B869 Highlands road question

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Tezza, May 19, 2017.

1. Tezza

Tezza Funster

Planning a visit to Clachtol beach in September/October, the web says this road is dodgy for large vehicles due to steep climbs and switchbacks.
    Is this true, any advice/update from anyone who has driven it please.

I have been to Lochinver but not driven this road, Yet.

2. PeteH

PeteH Funster

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

See this video from the campsite's website to see what size of m/h gets there (we went in a tiny van so didn't really notice) EDIT - THAT'S NOT THE VIDEO I POSTED!!! I'LL TRY AGAIN - yup, got it! - see next post

Also if you're going to the campsite, note that:

We no longer have a chemical disposal point. You can still dispose of your waste providing you use Environmentally friendly chemical's only!

There are lots of different brands out there and we don't mind which ones you use as long there are eco friendly. These environmentally friendly chemical products are widely available from many stockists such as Amazon, eBay and Go Outdoors etc.
    It's a beautiful spot - you'll enjoy your visit!

4. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

We were up there two weeks ago, it is a single track road with passing places, I have a 8.5metre Tag axle no problems, we did meet an 8wheel tipper and passed without any problem. you just have to drive sensibly. They have refuse collections with bin trucks ! Scenery was spectacular , we had the two sunny weeks beginning May. Also stopped at Glencoe Visitor centre, Campsite thereon Scottish National Trust, and Glen Nevis Holidays Fort William. The latter is an excellent site below Ben Nevis, big pitches and all facilities.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. klaatu

klaatu Funster

The road between Lochinver and Clachtoll is not a problem. Apparently it gets more interesting further on.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Rapido925M

Rapido925M Funster

We did it (N to S) last September (6m long, 2.28m wide Aclass) and I will not be in a hurry to do it again :whistle:. However, the important thing is that WE DID IT (y). There were some butt-clenching moments, such as when all I could see out of the window was sky as we went over the crest of a steep hill, or meeting a van on a 90deg bend on a steep hill.

There were narrow places, steep places etc but nothing that couldn't be done: the scenery was worth the effort. We took lunch in a lovely lay-bye at Drumbeg, overlooking fish farms and islands :) .

The good thing about all of the roads in the "top" of Scotland is that traffic is very light (and, usually, very accommodating). Drive steadily (I pulled in to let a big Hymer get past, who was clearly in a hurry: 5 miles later he was broken down with a puncture) and all should be well.

Gordon

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  8. BusyBuilder

BusyBuilder Funster

Easy, I did a few weeks back after staying at Stoer Lighthouse (see thread Some Welcome) bit winding, but there are worse roads. Clachtol is a beautiful site with white almost tropical sandy beaches.