 57092
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 57092

Deleted User
Hello all
I'm very new here.
Just got this motorhome and as yet have no gas bottles.
I've measured the locker for a gaslow system
but
do I need 2x6kg
or 1x6kg and 1x11kg
???
please
paul

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Depends what fits in there. Cheapest and best overall option in the long run ( cost of refilling and time between refilling them) would be 2x11kg bottles. That’s what we have

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 57092

Deleted User
well two 11's should fit according to my measurements and the ones on the gaslow site but I'm unsure about fitting all the pipes in, I wish I had a 11kg to offer up and see but I don't.
Perhaps I'll go back to the dealer and see if they have one that I can try.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2018
Didcot
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79/2f
Exp
4 years
I have 2x6kg and find them enough for what we need. It leaves plenty of room for pipe work

Whippetgood

Free Member
May 3, 2018
Funster No
2 x 10kg Flogas gaslight propane bottles from Homebase will fit - that's what we used to have. You'll need the pigtail for them and that also fits French Le Cube bottles.Jon

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 57092

Deleted User
Thanks for the good advice,after some more measuring I've ordered two x 6kg, 11's would fit but I would have to move the factory mounted regulator and pipe and I don't want to mess with that.
Paul

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 57092

Deleted User
Ok so I fitted the 2x6kg gaslow bottles with an auto changeover valve etc, have filled them twice so far and it all works perfectly.
I fitted the filler on a bracket behind the mudflap under the body.
1.To save drilling the locker door
2.So as in France it would be viewed as a built in tank so noquibbles re filling with the bottle door open and
3.So that the heavy filling hose lies on the ground when filling so that the door or whatever isn’t taking the weight of it.
4.So its unobtrusive and less likely to be targeted by thieving scum.
A question for other Bailey owners
I have added an extra leisure battery
I assume there is a battery charger from the 240v hook up ? If so where ?
How do you check what’s in the leisure batteries ? Our master panel shows their voltage and an amps figure but amps is current flow so is there a way of finding out amp hours remaining or do I need an extra monitor for that ?
Thanks in advance
Paul

Whippetgood

Free Member
May 3, 2018
Funster No
The existing leisure battery is charged from the 12v when the the vehicle is running and then from 240v when on mains hook up. You need to link the additional leisure battery in parallel to the existing one - neg to neg and pos to pos. In theory the existing charging cables that run to the first battery shoul be split between the 2 batteries so the existing earth stays on the first leisure battery and the existing pos to the new battery. Then link the negs of both batteries with a suitable heavy duty battery cable and then the pos terminals of both batteries with another cable.
However, because the 2 batteries are so close together you can probably leave the existing cables on the current battery and then link the second battery to the first with the correct spec cables - pos to pos and neg to neg making sure that any clamps that tie the batteries down are well away from the terminals.
On the control panel it will tell you what voltage remains and you can look at tables online to see how that that equates to capacity left. There is an option in the control panel user settings to switch this to a percentage figure. Just remember that you shouldn't drain your batteries below 50% or they'll be shot!
Jon

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 57092

Deleted User
Thanks Jon
Thats the way I did it , new short thick cables pos to pos and neg to neg.
I now know there’s a battery charger somewhere from observing the voltage when the hook up is connected.
On the boat we have a battery smart ammeter with a shunt in the earth side of the ‘house’ battery bank (which on that is 3x145 amp batteries) that basically counts amps in and out to work out amp hours remaining at any given time.
I guess on a motorhome its less critical so relying on voltage will do. If/when I put some solar panels on the van I’ll probably fit a smart battery monitor as well,annoyingly I had a new one that came with the boat but wasn’t up to the size of the loads so I sold it on ebay ! Duh.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 57092

Deleted User
In the med where we sail these days help could be a long way away.
Calling for help unless life is in danger is frowned upon and there is no guarantee that anyone will hear your radio message.
In extremis we can trigger a satelite distress signal but that would lead to a huge response (ships diverted, helicopters etc) and is only ever for life threatening situations.
A tow from a commercial boat can cost thousands. You have to be self sufficient and capable of dealing with problems if you choose to go off the beaten track.
Consequently we have multiple back up systems for all the important stuff and carry plenty of spares. Yachtsmen usually all help each other too.
If you get it seriously wrong then death or serious injury is a very real possibility.
For example if you let your engine battery go flat, don’t have a system for bridging it to one of the other batteries and for some reason can’t sail out of trouble you could be blown onto rocks , sink the boat and possibly drown.
But most sailors (ones that actually go anywhere that is) relish the challenge !
In the Solent there is a nautical equivalant of the AA but pretty much elsewhere you would need to pay heavily for any help or repairs.
Its fun though !
Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back