b.adnxs.com redirect virus/adware (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Ive been trying to rid of this for weeks, Ive been using spyhunter 4 (registerd user) and had lots of help from their teckies but back today...it seems only previlant in aol

to I really need to re format and re install

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Some of the really nasty things will survive formatting. What sort of anti-virus software have you got?

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
using AVG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have you set it to do a full scan, it will take a few hours probably. Check you have the most up to date virus definitions first.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Have you set it to do a full scan, it will take a few hours probably. Check you have the most up to date virus definitions first.

yes tried it several times, strange thing is it only happen using the aol browser,IE and firefox both have been ok

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have you tried Googling "b.adnxs.com"? I just did and there seems a lot of discussion on how to get rid of it. The only advice I can give is don't actually download anything or you are likely to make things worse. Unfortunately most of the Google results seem to lead this way so just keep looking through them until you find something you can do without installing another bit of rubbish.

This answer seems to suggest a way but tread carefully... http://guides.yoosecurity.com/hijacked-by-ib-adnxs-com-redirect-virus-how-to-remove-it-manually/

It does involve registry edits so make sure you create a restore point before starting. There is always the danger the virus has been altered since this was written and it may be harder to remove.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
yes tried it several times, strange thing is it only happen using the aol browser,IE and firefox both have been ok

Sounds like it's embedded in the AOL browser.. maybe I'm missing something, why not just uninstall the browser..?

I hate AOL

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You should also use the Microsoft emergency respond tool. Now renamed as the Microsoft Security scanner.

It is an up to date tool that removes spyware, viruses and malware. You must download it each time you need it as each download is only validfor 10 days to ensure you use one that is up to date.

I once had a root kit infection and this was the only way I found of getting rid of it.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

I would also install a new browser like Chrome or Firefox and then uninstall aol.

If you let me know which version of windows you are running I can send instructions to do the uninstall.

Most important is to do a full virus scan and then then run the Microsoft tool. It is very simple. Download it from the link above, then follow the instructions on screen.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Have you tried Googling "b.adnxs.com"? I just did and there seems a lot of discussion on how to get rid of it. The only advice I can give is don't actually download anything or you are likely to make things worse. Unfortunately most of the Google results seem to lead this way so just keep looking through them until you find something you can do without installing another bit of rubbish.

This answer seems to suggest a way but tread carefully... http://guides.yoosecurity.com/hijacked-by-ib-adnxs-com-redirect-virus-how-to-remove-it-manually/

It does involve registry edits so make sure you create a restore point before starting. There is always the danger the virus has been altered since this was written and it may be harder to remove.

Thanks, I did that and as you say lots of discusion but it does seem you have to download differant stuff and I never after many hours readingfound anybody saying YES i got rid of it, the yousecurity.com link does see the most possible way, but Im going to have set a lng day with no distactions for that one

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Sounds like it's embedded in the AOL browser.. maybe I'm missing something, why not just uninstall the browser..?
I hate AOL

I beginning to too, unfortunately I have long standing use of AOL and I use an AOL email for work purposes and to change email address totally would cause more trouble than enough.

I know I can access my AOL mail from other browsers and I’ve been using Firefox with AOL toolbar.

As to uninstalling the browser and downloading newer versions the new version has print problems (can’t print some web pages/ orders/ bank statements) OAL teck help say it’s a known problem got back to the earler version. However you can’t seem to down load 9.6 anywhere and search seems to go to 9.7 or above.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
You should also use the Microsoft emergency respond tool. Now renamed as the Microsoft Security scanner.

It is an up to date tool that removes spyware, viruses and malware. You must download it each time you need it as each download is only validfor 10 days to ensure you use one that is up to date.

I once had a root kit infection and this was the only way I found of getting rid of it.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

I would also install a new browser like Chrome or Firefox and then uninstall aol.

If you let me know which version of windows you are running I can send instructions to do the uninstall.

Most important is to do a full virus scan and then then run the Microsoft tool. It is very simple. Download it from the link above, then follow the instructions on screen.

Thanks, I'm going to try that this morning, Ive been using Firefox with the aol toolbar which seems ok so far.

Im using windows 7, Is the unistall ( control pannal>programs and fetures> select progam and uninstall ) or something more than that?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Im using windows 7, Is the unistall ( control pannal>programs and fetures> select progam and uninstall ) or something more than that?

sorry for answering your question to Oddsocks

yes, you can uninstall using the 'uninstall a program' in Windows control panel , but it leaves files and bits and pieces scattered around that can cause issues.

I always use Revo Uninstaller to remove unwanted programs.. it does a proper job .. safe and easy to use..

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
sorry for answering your question to Oddsocks

yes, you can uninstall using the 'uninstall a program' in Windows control panel , but it leaves files and bits and pieces scattered around that can cause issues.

I always use Revo Uninstaller to remove unwanted programs.. it does a proper job .. safe and easy to use..

Thanks Jim, I will do that, the "other machine" is currently doing the microsoft scan, so well will have to wait and see, I think it will take a while, its got a 1tb had with a 1tb backup drive.

Question: If I have to do a full format/reinstall, I will take of the DATA ONLY onto a differant/new external drive, then reformat both machine and backup drives, then reinstall O/S do updates, then progs & updates. Will the data be ok? can virus hide in data files?

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yes as per previous answers. I always use ccleaner to get rid of unwanted left overs after uninstalls.
Also go to Firefox and remove the aol tool bar. And any other tool bar like google for example, they are all a total pain and will slow you down considerably.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Yes as per previous answers. I always use ccleaner to get rid of unwanted left overs after uninstalls.
Also go to Firefox and remove the aol tool bar. And any other tool bar like google for example, they are all a total pain and will slow you down considerably.

the mircosoft scanner has been running for 3.5 hours now its about a tenth of the way across the progess bar ad nothing been found yet. Been using firefox all morning on my other machine with no problem

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
ater 12 hours of scanning it can up with nothing..

it must be something in aol surely?

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
ok heres were I am, on the main machine I unistalled the aol browser, I did a standard uninstall through windows as when I went to download the two uninstallers/cleaners above I got warnings from AVG about them and Im now paraniod.

Ive re installed a differant aol browser ver 9.7 which Im sure was the one I had printing problems with last year and was told by AOL teckies to go back to 9.6 which dosnt seem avaible to download now?
So far its been ok, but sometimes its been a few days between the redirection atacks.

Ive had contact from the spyhunter4 teckies who have suggested they do something remote to my machine from thier end, mmm no to sure on that.

I suspect they think its something in the registry

advice/thoughts (even if its put both machine in the bin and buy new)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you scan down to the section about manually removing adnxs in this link it gives some simple suggestions which would be worth trying as it looks quick. http://botcrawl.com/remove-adnxs-virus/

I wouldnt bother with 3rd party program removal tools, use the windows one. It doesn't always remove everything but what's left behind, empty folders, a bit of user data etc won't be a problem.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
I tried everything, in the end I unistalled aol browser, no more problems after 3 days, hopefully it somehow was linked into browser

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back