mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
You could probably safely get away with it but increasingly technology is catching up. There are things called weight in motion sensors (WIM) which coupled with automatic number plate recognition measure your vehicle as you drive over the sensors buried in the road and check if you are overweight. No doubt the fine is issued equally automatically!

Given where you live, near a port, I would expect if there are none near you now, they are coming.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Oh no it doesn't !!! Once you have let go of your C1 either by age or medical condition - because giving it up is voluntary - I could have kept it if I could be arsed to have, and pay for, an annual medical - not only do you have to then pass the medical - you have to take the C1 driving test, which now involves compulsory lessons - rather like the CBT for new motorbike licences!
Im confused as I was not aware of this ( 70, eighteen months time) not sure what your saying ? if you give up your current C1 licence and then change your mind you are then subject to take a C1 driving test??

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
But dont you loose it automatically at 70 anyway?

Hardly end of the world anyway, a couple can manage well at 3500 if they do their homework, select a light van.

I have managed for 20 years, even with children.......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Oh no it doesn't !!! Once you have let go of your C1 either by age or medical condition - because giving it up is voluntary - I could have kept it if I could be arsed to have, and pay for, an annual medical - not only do you have to then pass the medical - you have to take the C1 driving test, which now involves compulsory lessons - rather like the CBT for new motorbike licences!

Fortunately that doesn't happen here !:) We have the same 10 year renewal on everything up to the ' b' section but 'C1' & up+btp ,has to be renewed at 5 years, when the 'B' & below automatically gets extended as well.
If you let the 'C1' etc; lapse until the 10 year renewal you can still renewal all if you want.

Deleted User
Epilepsy also effects your C1, Nige has a form of Epilepsy as a result of a head injury. He now has his licence issued for only three years at a time, and has to wait 10 years from being stable to apply for the C1 back. So he will be 50 at that point, I have the C1, but doubt will risk getting a bigger MH it's not worth the hassle for us

Lin

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Im confused as I was not aware of this ( 70, eighteen months time) not sure what your saying ? if you give up your current C1 licence and then change your mind you are then subject to take a C1 driving test??

Yes !!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
But dont you loose it automatically at 70 anyway?

Hardly end of the world anyway, a couple can manage well at 3500 if they do their homework, select a light van.

I have managed for 20 years, even with children.......
That might be okay for some, but not for everyone. :(

I could maybe go with the idea of a PVC for travelling to and from a permanent pitch in warmer climes, whereupon we had a caravan and awning to live in, but not sure about being able to stay under the 3500kgs MGW in an A Class MH.
Needs must I suppose.

Cheers,

Jock.

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots

Not sure how they are going to automatically recognise the max allowed weight on a British registered motorhome though, they don't have access to DVLA

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
That might be okay for some, but not for everyone. :(

I could maybe go with the idea of a PVC for travelling to and from a permanent pitch in warmer climes, whereupon we had a caravan and awning to live in, but not sure about being able to stay under the 3500kgs MGW in an A Class MH.
Needs must I suppose.

Cheers,

Jock.

Needs must is right i'm afraid:)

New hymer and Carthago A class just about work @ 3500, in fact better then some larger PVC's which dont.....

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
mine is classed as a 3.5 ton I have got along just fine with it for 25 years.

Henri37

Free Member
Apr 17, 2017
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pioneer Classic V
Exp
Past owner but recently bought new van for retirement
Hi All, having read all the comments on the OP's post, I'm now very concerned about weight issues. Our current van is supposed to be 3.2 but we were thinking of getting a new van up to 3.5. Problem is hubby has just reached 70 and chose not to go for the medical, etc. therefore only allowed up to 3.5.
My worry is, if we buy a new van weighing in at 3.5 does that mean we have no spare weight for clothes, dishes,, etc?

Henri

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
For a medical, use "Doctors on Wheels" half the price of which your own doctor will charge and this includes eye site tests.

colyboy

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best just get a fifth wheeler. can have loads payload.
drop a 6.5 tonner or even a 7.5tonner to 3.5 ton and pull a fifth wheel trailer. with b+e if got before13th january 2013 you could easily have ten ton trainweight even 11 ton . sometimes twelve ton.
they are the way forward for the over 70,s .
when you voluntary lower the gvw of the tow vehicle it actually still keeps the original train weight .

Henri37

Free Member
Apr 17, 2017
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pioneer Classic V
Exp
Unfortunately colyboy, they don't have any locations listed in Scotland. IF hubby does get the medical etc, can he then apply to get the necessary C categories added to his new liccence?

Henri

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes if he had c1e before he can get it back ,its only paperwork and the medical. so long as he is well and fit should be no probs .

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Fines for each axle that is overweight and for the total..... unloading there and then to bring it back into limits. Insurance void so points / fine for that. And that's just for starters!!!!

I'm not sure how many people have been puled over and weighed.
No points for overloading! So there is a bit of good news.

You also need to bear in mind that the guidelines quoted by pappajohn, although exactly correct, are not binding on any of our 42 police forces who can (and do) each go their own way.

Henri37

Free Member
Apr 17, 2017
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pioneer Classic V
Exp
But what about Europe eg France or Spain?

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Hi All, having read all the comments on the OP's post, I'm now very concerned about weight issues. Our current van is supposed to be 3.2 but we were thinking of getting a new van up to 3.5. Problem is hubby has just reached 70 and chose not to go for the medical, etc. therefore only allowed up to 3.5.
My worry is, if we buy a new van weighing in at 3.5 does that mean we have no spare weight for clothes, dishes,, etc?

Henri

1. The 3.5 ton commonly mentioned on here is the maximum permissible laden weight of the vehicle

2. The MRO (mass in running order) is the "normal" weight of the vehicle including the driver, the furniture and water etc. but without any passengers, all the things that you put in the vehicle such as spare clothes, pots, pans etc.etc.

The difference between 1. & 2. above is the "payload"

It is likely that for a vehicle with 3.5 tonne quoted as the max weight then the MRO or "normal" weight will be somewhere between 2.9 and 3.2 tonnes giving a payload of 600 to 300 kg.

The unladen weight is that of the vehicle without the driver, water, oil, fittings and the like so is a somewhat misleading figure - stick with the MRO and Max permissible weights to best understand what your payload can be

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Henri
Quite a few vans now at 3500kg with decent payloads so it is doable. Bear in mind the way they state payload, normally some allowances are already made for. The figure the manufacturers quote is MIRO (mass in running order) which includes a driver at 75kg, 90% fuel, 20Lt water & 1 aluminium 11kg gas bottle. Be aware not all manufacturers go by the same rules also it does not include any factory or dealer fitted options. If you aim for a van with a payload of 600-700kg you shouldn't have any problems.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Unfortunately colyboy, they don't have any locations listed in Scotland. IF hubby does get the medical etc, can he then apply to get the necessary C categories added to his new liccence?

Henri
Try D4Drivers
Edit: if they have this facility available near you, you'll be pleased because it's a quid cheaper than Doctors on Wheels

Henri37

Free Member
Apr 17, 2017
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pioneer Classic V
Exp
Thanks EX51SSS D4 Drivers are looking good ta muchly.
Also thanks to other Funsters who explained about payload and MIRO which also helps.
:)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
With D4Drivers,, when I used them, I arranged a very good appointment time with them. I chose a Sunday morning and it was ideal (course, I bet it was the quid that swung it really?)
Good luck @Henri37

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I gather from your replies that although my 'van is plated at 3500Kg then when fully laden there is a possibility that it may weigh in excess of 3500Kg - if so what are the consequences? - I doubt if the chassis would suddenly "fold"

What are the chances of being directed by the Police on to a weighbridge? - if that did happen and it was a bit overweight what are the consequenses?
You have to empty the water all over his feet whilst getting a big bollocking, make the wife get out and walk off up the road and pick her up later, take the dog as well.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
You can upgrade your license. It just needs a basic medical exam which to be honest if you fail you shouldn't be driving anyway! I mean that kindly - I will be there in my vest in front of the Doc in a few years.
That is what you think if they start insisting on the treadmill test you might be sunk.
By the way do you realise how old this posting is,, even poor old Judgemental is just back up the list a bit.?????????

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Try D4Drivers
Edit: if they have this facility available near you, you'll be pleased because it's a quid cheaper than Doctors on Wheels

Fully agree - I used them to get my C1 category back last year when I uprated the van - they were efficient and convenient! :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back