Bad egg smell (1 Viewer)

Jul 30, 2019
Wirral Peninsula, Wirral, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 2018
Hi everyone, help needed. We are parked up and hoolked on ehu got up yesterday bad egg smell. Thought about gas leak so put it off and opened windows. I decided to clean out drains just to make sure, left the van for about 10 min and when entering the van the smell was unbearable. I new this wasn't right so checked on here, a number of threads relating to battery. I unplugged ehu and left door abd every window open everything off and spent the night at daughters. Took battery to Halfords who said ok. Any help very much appreciated in layman's terms as not very technical. Thanks in advance

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Have you got some bad eggs in the van? Seriously, can you not locate the smell to a particular area.?
If you suspect the battery why not take it out and lock up for a while just to eliminate that cause.?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 2

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Yep . battery goosed . Remove battery or turn off charger and the smell will stop .
The battery is probably in a compartment under the floor and will be warm to the touch if thatā€™s the cause .

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I have convinced hubby to take battery back out, which is a nightmare and take to a garage that deals with motorhomes. Hope it is the battery because if not I am in trouble šŸ¤­ but then what could of caused it šŸ¤” Will let you know the outcome, thanks for the support šŸ‘
You don't have to take it out, just disconnect it šŸ‘

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I have convinced hubby to take battery back out, which is a nightmare and take to a garage that deals with motorhomes. Hope it is the battery because if not I am in trouble šŸ¤­ but then what could of caused it šŸ¤” Will let you know the outcome, thanks for the support šŸ‘
Batteries simply age and canā€™t take or hold a charge. Sounds like your charger is gassing the battery. A decent battery shop will test it with a load tester and give you a readout of the results. Need not be a Moho place unless the charger is duff too.

Upvote 0

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Batteries simply age and canā€™t take or hold a charge. Sounds like your charger is gassing the battery. A decent battery shop will test it with a load tester and give you a readout of the results. Need not be a Moho place unless the charger is duff too.
Agreed . For the price itā€™s probably worth just getting a new battery .

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No point there isn't a proper test for a leisure battery the only way to test it properly is by a slow discharge test but I won't go into that now as you need to sort out what's going on first.

The problem is going to be either the battery and if not the battery the charger is over charging the battery. With the charger connected the battery should go above 14.4v for a standard type battery (14.7 for AGM). if it is going above this the charger is the problem.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Y
Jul 30, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 2018
We are hooked up but also have solar with mppt controller, when we come to take the battery off again we noticed a black wire from the controler to battery was loose, could this if caused the problem but the battery checked out ok,

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
we noticed a black wire from the controler to battery was loose, could this if caused the problem but the battery checked out ok,
It doesn't seem likely to me that this fault caused the bad egg smell. But it's just possible - if the battery disconnects intermittently, the controller is being constantly reconnected in the wrong sequence, so it might have gone into 24V battery charge mode, which would definitely overcharge the 12V battery, and maybe cause the smell.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Your solar controller could be overcharging due to the loose connection,, you need to reset it which means disconnecting the solar panel at the controller then reconnecting the loose battery to controller wires before finally reconnecting the solar panel.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
have we definitely ruled out grey waste ?
If it was the first use for a while and the plug was in, so to speak, you could have swilled the contents about from last year.

If you have definitely ruled out, apologies

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Y
Jul 30, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 2018
Oh dear, great support just hope hubby feels the same when he gets back with the battery. It really is a nightmare, the garage would only see him if it was off šŸ˜• so when he has refitted it he then needs to sort the controller. Not that he doesn't want the best for the van he's just in the middle of building an extension to pay for another road trip and has been digging out drains all week, just the last thing he needs right now, so you peeps helping me with advise really is a godsend.

Upvote 1
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If you are reconnecting the battery to the solar controller, most controllers require the right sequence: battery first, then solar panels. If you've disconnected the battery, you'll have to disconnect the solar panels before you reconnect, to get the right connection sequence.

You don't have to disconnect both panel wires, just one is enough. Sometimes there is a convenient fuse that can be removed to disconnect them.

14.2V sounds OK. Keep an eye on it. If you get the bad egg smell again, read the voltage, and feel the battery to see if it's warm/hot. Anything over 14.8V is a problem.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Plugged back in for 10 mins and showing 13.6 šŸ¤”
That's 13.6v charger voltage, not true battery voltage.
In extreme situations batteries can explode.
I wouldn't trust Halfords to put batteries in a torch.
Sulpher smell is hydrogen sulfide gas... A sure indicator a battery is either getting overcharge or is faulty internally.
At 13.6v it's not being overcharged.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Y
Jul 30, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 2018
All up and running staying in daughters tonight though to test. Leaving gas of until tomorrow wish us luck šŸ¤ž
Sorry by the way, love this site just get confused how to relpy to each message when there is more than one, but always look for help, thanks for being therešŸ‘Š

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back