Back Box warning Sign (2 Viewers)

Do you have a warning sign on your backbox (if you have one!)?

• Yes

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I am getting conflicting information regarding fixing a warning sign on the back box on the Motorhome. It sticks out 40cm past the rear lights and we are off to France/Belgium/Luxembourg/Germany next week.

Looking at a couple of sites eg Caravan Club and Gem - it looks as if I dont need one, but other forums say I do.

I am struggling to to get one which I can fix without drilling the box which I am loathe to do so would rather not put one on if I dont need it.

I expect I will get conflicting replies but hey ho!

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
In the UK it comes under "Overhanging loads". So long as the load, in this case your back box, doesn't extend the rear of the vehcile by more than 1 meter - then there's no legal requirement. Anything more than a meter, then there are requirements.
http://assets.highways.gov.uk/speci...elines/A_brief_guide_to_overhanging_loads.pdf

Other EU countries have differing requirements. In Italy, the sign has to be of metal construction (not the plastic Fiamma sign). Spain was thinking of bringing in similar requirements - although not sure if anything has happened yet.

For the sake of quiet life, and a sign costing less than a tenner, I'd fix one - using Velcro (y)

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
Good advice for peace of mind Gizmouk, but what about all those cars and 'vans that carry all those bicycles on the back? They all hang off the back for more than a metre and you can't even see the number plates or the rear lights on some.

By the way, anyone want a Fiamma Ultra box?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Don't pretend to know the answer but surely there is some adhesive available that will bond a lightweight sign to a flat surface?

JonMac46

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
Limerick, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2013
My backbox is fitted to the bike rack as we never use that. I then used cable ties to attach the metal sign to the
bike rack above the backbox, inserting a plastic grommet so the metal doesn't cut the cable tie. Done 7,000 km so far... .

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
My backbox is fitted to the bike rack as we never use that. I then used cable ties to attach the metal sign to the
bike rack above the backbox, inserting a plastic grommet so the metal doesn't cut the cable tie. Done 7,000 km so far... .
the sign must be situated on the point furthermost from the van i.e. on the Box itself or you are defeating the object. Spain in particular requires such a sign on any projection, bike rack, motorcycle or whatever.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
the sign must be situated on the point furthermost from the van i.e. on the Box itself or you are defeating the object. Spain in particular requires such a sign on any projection, bike rack, motorcycle or whatever.

Would that include rear mounted spare wheel (original Equipment) ?

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
We just came back from France and Spain and i was told it was a requirement in Spain to have some sort of warning triangle on anything that overhangs the existing body of the van - i purchased a roll of red/white sticky backed hazard tape from Screwfix and did a big triangle (about 15" inches) on the Ultrabox 500 - the tape was only a few nicker and you get quite alot of it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back