Back From The Peak District.... (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
It gets very mixed reviews on Tripadvisor. Maybe 'one man's meat' etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi just newly joined and a bit surprised by this interesting thread, so just want to say something;

One Funster posts his opinion on a campsite, fair enough.... useful for all of us.
But it seems he is then subjected to the Spanish Inquisition..

In an apparently impartial response, "Moandick" says...

"When somebody complains about a site that is mentioned in the Big Pitch Guide, I make it my duty to investigate whether the complaint is justified - because if it is, I take the site out of the Guide without any question whatsoever."

Now, if just calling the campsite and asking their opinion to the words of complaint of our reviewer is a proper investigation, then subsequently taking their corner, and publicly interrogating a funster is the way forward... I don't think so1 Sounds a tad defensive... :Doh:

We all have different views, we all seek different things. I frequently look at campsite reviews for a site I have never visited, before i go there. Most sites have good and bad reviews, we can make our own mind up. Some of us want quiet, some have kids...... We choose accordingly. But I welcome all the reviews.

So let's all freely post our opinions, views and share the info, If posting your opinion gets the Spanish Inquistion, then that's not Motorhome Fun!!!

Love the site....

Callum :Smile::Smile:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
This is the problem with the interweb. Anyone can post comments be they true or false, without any corroboration or fact-checking. Then it only takes a few people to agree with them , and hey presto, it becomes the "truth".
Witness the amount of people who immediately said they would not visit this particular site, based purely on the unchecked "facts" posited in the original post. This obviously leads to loss of income for the site in question, and surely in these difficult economic times, that cannot be a good thing.
It is a pre-requisite for journalists to CHECK THEIR FACTS before publishing a story to prevent bias, or untruths.
I know some of you may find that hard to believe.........................

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
This is the problem with the interweb. Anyone can post comments be they true or false, without any corroboration or fact-checking. Then it only takes a few people to agree with them , and hey presto, it becomes the "truth".
Witness the amount of people who immediately said they would not visit this particular site, based purely on the unchecked "facts" posited in the original post. This obviously leads to loss of income for the site in question, and surely in these difficult economic times, that cannot be a good thing.
It is a pre-requisite for journalists to CHECK THEIR FACTS before publishing a story to prevent bias, or untruths.
I know some of you may find that hard to believe.........................

Is this the problem with the "interweb".......!!!
Let's look at some of the stories that "journalists" who's "pre-requisite" is to CHECK THE FACTS, have published over the years.....

We are all "thinking people", that's the joy. If the web gives us access to more info, all the better. We can read 10 or 20 reviews about a site. If 17 are good and 3 are bad, we get the picture. If there is only one, we can take it with a pinch of salt, unless we personally know the person who wrote the report. Otherwise we wait for more reviews. Check UK Campsites reviews on this site mentioned in the thread, mixed reviews, but there seems to be some common comments......

We have the right (most of the time) to freedom of information. If the whistle blowers who use the web to expose shocking treatment of old folks in a home, or some politicians abuses of power, have to be scrutinised like journalists before going to print, then we would never hear those stories. Serious allegations will be dealt with by serious investigations..

A funster's review of a campsite is just that, a funster's review of a campsite, let's thank them for it, and if we chose to believe it, that's up to the individual. Some of use like A Class, some like Bongo's, we are all different, but other peoples viewpoints are interesting and informative.... Otherwise what's the point.....:cry:

:Smile:::bigsmile::Smile:::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
'Opinions' are just that & if honestly held are valid for the time they were formed.

To suggest that sites like this 'investigate' each adverse comment it a non-starter Also I doubt anyone, but a competitor, would publish false information to damage anothers business

I have been touring since 2002 & have on the whole found others opinions to be valuable when choosing a site. I like many I know will forgive a site a lot for not having facilities as long as the site wardens or owners are welcoming & helpful & don't try to rip me off

I also think that internet opinions do help to keep site owners & operators at the top of their game

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back