Bad news for holidays to Spain (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
Britons hoping to escape to Spain could have their holiday plans cancelled following reports the Spanish prime minister said the country would not welcome international tourists until the "end of summer".

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
Going to be another interesting time for Brittany ferries. I personally think they’ll reconsider that, given it will decimate the tourist industry for a second year. I’m sure someone is frantically calculating the cost of doing that compared to the cost of an accelerated vaccine programme.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We had a lorry stuck in Bilboa port for 4 days ,apparently a paperwork error ,but who knows no one would say what ...however Brittany Ferries seemed to have played a part
We aren't the only ones who have had similar problems
Barge and pole are my views

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Spain was openly changing is marketing strategy before the virus become known of, moving away from late night rebels etc.
It may well be plans are afoot we know nothing of as regards there target market.
As for the vaccine who knows it's efficacy, I for one have no idea, no one seems not suggest it's a long term solution or stops any spread.
So many caveats aired by the experts that seem in many way contradictory, only time will tell.

Nov 9, 2016
France or Spain!
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo 687t
Exp
Since 2015
Apparently what the President actually said in a speech about tourism has been misrepresented in the media...though he did talk about the need for the majority of people in Spain to be vaccinated and this is taking longer than hoped due to supply problems.

Jun 29, 2012
Penrith
Funster No
MH
DIMS van conversion
Exp
since 2010
Spain was openly changing is marketing strategy before the virus become known of, moving away from late night rebels etc.
It may well be plans are afoot we know nothing of as regards there target market.
Who knows indeed? 50 years ago - when I used to travel to Spain to see my (Spanish) girlfriend - we knew a senior official in the Tourism Ministry. "Their" strategy at that time was to sacrifice the Costas and keep areas like the Picos de Europas to themselves. For example, the Spanish Royal Family (and later Franco) used to holiday in San Sebastian - and the hoi poloi were kept well away.

I used to book a Court Line flight with Clarksons (£17 from Friday to Sunday - £19 for an extra day!) - we'd leave the hotel on the Saturday morning in her car and would drive, inland, to places that weren't publicised. Back in the mists of time Benidorm was a favourite holiday destination of the Madrileños and many of them had holiday apartments there. One wonders if "they" will be re-thinking their whole economy and the balance between Tourism and other sectors? "They" got stung, big-time, when the Costas building programme was hit by the 2008 crash.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Apparently what the President actually said in a speech about tourism has been misrepresented in the media...though he did talk about the need for the majority of people in Spain to be vaccinated and this is taking longer than hoped due to supply problems.

Thank you for the reality brought to the reports

Aug 26, 2020
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mark pickett
Exp
Fiat

Can anyone let me know if they are in Spain at the moment in the motorhome

Aug 26, 2020
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mark pickett
Exp
Fiat
Britons hoping to escape to Spain could have their holiday plans cancelled following reports the Spanish prime minister said the country would not welcome international tourists until the "end of summer".
Is the any one in Spine at the moment in there motorhomes

JoseJu

Free Member
Sep 9, 2020
Cambridgeshire/Malaga
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Nowadays, the best option is stay at home. Do not think you are brave and you are part of the lucky people who do not catch the virus... Everybody is in risk. Use the common sense. Be safe.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
We had a lorry stuck in Bilboa port for 4 days ,apparently a paperwork error ,but who knows no one would say what ...however Brittany Ferries seemed to have played a part
We aren't the only ones who have had similar problems
Barge and pole are my views
So sorry to hear that, it's bad enough trying to run a business and employ people, but we always new they would bugger us about, we should do Tit for Tat sounds childish I know but, if you are dealing with people who are determined to stop their rot then we have to adopt their attitude , in saying that Spanish/ Dutch Fruit / vegetables/flower exporters who don't make stupid rules would be affected .

DIY campervan

Free Member
Apr 23, 2020
Hull
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
2020 newbie

Perhaps proof of being vaccinated could give tourist better access during the vaccination programme. I think spains decision is understandable but brits without a spanish holiday is like a spanish dancer without her maracas lol.

Mar 6, 2008
Spixworth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Moto-
Exp
Since 2006
My wife and I will be having the jab to-day at 1220. With any luck we will be able to have the 2nd.jab before the holidays start in May.Hurrah!!

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
In order to have something to look foreard to, have booked a ferry to santander at the very end of August. Fully flexible, as long as the ferry company stays solvent! Perhaps I ought to open a book as to whether we'll be going or not... I'd say its even odds at present 🙄

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
Got the ferry booked to Spain at end of July. If have to cancel because of the bigger picture then so be it. I enjoy my life too much to potentially sacrifice it for a holiday. I was off to the Far East when the Icelandic volcano blew up and they cancelled the flights, literally stood in the queue at Heathrow. People around me were crying, I was just grateful they’d removed the risk of ash in the jet engines! Always a positive somewhere if you look hard enough :giggle:

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I was planning on Spain this year which were plans carried over from our 2020 postponed plans. The site and tunnel were willing to transfer costs paid to summer 2021.
However, with this in mind, regardless of whether it’s been twisted or not by the media, I’m having second thoughts.
The cynic in me thinks is it owt to do with Gibraltar, similar to the French closing Calais prior to a deal being struck on trade? But the other part of me thinks their PM is talking sense. Why not get 70% of population immunised before allowing loads of visitors from a country with a new variant where they’ve not even got round to vaccinating the front line staff dealing with the virus?
Either way, alternatives will get booked up, especially if like me, leave has to be taken around school holidays.
I’m now back to the drawing board I think.

Citygirl

Free Member
Aug 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
2 years
Lots of Brits in Spain in their motorhomes at the moment on the motorhome groups on Facebook. Down to about 10% of normal though. French, Belgians, Germans too.

May 25, 2016
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
2015 PVC, now from 2020 Coachbuilt
Can anybody translate what Sanchez actually said? The actual speech was on Tuesday at the UN World Tourism Organisation conference in Madrid on Tuesday 19 Jan. The video has been pulled from the government website but I found it on You Tube: . Too fast for me.

He was clearly saying that "The recovery of tourism begins with vaccination. And the complete recovery with complete vaccination". But did he actually say (A) that at least 70% of the population would need to be vaccinated before they opened up and (B) that that would be at the end of the summer season??

I suspect that these media reports are feeding off each other without checking facts.

Also, they may be backing off after protests from the tourist areas because the Tourism Minister was saying only yesterday ".....we hope that at the end of spring and especially in summer international travel will resume and choose Spain." https://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/servic.../industria/Paginas/2021/220121-movilidad.aspx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back