Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
I was reading in another post that when they use a hair dryer or hair straightener from the inverter they would run the engine at the same time and the B2b would help replenish and lighten the load.

Is this something others do, I’ve never thought about it but it’s seems the sensible thing to do.

what do the funsters think.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
B2B alone isn't going to provide enough juice for a heavy duty inverter powering say 1500W hairdryer. You could be pulling some 130Amp + at 12V from the inverter. Equally unless you have an impressive battery bank, that level of current would be more than the batteries could sustain for a short load (C rate for charge / discharge).

But running an engine on idle is also poor practice, especially if starting the engine cold and only running a few minutes so it doesn't really get everything up to temperatures. For the modern diesel it can also start to gum up stuff like DPF sensors. It'll be as bad as a generator, if not worse to neighbours on a campsite. It won't be energy efficient on fuel. Yes I know some service vehicles have hand throttle systems as they are perhaps kept parked up with occupants on duty for hours, but that isn't part of a standard motorhome.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
-

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
A number 3 all over will solve the issue - no hair, no need for dryers or straighteners 🙂

In my cases, suffering from premature Kojakulation means I don't even need the hair cut!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes I know some service vehicles have hand throttle systems as they are perhaps kept parked up with occupants on duty for hours, but that isn't part of a standard motorhome.
As its a diesel engine fitted to both motorhome and service vehicle, possibly even the same make of vehicle, how can there be a difference and what makes a motorhome engine special?

addoaddo

Free Member
May 21, 2018
Newbury
Funster No
MH
Cathargo e line
Exp
long time
On our motorhome with a 3l engine the b2b does not realing start unless the engine is running at over 2000rpm. At tick over it will generate hardly any electricity

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
As its a diesel engine fitted to both motorhome and service vehicle, possibly even the same make of vehicle, how can there be a difference and what makes a motorhome engine special?
The engines will be the same, it's the modifications made to the service vehicle (ambulance etc) that make the difference so it is intended to sit running a little bit faster than idle to so as to keep some of the electrics running. Not dissimilar to a motorhome, but clearly a bit more critical there will be auxiliary batteries, inverters to power the treatment area kit. As above, you'll get limited charge from an idling engine, so need a few more revs, hence the hand throttle in ancient terms, probably replaced by modern electric stuff these days.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The service vehicle has been driving and is fully up to temperature.
Start a Ducato up from from cold and let it tickover for ½ an hour and the temperature gauge will not have moved off the stop. Oil will not be up to temperature causing bore glazing & wear. The Cat and DPF will never reach operating temperature so with the cold gases going though them is a good way of buggering them.

If you want a bill for a few grand fine run your engine from cold to charger your battery.

OP
OP
AMK

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
It really sounds like a silly thing to do then doesn’t it.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Ambulances are on a standard chassis with no mods as far as I am aware in my Trust. They do have auxiliary batteries though and are shorelined when not on the run to fully charge everything. If they do the wiring right, the standard Alternator can shove out over 20 amps to the auxiliary batteries. With modern LED lights, they are a lot less power hungry than they used to be.

They do however suffer with an overheating cylinder bore between 3 and 4 piston I think when left idling for long periods of time. The fleet Manager knows much more and is a very interesting chap to talk to.

In short, I wouldn’t let mine idle for long periods, hot or cold.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back