Exp
Since 2015
Just ordered the above mh
How long did it take to adjust to the width
It's the only thing playing on my mind

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Not long. Took me a couple of hours in daylight. Picked mine up at dusk, the first couple of miles on narrow roads, very scary.

OP
OP
Paul and Kate

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Not long. Took me a couple of hours in daylight. Picked mine up at dusk, the first couple of miles on narrow roads, very scary.
Is it natural now to drive

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
It's not the width that's the problem but the length and the over hang. The mirrors save you between gaps but you will clout the rear end unless you are very careful - good luck

OP
OP
Paul and Kate

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
It's not the width that's the problem but the length and the over hang. The mirrors save you between gaps but you will clout the rear end unless you are very careful - good luck
It's 180mm longer than the 155 we have and I'm always aware of the overhang it's also on the low line chassis so I'm also nervous about grounding but my line of thought is there's loads out there so it can't be much of a problem

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Never even gave it a thought when we got ours. Wasn't until I read all the warnings I realised it was wider, I was more concerned about the length but it's never been a problem if you remember you're in a motorhome and not the car. As said, if the mirrors go through so will the van.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
We used to have a 740 (predecessor model) and having now changed to a slightly narrower and taller van, I’ve noticed how much less anxious car drivers coming the other way on country lanes look than they did approaching the Bailey! I think the combination of width and low height makes it look scarily wide to approaching vehicles.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
It's 180mm longer than the 155 we have and I'm always aware of the overhang it's also on the low line chassis so I'm also nervous about grounding

The Bailey low-line chassis is so low that I just can't see how it can be a very usable bit of kit for proper touring.

We lived opposite a Bailey over Xmas on the Edinburgh C&MC site and it looked as if the body panels were just sitting on the grass.

Sorry to say this but the Elddis 155 looks like a much better looking option to me, both practically and aestetically too.

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
Paul and Kate

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
OK the owners of new autographs
Have you suffered with grounding

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Never had a problem with the low line chassis, perhaps they need to cut the grass more often!

I can only compare it with one former motorhome I've owned and the lower centre of gravity gives a much better ride, particularly on cornering, and I've noticed no problem with ferries either. Come to think of it I had air suspension installed on the old van to improve the ride and the van was only three years old when I bought it.

Jan 23, 2017
St Albans,
Funster No
MH
Bailey
As said above the width is intimidating for oncoming vehicles but tends to slow them down and give you more room! Just remember to take tight situations slowly. Re grounding, done it twice, 2nd one cut the alarm wires on the chassis under the rear of the cab. Quite annoying as I never saw it coming, it appeared as a slight camber on the main road as I was joining it. Now very careful and aware!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back