LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hazel, I have hand reared, some failures :(, several little critters over my time.

i was always told that if you can get them to the stage where they start to clean themselves, as Gerald is, then you are WELL on the way to success. :)

well done, darlin'.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
No he won't, he's a field mouse, they don't invade or destroy at all.:)
When people talk about that, they are talking about house mice, now they do, do that.
I don't know the difference between a house mice and a field mice. I have heard of the latter and also doormice, which I believe the Romans bred and ate as a delicasy :coffee::giggler:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
What a lovely thread.. wishing you and Gerald all the luck in the world... I'm thinking from the videos its looking good ..
Not sure about the release ?...I think you may have a companion for a while???
Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Gerald update...…...
He is much more active today, yesterday he was really wobbly & slow. Today he has been climbing about on the top of his 'house' and has also voiced his opinion.
20190627_083630.jpg
20190627_083723.jpg

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Maybe he’s a bit older than you think , they are tiny little things after all . With him being furry and cleaning himself . He may need food as well as milk . I watched a vid on you tube and a man made up a platter of various seeds nuts cucumber . Put it next to the bottle top with water in and the cute little thing chowed down !
Keep on getting stronger Gerald ?

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I believe the Romans bred and ate as a delicasy

The mouse you refer to is called "The Edible Mouse" & as you've correctly pointed out, the did arrive by the Roman.

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
I don't know the difference between a house mice and a field mice. I have heard of the latter and also doormice, which I believe the Romans bred and ate as a delicasy :coffee::giggler:
One difference is his tummy, is a pale colour, almost white, then there are his back legs, like mouse sized kangaroo legs, ideal for leaping as apposed to running.?

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Maybe he’s a bit older than you think , they are tiny little things after all . With him being furry and cleaning himself . He may need food as well as milk . I watched a vid on you tube and a man made up a platter of various seeds nuts cucumber . Put it next to the bottle top with water in and the cute little thing chowed down !
Keep on getting stronger Gerald ?
I tried him with food today, he is interested, but not sure what to do, but i'll keep trying.?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
My apologies, I have just checked on the Internet and apparently there are 6 different mice types in the UK, there is a field mouse, harvest mouse, Dormouse and an Edible Dormouse, per the wildlife Trust, I tried to do a link but don't know how to on the phone, but there are some pics it doesn't state what the other 2 mice types are. An Edible Dormouse can live for 10 years whereas the Dormouse just for 5, unless that is:pray:?????

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
My apologies, I have just checked on the Internet and apparently there are 6 different mice types in the UK, there is a field mouse, harvest mouse, Dormouse and an Edible Dormouse, per the wildlife Trust, I tried to do a link but don't know how to on the phone, but there are some pics it doesn't state what the other 2 mice types are. An Edible Dormouse can live for 10 years whereas the Dormouse just for 5, unless that is:pray:?????
No need to apologise, every days a school day as they say.
There's also the house mouse and that's the one that gives us problems, not sure about the other one, i'll need to look that one up. The edible dormouse is also known as the Glis or Glisglis.
Ps. there are also good descriptions on the rentokil website :giggler: :reel:
Git...….:whistle::D2

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ah but this is a field mouse, if I succeed I will take him to a suitable release site.
I think that's your biggest challenge because being human raised he or she may not know how to forage. We raised pigeons and magpies in my family when I was a sprog and in time the birds learned to live on their own and dissappeared but before that happened they would return for a free meal.

I don't know who you've consulted but try Mrs Tiggywinkles, they don't just do hedgehogs. :) It is not impossible you may have to look after Gerald for good - but if you live in the country you may be able to allow it to explore from the house knowing there is food it can return to. But you will need to agree this strategy with the local FU - feline union.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back