Back it up and back it up again (1 Viewer)

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
I'm an ex-IT professional and I still cocked it up!
A warning for all you users of computers...
I know what I'm doing but still I failed to back up the local folders of my email software. I found this out today when I had to reset my PC (system restore didn't resolve my major problem) and I lost 6 months of emails that I had saved in local folders.

Back it up, back it up and then make sure you have backed it up!

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry to hear about your problem. A virus attacked my pc many years ago which caused a huge loss of data. Now I take as much care as possible with my data. I do not have any 'local folders' on my main hard drive (now a SSD). I use a separate SSD for all my data and an external RAID drive to back it all up. I also do not trust Cloud storage.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
What e-mail client do you use? Google and Yahoo back up my e-mails for me. ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
The use of 'Clouds' is another form of untouchable data.
When I once taught basic IT I insisted on the 'Father',"Son" and "Grandson" concept. However over the more recent years I too have been caught out in the same way as yourself.
What I did find interesting was the volume of lost data that I never really missed subsequently.

OP
OP
Bill_OR
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
I was using Thunderbird and taking emails that I wanted to keep off the server into local folders. There is a Thunderbird backup utility but it only backs up when you actually run the utility i.e. no automatic backup is taken. Everything else on my PC has multiple backups!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back