LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
As I don't know you guys or your situation, this suggestion might be inappropriate.

If the only reason you're considering a caravan is your good lady's lack of balance on two wheels, what about three ?

A very quick google shows that adult folding tricycles are available - even electric ones... eg;
http://www.pashley.co.uk/bikes/tricycles/tri-1-7-speed.php
&
http://www.bicycle-riding-for-boomers.com/folding-electric-tricycle.html

Surely something like this, perhaps combined with aforementioned carhire, would give you the best of all options & flexibility?
  • Cost of changing to being a tugger vs cost of trike & occasional carhire
  • Sheer hassle of setting up a caravan, as one gets older - isn't an awning obligatory ;)?
  • Is towing as comfortable a drive as a MH?
  • Does a caravan actually restrict your options ie ready to go, aires, wild camping, spur of the moment 'one night away' etc etc
Good luck (y)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Thanks Lin, have passed that on and trust you and Nigel are both well and good.

Ginny is not struggling as such, latest meds are helping very well indeed. The bike issue is mostly down to her balance is not so good and a bit wobbly and I don't want her falling off!
What about a 3 wheeler for Ginny? I've seen quite a few people using electric 3 wheel bikes in France, they look pretty smart and you could keep the MH.
Just a thought.....

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We had issues with bikes etc and decided to downsize car and get a trailer did it for first time last winter and found it worked really well for us as we have two dogs and not all hire cars would allow you to carry them we didn't find any issues with space for trailer and car.
I fitted a winch to the trailer so that I can move it around with without to much trouble and the bonus is we can use the car all year round and just use the Hymer when we don't need the car.
But it is a personal choice and would not suit everyone.
Good luck with whatever you decide

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
As I don't know you guys or your situation, this suggestion might be inappropriate.

If the only reason you're considering a caravan is your good lady's lack of balance on two wheels, what about three ?

A very quick google shows that adult folding tricycles are available - even electric ones... eg;
http://www.pashley.co.uk/bikes/tricycles/tri-1-7-speed.php
&
http://www.bicycle-riding-for-boomers.com/folding-electric-tricycle.html

Surely something like this, perhaps combined with aforementioned carhire, would give you the best of all options & flexibility?
  • Cost of changing to being a tugger vs cost of trike & occasional carhire
  • Sheer hassle of setting up a caravan, as one gets older - isn't an awning obligatory ;)?
  • Is towing as comfortable a drive as a MH?
  • Does a caravan actually restrict your options ie ready to go, aires, wild camping, spur of the moment 'one night away' etc etc
Good luck (y)

Thanks for the links! I can't believe that second one is just a few miles down the road from us! A tricycle is something I had indeed considered but Ginny would also need some electrical assistance. In Benidorm earlier this year when I had nipped to Masymas, someone had one parked up outside that looked as though it had been converted to electric. £750 for the Pashley Tricycle would be a good starting price to maybe get it converted, maybe something I could do myself. Our Hymer has a motorcycle bracket for the towbar so I had already considered how I could modify it to take a trike.

Thanks for this and the links (y) another possibility...I shall pop out to Long Eaton Cycles tomorrow!

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If you decide on a caravan of what ever make give a motor mover some thought. Makes life a lot easier and when lining up the alko wheel lock it's a god send.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
We had issues with bikes etc and decided to downsize car and get a trailer did it for first time last winter and found it worked really well for us as we have two dogs and not all hire cars would allow you to carry them we didn't find any issues with space for trailer and car.
I fitted a winch to the trailer so that I can move it around with without to much trouble and the bonus is we can use the car all year round and just use the Hymer when we don't need the car.
But it is a personal choice and would not suit everyone.
Good luck with whatever you decide

It could still work for us...it was our initial idea whilst still in Spain last year. Then we moved staying on a couple of aires and ACSI sites before heading home. Whilst travelling I talked myself out of the trailer idea as I couldn't be doing with what I perceived to be the hassle of it! I know I would have same scenario with a car and tourer though! :cautious:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I've had a couple of tourers in the past, a Compass and a Swift and I was never unhappy towing or reversing. Might be a bit different now I'm getting older but the motor mover seems to have made pitching up a bit easier these days.

Yes, the faffing about putting corner steadies down, aqua roles etc do put me off I must admit. More so the loading issues with all the stuff that needs to go into the towing vehicle. The load limits are quite off-putting as well and on the vans we looked at averaged around 200kg :eek:.

On the plus side there seemed to be lots of internal space on vans of only about 7m length and the layouts were very welcoming. There seemed less variation with internal layouts than for a motorhome...so choosing would seem to be a bit easier.

Need to look into the construction side of things...some (we were told by a salesman) now apparently use a wood free construction method.

Lots to think about. Thanks for the feedback...more positive comments than I was expecting!
I am looking for a tugger friend to take me shopping whilst away..You go for it Dave,,,Seriously give it some thought before you decide. We used to tour with car and caravan and it worked ok..Down side is when touring you have to plan your nights stay into the journey. Its still better than apartments or stopping at home though. We prefer motorhome at the moment but we are still very mobile,,,,Hope your both well,,,BUSBY,,,

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Thanks Lin, have passed that on and trust you and Nigel are both well and good.

Ginny is not struggling as such, latest meds are helping very well indeed. The bike issue is mostly down to her balance is not so good and a bit wobbly and I don't want her falling off!
Stabilisers or a three wheeler or less alcohol may be the answer:):)BUSBY

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We used Aires on our way down to Spain and on the way home you just need to research a little to make sure you can get your rig in and out without to much trouble there are plenty of them out there.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Of course, you can't use Aires with a caravan and stopping en route to Spain will mean comfort breaks in motorway Aires and overnighting on a campsite.
We have had a couple of caravans and stopping at a motorway aire while it is peeing down to take a break and brew a cuppa wasn't my idea of a good time.
Of course, people do it all the time and I am not knocking caravanners..

We stopped at an aire in France a few weeks ago. It was relatively small, but there was a 7 metre Burstner next to us with a Smart car on a trailer. The driver wasn't young by any means.
He managed to unhook the trailer and get the Smart car off in a couple of minutes, 5 minutes later, they were driving down the road. It can be done and easier / quicker than uncoupling a caravan

Electric tricycle link below. Looks pretty cool...

http://www.batribike.com/electric-trikes/trikes/trike-20-v

Last edited:

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I've had a couple of tourers in the past, a Compass and a Swift and I was never unhappy towing or reversing. Might be a bit different now I'm getting older but the motor mover seems to have made pitching up a bit easier these days.

Yes, the faffing about putting corner steadies down, aqua roles etc do put me off I must admit. More so the loading issues with all the stuff that needs to go into the towing vehicle. The load limits are quite off-putting as well and on the vans we looked at averaged around 200kg :eek:.

On the plus side there seemed to be lots of internal space on vans of only about 7m length and the layouts were very welcoming. There seemed less variation with internal layouts than for a motorhome...so choosing would seem to be a bit easier.

Need to look into the construction side of things...some (we were told by a salesman) now apparently use a wood free construction method.

Lots to think about. Thanks for the feedback...more positive comments than I was expecting!

We had a few caravans before changing for MH, because we are both still working we find the MH a lot easier for our needs but caravanning has its benefits. The CC do towing courses just to gain confidence with reversing etc if you felt a bit unsure. Swift group and Bailey both use a construction which doesn't include timber, good luck with whatever you choose to do

travelling wilbury

Free Member
Mar 27, 2016
somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline i138
Exp
since 2009
Not mad at all.. whatever suits.. there are a few who also tug with a PVC .. best of both
this was going to be my suggestion too...
the PVC would also serve as an easy mode of touring transport when back in the uk for the odd weekend away.....or perhaps a tour to tighter places like cornwall or scotland.
we are currently fit enough to use bikes (albeit electric ones...) and are happy to be outside when flitting about, however, i have given some thought to what might happen in years to come and a pvc and caravan seemed to tick most boxes...

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It could still work for us...it was our initial idea whilst still in Spain last year. Then we moved staying on a couple of aires and ACSI sites before heading home. Whilst travelling I talked myself out of the trailer idea as I couldn't be doing with what I perceived to be the hassle of it! I know I would have same scenario with a car and tourer though! :cautious:
Takes me around 10 minutes to remove straps & car & about the same to put car back on & strap down. If I'm not going to use it I don't take it off. If space around the van is tight I park the car on the trailer. A 6 or 7M MH + trailer is no longer than a car & caravan so no issue at any site I've used since I acquired the trailer. We had the car (Smart) anyway so a trailer was an easy decision. Motor movers fit trailers too. I've bought one to fit to mine.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I miss the bodging about we used to do when tent camping in either the car or on a motorbike - we just don't get to go down that interesting looking lane or investigate that little village we've just whizzed past on the bypass, that looked as if it had medieval buildings and a spire/tower etc since it's doubtful f we could find anywhere near enough to park the beastie. But since I can't walk 'purposefully' very far at all, what used to be OK a 'brisk' 15 minute walk to the pub or whatever - would now take me an hour and three parts of that I'd be in agony. Which ain't going to improve .... but - I can bodge about with plenty of pauses, almost as well as I always have. Fine for looking round anywhere ...... if nowt else available - always a Café du Sport or the equivalent for a sit down and some refreshment!

Sooooo - I'm beginning to wonder whether a suitable car and caravan would be a better bet, but it does mean more advance planning than finding aires - and dunno whether we really want to do that yet.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
no more aires,overnite stops will be a pain,when you are in spain just hire a car you know they are extremly cheap for the time you will both be there,just my opinion of course,but on the other hand why not buy a boat lol

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Thanks to everyone for some really interesting replies and suggestions.

There clearly are some distinct advantages if we were to return to a car and tourer, especially if we continue to spend 4 to 5 months static on a Spanish campsite. Tourers have certainly come on since my last old Compass and Swift; vans from the last few years certainly do seem to have a nice light and airy feel about them and we liked the layouts of with end bathrooms, bed, kitchen onto the familiar lounge with opposing couches. It would certainly tick many of the boxes. Not so much Ginny...but I did feel a bit as though I was in something that had been built at B&Q out of the kitchen section!

The list of 'for' and 'against' is now quite long! I'm in danger of being swayed by the wrong reason...like when I looked up 'tow cars of the year' and found the Jaguar XF pretty highly rated!

Back in reality land again; thanks to the suggestions here our immediate plan is to try out an electric tricyle for Ginny and consider renting a run-a-bout in Spain when were there. We can't do anything for the time being anyway as we're off wild camping in Scotland and the Isles in July...and we can't do that in a tourer! It's the absolutely ideal use of the MH when you don't need to be worrying about additional transport as you just haul up where you want to stop and spend time anyway! (Top of the 'against' list).

Thanks for all the thought provoking (y).

Dave and Ginny :).

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
no more aires,overnite stops will be a pain,when you are in spain just hire a car you know they are extremly cheap for the time you will both be there,just my opinion of course,but on the other hand why not buy a boat lol

Looks like you were reading my mind Bill :LOL:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Personally I think it's the type of holiday you want. When the kids were young we tugged down to Spain, three weeks on the beach, never moved, the kids had a brilliant time. Now we're on our own we don't want to sit around in the same place for so long so a Moho is the order of the day. If it ever changes then perhaps a camper and caravan would work, use the camper as Our daily driver then as a day van when away, cooker, loo, lounge while out for the day and more room in the caravan at night?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
One thing not mentioned is the drive to the destination. Although I didn't notice it as a tugger I can now compare the experience with driving a motorhome. And I know which is more pleasurable. The MH is an A class with a superb view from the cab and mirrors & camera that offer complete side & rear views. It's higher than anything normally used as a tow-car and has all facilities a few feet from the cab and therefore accessible at the briefest of stops. For us it is perfect and towing a small trailer with a car on it does not detract at all from the experience.

Deleted User
I have not read all this thread so apologies if someone else has posted this, if stopping on the same site for extended periods (or even limited touring) store a caravan in Spain, get a small(ish) PVC or m'home with a towbar for use as primary vehicle and travelling to and from and other touring the rest of the year.

Our situation is slightly different in that we don't have property in the UK but have left our 5'er on a site in Portugal, storage was not an option because we no longer have the pickup to move it, bought a PVC for moving around between the UK, our static van in France and Portugal, seems to be working well at the moment.

Lots of people store caravans in Spain and Portugal, many storage sites will move the van on and off site if required.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
I bet he gets a boat lol

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
One thing not mentioned is the drive to the destination. Although I didn't notice it as a tugger I can now compare the experience with driving a motorhome. And I know which is more pleasurable. The MH is an A class with a superb view from the cab and mirrors & camera that offer complete side & rear views. It's higher than anything normally used as a tow-car and has all facilities a few feet from the cab and therefore accessible at the briefest of stops. For us it is perfect and towing a small trailer with a car on it does not detract at all from the experience.

That's such a good point Tony; you have just reminded us of our drive up through the Auvergne last year...yes I'd forgot how lucky we are with the views from an A class. :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
That's such a good point Tony; you have just reminded us of our drive up through the Auvergne last year...yes I'd forgot how lucky we are with the views from an A class. :)
Agree,,the journey is as good as the destination,,,BUSBY

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
If you decide on a caravan of what ever make give a motor mover some thought. Makes life a lot easier and when lining up the alko wheel lock it's a god send.

We suspect a hernia I had some years ago pre motorhome was caused by manhandling our caravan. I have to say moving it after having one fitted was so simple I wondered why I had been so resistant to it. Makes life so much easier.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back