bad news from Merc. re: blown engine (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Can I ask those in the know? Is it a certain engine or age that is having problems, or all sprinters?

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Can I ask those in the know? Is it a certain engine or age that is having problems, or all sprinters?

Yes me too. I've just bought a used Hymer S630 on a Merc and I'd hate to think I might of bought trouble.

Pete:Cool:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a

Me too - Have been looking at the website and see that most Sprinters use a 4 cylinder engine (In various sizes) but they do have a V6 in 3Ltr. size and i was woondering if all these stories relate to ALL models.

BTW if you go on one of Sprinter forums it seems there's a fair number of people doing their own repairs on the engine and a lot of them don't seem to know a lot about what they are doing, could this be where all these stories are emanating from ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
We run minibuses and moved from merc to vw because of the engine used, we had one vito that was forever having problems to the extent that we were actually given the extended warrenty on it f.o,c. it also needed a replacement engine after an injecter went down, the vehicle went in for the work to be done whilst we went away, we were told 3 days so told them we would be away and would pick it up on our return fine they said. on our return rang them to arrange pickup and was told we are waiting for a new engine from germany, they could not get the faulty injecter to come out so they got a new engine and put that in the bus took about 10 days, when we were due to change vehicles the last time the reason we went vw was that the sales guy (who we got to know quite well) told us that there were still a lot of problems to be resolved and he advised we wait a while. Then again the vw engine has its own quirks and problems, like the dual mass flywheel, costs 4 figures to replace but only has an expected life of up to a 100,000 miles very poor for a commercial vehicle, good news is can now buy a kit to convert back to a traditional clutch

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back