B544 spare wheel (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Has anyone come up with a solution to the spare wheel on the Hymer ?

Mines a 2012 B544, and looked underneath, plenty of space at the rear, but not too sure about road clearance when the wheel is hung from underside of floor. Especially when going on off ferries.

The measurement from the floor to ground is just over 15", the rear subframe by the tow bar is 11" and the wheel/tyre is 9" (225 tyre), so we would have about 6" clearance. Is this sufficient ?

What have others done ? will a puncture repair kit do ? We do have breakdown cover.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I thought the B544 spare was kept between the floors..

or is that only on older models with AL-KO chassis ?

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Not sure about Alko, should have said, mine Fiat Maxi chassis.

Also thinking of fitting semi air suspension on back, already have Goldshmitt springs on front.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Has anyone come up with a solution to the spare wheel on the Hymer ?

Mines a 2012 B544, and looked underneath, plenty of space at the rear, but not too sure about road clearance when the wheel is hung from underside of floor. Especially when going on off ferries.

The measurement from the floor to ground is just over 15", the rear subframe by the tow bar is 11" and the wheel/tyre is 9" (225 tyre), so we would have about 6" clearance. Is this sufficient ?

What have others done ? will a puncture repair kit do ? We do have breakdown cover.

Is there any progress on this as mine is in the rear through locker and takes up a fair bit of room, I too looked at the back and I don’t think it will go, especially when reversing back over Kerbs in parking spaces.... too much damage would be caused I fear...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our first Hymer was a Tramp SL on a Fiat chassis. The spare was mounted midships on a wind down cable. Hymer had welded/bolted a steel frame between the chassis members that the wheel pulled up against. A plastic plug in a hole through the floor to put the winding handle through. They had used & adapted the whinch that is used on the panel vans.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Looked at mid ships but with 16" 225mm tyres I still think it was too tight as the hand brake splitter was also in the way. And where Fiat put it, behind the rear axle, the rear locker is in the way.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back