Back box- not the exhausty kind (1 Viewer)

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yorkshireman living in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Been looking for a box to fit on my Fiamma bike rack.

The fiamma boxes are hideously expensive and quite frankly a bit of a urine extraction for what they are !!

How would I know the loading limit of the rack ? Its for three bikes. I suppose I could weigh three bikes and stick to that weight for the box and stuff ?

So what alternatives do I have ? any links etc appreciated.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Fiamma back boxes come up for sale second-hand from time to time. Keep looking on eBay although you would probably have to travel to collect one. You should be able to get one for less than £100, I did.
My bike rack is a Fiamma twin bike one and is rated at 25Kg from memory. I suggest looking on line and finding a rack which looks like yours and see what it is rated at.
I am very wary of overloading ours and it normally carries just the silver screen and a couple of folding chairs plus a few minor odds and ends like waste pipes. Our van is a pvc so the rack is hung on one of the back doors and I have heard of doors being damaged if you hit a bump like a sleeping policeman at speed.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My bike rack is a Fiamma twin bike one and is rated at 25Kg from memory. I suggest looking on line and finding a rack which looks like yours and see what it is rated at.
If its the same model of Fiamma rack that we have on our PVC (the type that clamps around the outer edges rather than hooks over the door) it will be 35kg max load ... I had to be very careful when buying electric bikes to make sure they could both go on it (sans batteries).

As for the back boxes, do as suggested and work out what weight you can carry at the rear - take it to a weighbridge and check it to be sure - then you'll know whether you actually have enough capacity on the rear for a box and it's contents.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Carhill, your MoHo manufacturer may also have an advisory weight limit for the bike rack fixings on the back panel. Combined weight of the bike rack + empty back box needs to be taken into account before you add the weight of the stuff you want to carry in the box.

Upvote 0

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I have a fiamma 500 ultrabox thats for sale, havent used it for 12 months as i no longer have the need for it, had it fixed to a fiamma 2 cycle carrier on the back of our old panel van. ..pm me if interested

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back