Bad engine knock (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
think I have had a injector pack in got a verry bad knock on the way back to my sons
It started getting a bit of a diesal knock then it becam a serous diesel banging
As one of the cylinders was starved of fuiel.
I do hope it is a injector and not the pump.
Don't fancy doing a strip down and rebuild.
I do have a spare at my unit but I have the key with me
Might have to jump on a trane south and get it fixed before the wee man brakes off for Easter got some help planed
Bill

Reactions: DBK

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Sounds more like an injector fault to me Bill. A dribbling faulty injector tends to set off an early ignition which the other three cylinders force to go the opposite direction to the dribbling one resulting in a hell of a heavy knock. A cylinder which is getting no fuel tends to produce a distinct soft knock which sounds very odd indeed. Have you tried popping a couple of bottles of injection cleaner through it?
Do hope you get it sorted soon mate, you don't need any more bad luck.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Sounds more like an injector fault to me Bill. A dribbling faulty injector tends to set off an early ignition which the other three cylinders force to go the opposite direction to the dribbling one resulting in a hell of a heavy knock. A cylinder which is getting no fuel tends to produce a distinct soft knock which sounds very odd indeed. Have you tried popping a couple of bottles of injection cleaner through it?
Do hope you get it sorted soon mate, you don't need any more bad luck.
Will strip it down in the morning and do a leek off test on it
I do have a spare injector with me by chance
No worries I am in a good parking spot over looking a park and 100m frome a pub
Bit of a strip down in the morning should diegnose the problem
Bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Where are you Bill , if people know they might be able to help.
IMG_0226.JPG

if I can't fix it young billy will

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Great pic Bill , as long as you are ok everyone's happy mate (y)
My boy will se me ok he's just come out the froces
Haven't seen him in six years we fell out
Happy days
Bill
Edit his mother fell out with him and I just went along with it

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Says it all Bill now you on your own , go the way your sent , its a mining village saying . Now you've met your son again and its all good you have something that you didnt have before . Sometimes its good to cut loose there are no rules as long as you dont harm anyone . Its so easy folks think its hard . Keep safe mate (y)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
My boy will se me ok he's just come out the froces
Haven't seen him in six years we fell out
Happy days
Bill
Edit his mother fell out with him and I just went along with it

Anyone can fall out with close family members, but it takes a big man to put things right even if very little caused the fall out. I'm really pleased that you & your son are speaking again. Lifes just too short.
Hope you get your vehicle sorted soon mate.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Well it wasn't a injector it neads a hart transplant.
Or pump recondition she had major surgery to day we removed the pump a tame it to be tested down pressure wise big time on one of the fore is only producing 150 bar should be a lot more than that more like 300bar so that's not gong to help
The others are low to but enough to make the injectors work not even one of them reds the same.
Doner pump on the way bycurier in the morning
But look who turned up today to help me
IMG_0174.JPG

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
any one know any thing abut injector pumps banging my head agenised a wall cant get it to prime
bill

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Bill
You need to vacuum the fuel right up to the pump as the pump internals won't draw the air.
Without the proper kit try getting the feed line sealed into the side of an empty plastic milk bottle and put the vacuum cleaner over the top where the cap fits so you don't get diesel in the hoover.
Once through, clamp the pipe to stop it draining back to tank then refit pipe to injection pump and retry starting.
Also ensure all injector pipes are undone till they spit diesel then tighten and it should start.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Does it have a hand operated lift pump on the side, unscrew and pump until you hear it blow off then crank it through to the injectors.

Sorry if yours is different but whatever I guess you have to lift fuel to the pump first.

Martin

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Bill
You need to vacuum the fuel right up to the pump as the pump internals won't draw the air.
Without the proper kit try getting the feed line sealed into the side of an empty plastic milk bottle and put the vacuum cleaner over the top where the cap fits so you don't get diesel in the hoover.
Once through, clamp the pipe to stop it draining back to tank then refit pipe to injection pump and retry starting.
Also ensure all injector pipes are undone till they spit diesel then tighten and it should start.
image.jpg

image.jpg

It being a bit of a birch I have a ball hand primer I have Fuel right through the pump up to the solinoid I even changed that just in case it was faltay but still no joy think the actuator in the pump is stiking will give it a thwack with a hamer tomorrow and a bit of a prod with a stew driver
Bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Does it have a hand operated lift pump on the side, unscrew and pump until you hear it blow off then crank it through to the injectors.

Sorry if yours is different but whatever I guess you have to lift fuel to the pump first.

Martin
Yes Martin think it's the actuator in the fuel solinoid sticking
Bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Look like the valve is stuck in the fuel cut of solinoid
Salution remove offending object and put temporary manual fuel cut off till back home
Bill

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
View attachment 155408
View attachment 155409
It being a bit of a birch I have a ball hand primer I have Fuel right through the pump up to the solinoid I even changed that just in case it was faltay but still no joy think the actuator in the pump is stiking will give it a thwack with a hamer tomorrow and a bit of a prod with a stew driver
Bill
Bill
Did you crack off all of the injector pipes while cranking?
The pump won't usually prime due to air bounce in the pipes.
If you have done this then as you say it looks like the solenoid is stuck shut.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Bill
Yes all broken off the pump has sat for two years so good chance it's the solinoid
Would not be motorhoming if I dident spend sume time with the spaners in my hand
Young billy dident have a clue if it haven't got a computer it can't be fixed
His first words was whare is the diagnostics plug
:rofl: I almost gave him a slap

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Bill
The lift pump is not working properly I it pumps fine manulay but not with the engine kiking my shelf it's not producing enough pressure to lift the solinoid valve and air bubbils one the disel line I put clear braded pipe throughout the system and bubbils in the lines new lift pump on the way proses of ilimanation just whis I had my test kit with me I would have piked up the problem earlier
But it is giving me a chance to chachup with my boys
Tenents lager siting in the evening sun
With my boys what could be better
And jay having sum time with his dad
Bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Almost coming to blows her now getting confused what is the firing order for the fiat 2.5 to engine

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
The lift pump is not working properly I it pumps fine manulay but not with the engine kiking my shelf it's not producing enough pressure to lift the solinoid valve and air bubbils one the disel line I put clear braded pipe throughout the system and bubbils in the lines new lift pump on the way proses of ilimanation just whis I had my test kit with me I would have piked up the problem earlier
But it is giving me a chance to chachup with my boys
Tenents lager siting in the evening sun
With my boys what could be better
And jay having sum time with his dad
Bill
If there are air bubbles there is a leak.
It is worth trying a short pipe from the pump from a bottle of diesel to prove the engine runs ok on the replacement injection pump using the bottled fuel.
If it runs ok then the supply pipe has an air leak but if all new clear pipe the likely culprit will be a fractured lift pipe in the diesel tank.
Good luck

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
If there are air bubbles there is a leak.
It is worth trying a short pipe from the pump from a bottle of diesel to prove the engine runs ok on the replacement injection pump using the bottled fuel.
If it runs ok then the supply pipe has an air leak but if all new clear pipe the likely culprit will be a fractured lift pipe in the diesel tank.
Good luck
All of what you said,with two bottles of injector cleaner instead of diesel.
That diesel knock if it came on suddenly, would just maybe point to a failed solenoid on the injection pump.
Just a thought!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back