Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Whilst I do not agree with everything A&N say (based on my correspondence with Schaudt regarding technical questions in the past) I suggest you read this page - particularly point 2.
http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/schaudt-elektroblock.php
The EBL99 does not have 'voltage boost technology' referred to in the piece (so far as I can tell from the circuit diagram - but the later EBL220 does) but I would still make sure you use a competent installer or get advice from Udo Lang at Schaudt before proceeding. I do not have a B2B so take my comments as nothing more than pointers. I know others have B2Bs with Elektroblocks so it must be OK. Just be aware that as well as the leisure battery connection, there are already two connections from the starter battery to the EBL99 plus the D+ signal cables to activate internal relays. You are then going to bridge the starter battery to the leisure battery via the B2B as well.
Others who know better may well say I am talking b0***cks but I am merely suggesting caution as a new EBL is over £300.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The current passed by the B2B from battery to battery should not go through the electrobloc, it has no need to. It will take the path of least resistance through the specifically installed directly connected larger cables

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Philip, Thanks for that but I am somewhat confused. The article suggests only that the voltage of the input from the alternator is boosted by the EBL, but makes no mention of the actual power itself from the alternator being boosted as the B2B is said to do. That makes sense in that it enables a full charge to the battery, but it can only be done at the expense of the current. Therefore I am not sure that the EBL boosts the overall power from the alternator does it?.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Udo is very easy to communicate with as @JeanLuc has said many times. I would send him the diagram of a Sterling B2B for his comments. Easy as

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The current passed by the B2B from battery to battery should not go through the electrobloc, it has no need to. It will take the path of least resistance through the specifically installed directly connected larger cables
I wasn't going to route it through the EBL. It is clearly shown on Sterling's instructions as going direct. Are the existing cables from the alternator to the starter battery replaced with larger ones as well?

Edit: and should I remove any of the existing connections between the batteries and the BEL?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I wasn't going to route it through the EBL. It is clearly shown on Sterling's instructions as going direct. Are the existing cables from the alternator to the starter battery replaced with larger ones as well?
Yes I know you weren't this is why I said current won't go through it.
The cables you install are from the Starter to Leisure battery only, usually 25mm minimum depending on the B2B you choose. The alternator wiring is not involved

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
@eddievanbitz could fit one for you when you have your alarm fitted, if you're unsure about fitting one yourself
Robert, I like to have a project sometimes, but that may well be my fall back position if the project gets too big.

Peter

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Robert, I like to have a project sometimes, but that may well be my fall back position if the project gets too big.

Peter
I love a little project too !
Before beginning the project I'd find out if your new van is fitted with a b2b charger as standard - ours was

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Before beginning the project I'd find out if your new van is fitted with a b2b charger as standard - ours was
For which I am grateful :LOL:
CA_11051519034917-X2.jpg

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Good point. No mention of it in the spec though - unless it is the reference to a "boosted battery"? Mind you there is no mention of it in your Carthago spec either!

Could anybody with a recent Hymer let me know if a B2B is a standard fit please.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Good point. No mention of it in the spec though - unless it is the reference to a "boosted battery"? Mind you there is no mention of it in your Carthago spec either!

Could anybody with a recent Hymer let me know if a B2B is a standard fit please.
I only found out when I went to collect my van and was telling the service manager that I was planning on refitting the one we'd had removed from our Bessie
Having read the handbook (comes in its own breifcase) it's mentioned in there

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
On a serious note though, the sterling B2B charger is a great piece of kit
So is the Victron inverter we had fitted

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The EBL will have the 2 positive connections and the common negative going straight in underneath so surely they are all you need as long as they are thick enough.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The EBL will have the 2 positive connections and the common negative going straight in underneath so surely they are all you need as long as they are thick enough.
You're a bit off track mate this is a B2B not a battery master

IE
Broken Link Removed

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
If you are worried about the electro bloc, simply chuck a normally closed 5 pin relay in the positive from leisure battery to the electro block.
Supply the relay with an ign live so when you switch the engine on, the batteries being charged are isolated from the electro bloc.
The electro bloc feeds the hab electrics and fridge but does not receive any amplified voltage from the B2B.
When you stop the engine, the relay closes and the electro bloc operation continues as usual, supplying the van electrics from your leisure battery.
Simples!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Udo is very easy to communicate with as @JeanLuc has said many times. I would send him the diagram of a Sterling B2B for his comments. Easy as
@peterc10. Which is what I did before installing ours, as well as speaking with Sterling directly several times.

We have an EBL4-105, and Udo advised that there shouldn't be a conflict issue, other than with an LED panel display if fitted. Ours is an analogue panel display, and the only conflict appears to be when the fridge is taking a charge from the alternator, ie, the needle goes to discharge. When informed, Udo didn't view this as a problem.
I did a lot of homework and research before taking on the task, and I used 35mm welding cable to make the connections.

It's been on there for about three or four years now,and working a treat. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back