Back after X2 vans. Looking to possibly self build (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Hi.

So I joined in 2016 with a Swift Escape 696 2015 model

IMG_3440.JPG

It was a great Family van with 2 young kids..... But fast forward to 2019 and I got divorced so sold it.

I then did a self build camper can in the first lockdown

IMG_0641.jpeg

IMG_0779.jpeg

Really nice van that. And had a good laugh in it...... But after having a full size motorhome its just not enough for me. I like free camping next to lakes and having a full house on wheels.......

So I am deep into research for "MY" van.......

I ideally want something with a garage I can drive/park an electric motorbike in with charging point. So lots of solar and lithium power for off grid.

I also want a fixed bed. Over the garage feels best....

And a proper sofa..... The next two photos will explain it. But I cant stand 99% of motorhome seating. There are all (my swift included) stiff 90deg upright cushions that are loosely fitted to the wall with dodgy clips or none at all.

No ones sofa anywhere is designed like that.

782f1e30-d982-43bf-95bc-1dedac225d31.jpg

I just dont understand why anyone would want that. Not one seat is where I would want to sit to watch a movie and relax with my girl. Its just beyond uncomfortable. Cramped looking and doesn't have that living room chilling watching a movie feel.

ddf96f53-0d94-4d8e-bc38-d560273bcd39.jpg

Excuse the man spreading photo. But thats how I like to relax at home. So if im on my holiday in the van I want the same level of relaxation.

I have seen some great Mercedes conversions on eBay but they are between 90-110k and even +vat. ticks a lot of boxes but not the sofa area. Just a big big let down. Other issue is vans tend to curl in as they gain height so they just dont seem to have the same feeling of internal space.

<Broken link removed>

Other Motorhomes I really like are Bailey Autograph range. They seem closest so far as far as internals go. But with the lack of mega garage to have a motorbike.

<Broken link removed>

The sofa on this one as least looks to have some recline.

So...... Im still looking / thinking / researching..... Oh and raising funds. I dont have a budget yet really. But if its a self build I was thinking 25k ish for a donor van and then with the help of pro's and self build I could custom one myself over 4-6 months with no finance needed.

If its buying one then I think Ā£40-60k with a combination of cash and finance would do it. leaving me some money to buy stuff needed like LPG and solar etc.

Anyway... Hi all again...... Hope the van life is treating everyone well in these odd times...... I am hoping to be doing a few trips over the next few months in a friends Caravan so at least ill get to some sites and have some mini trips until I get my Motorhome sorted.

Dave

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
You need to be careful to not go too large as you like wild camping, parking next to lakes etc, it could restrict you going larger.

Murvi Morello is a good layout PVC, wonderful sofa for during the day which makes into a good sized double. No garage though unless you go for the ELWB 6.39 metre one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
You need to be careful to not go too large as you like wild camping, parking next to lakes etc, it could restrict you going larger.

Murvi Morello is a good layout PVC, wonderful sofa for during the day which makes into a good sized double. No garage though unless you go for the ELWB 6.39 metre one.
Does have a better sofa that one but no garage is an issue. Also I 100% refuse to make a bed on a night out of slats and sofa cushions. It needs to be a fixed style. I prefer rear ones with a walk space either side but I dont think il get one high enough in the middle to get a motorbike under it in a garage so im more likely looking for the raised style

Screenshot 2021-09-14 at 08.51.23.png

Screenshot 2021-09-14 at 08.51.10.png

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The layout like that is very popular with the motor cross fraternity, there are usually tonnes with that layout for sale on eBay etc, usually terribly done DIY attempts.

I can see why you want to do your own conversion.

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
Sounds like you're looking for a tardis. Once you've got a garage in there, you're basically stuck with having a transverse bed on top of it, and the fancy sofa would take up everything else. It doesn't help that the Sprinter is narrow; there's no way I could lie across it, at 6'2".

Why don't you try some 3D modelling? I used Sketchup, which is free. It takes a bit of getting used to, but you can quickly work out what is and isn't possible.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Something has got to give, a long sofa and a fixed bed and a garage plus you like wild camping, parking next to lakes etc so donā€™t want one too long?

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
One way around the bed is to have flared sides

3AF288C8-C456-4E23-B6E3-77AACE58027F.jpeg

Might be an issue on the slide door but be interesting to see if I can steal enough width to lay head and feet at the sides (transverse?) to save forward space for the sofa.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
If you are looking at a Panel van for self build then you will not be able to do a fixed bed with space around to walk as you will have to sleep transverse in a Sivel van or longitudinal in a Transit or VW as they are narrower.
Either way I cannot see how you can get a fixed bed, garage and a lounger without having to convert a BT van or Luton Box van, which always look like a amateur job.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
If you are looking at a Panel van for self build then you will not be able to do a fixed bed with space around to walk as you will have to sleep transverse in a Sivel van or longitudinal in a Transit or VW as they are narrower.
Either way I cannot see how you can get a fixed bed, garage and a lounger without having to convert a BT van or Luton Box van, which always look like a amateur job.
Mk 8 transit is wider if you put the bed at window height with a decent garage under you can easily sleep transversely.

Cheers James

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Mk 8 transit is wider if you put the bed at window height with a decent garage under you can easily sleep transversely.

Cheers James
Agreed, but it will be cold in winter (no space for insulation) sleeping in winter with your head against either the panel or window will give you brain freeze šŸ˜

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
Get the garage and then alter inside to get the sofa you want from a model thatā€™s got a sofa youā€™re not keen on perhaps

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Get a unimog, make your own box , all sorted, there is a very nice self build unimog thread on here with custom made box!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back