BobbysDad

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Hymer S550
Exp
Would anyone be able to help? I am a newbie to the site and would like some advice.... My wife and I are travelling for the first time in a MH with our 11 month old baby. We would like him to sleep in the drop down bed above the driver seats (Hymer S550) so we can still use the rest of the van. Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent him rolling off the bed??

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cushions or pillows between him and the edge.

probably wont stop him waking and rolling out but will stop him 'sleep' rolling out.

our last eurovan had a cargo net across the overcab area but may be hard to fit on a drop-down bed.

Upvote 0

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Our drop down bed has a built in net that fastens up to stop falling out of bed (in my case when persisted) :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
if the bed does not have the drop down net how about a roof rack bungie net:Blush: about a £10 Argos i think

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My drop down bed has quite a substantial net type thing, though not a net, more plastic with holes in but more plastic than holes if you get my drift.

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Come on people. Lets help with sensible suggestions. Head to the local pound shop. Get some of the sew in hook and eye( Velcro fastening), sew one side on to the bed sheet, one side onto the sleep suit/babygrow. Sorted.:thumb:

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you use any type of netting/cargo straps I would check that the baby can't get his/her hands/arms through any holes.

Not being a parent I know jack about this subject but I can imagine a baby getting their arm through a cargo net then rolling the other way and causing injury to themselves????

If I am wrong on this just ignore me...:Doh:

Upvote 0

welshcowboy

Free Member
Jul 6, 2012
flint
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
1 year
bed solution

how about this nice and safe i know how you feel we have 6 kids and 3 of them are under the age of 3yrs old

Link Removed

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well we used to build a 'nest' with pillows when we had babies staying, as we only had a double bed as a 'spare'

However that did not guarantee they wouldn't fall out. I remember such a thud one night when Pete's 2 yo granddaughter did that. I shot upstairsand almost had heart failure till I realised she'd gone on the wall side of the bed (plenty of room, just couldn't see her.

Picked her up and cuddled her and tucked her back up and came back down - only then did I remember she didn't actually really know who the hell I was ! No idea why she never screamed her head off - or how she fell out anyway.

Sorry, might be OK whilst you are awake but I wouldn't want to go to sleep down the other end with a baby up there in the sharp end. Even though ours has a proper cargo net that has NO spaces at either end. Well - could I even go to sleep? Would you be able to squish a travel cot in, once you DO go to bed? We couldn't without blocking the loo doorway. But there again, we could stick it in the lounge at that juncture - and we would sleep in the Luton !

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I would try one of these..

Fold up and easy to stow... :thumb:

Link Removed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BobbysDad

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Hymer S550
Exp
Thank you

Really appreciate the responses. I had no idea there could be so many solutions - I particularly like the idea of the velcro suit but the wife just rolled her eyes at me! ::bigsmile:
I think we'll go for the pop up cot and stitch velcro to the underside maybe with a bed guard just in case...
Thanks again for all your replies, what a helpful bunch you are! Very much looking forward to our trip - hopefully with no bumps!

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I am surprised your S550 does not have a safety net fitted to the drop-down bed; I thought all Hymers had these. Does yours have two silver metal clips fitted one either side of the ceiling above the rear edge of the bed? If so, these are the attachment points for a safety net. Apologies if this sounds patronisingly obvious, but I note you have not had the van long; have you checked beneath the mattress to see if there is a net folded away in there? When stowed, the net is not visible.

Upvote 0

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Please be very cautious about using cargo net devices, bungee straps or similar. It is very easy for a baby or young child to hang/strangle themselves. It only takes a few minutes of inattention for the unthinkable to occur.

Mike

Upvote 0

jeepmadmike

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
5 years
On our old van I had to build a wooden "fence" to keep our daughter in she pulled the net type thing from its fixings a couple of times- we started in the MH when she was just over one.....

I'm not sure how we are going to play it in our new van yet "the boy" is 6 months so not very mobile yet!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back