Bürstner hybrid CNG-powered engine (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
1623922915351.png

"Green trip - blue flame" – according to this motto, Bürstner has developed its first eco-friendly alternative with a hybrid CNG-powered engine based on its Eliseo C 543 camper van. Currently still unique, this technology could in future be an economical and eco-friendly alternative to diesel and electric engines.

Bürstner has addressed the issue of future technologies in the motorhome industry for quite some time, also when it comes to alternative fuel systems. That is why the Kehl-based company has now developed an alternative with an eco-friendly engine, the Eliseo CNG, based on its Eliseo C 543 camper van. Based on a 100 kW/134bhp Fiat Ducato "Natural Power", this Eliseo mainly runs on natural gas but is also equipped with a petrol-powered backup engine.
This alternative fuel system has a very positive impact on the vehicle's environmental footprint: It produces almost no particulate emissions, and low nitrogen oxide (NOX) and carbon emissions that are comparable to those of modern petrol or diesel fuelled vehicles. Running the vehicle on biogas even reduces the carbon emissions to zero. The Bürstner Eliseo CNG therefore meets the Euro 6d emission standards, which means that it can also be driven in inner city emission zones that are usually out of bounds to normal camper vans.
The vehicle is equipped with five natural gas tanks with an overall capacity of 22 litres/36kg that are cleverly and safely positioned underneath the floor to ensure that they do not reduce the available living space. The press launch vehicle has a reach of 400 kilometres before the engine automatically switches to petrol. The fifteen litres of petrol are intended to be used as a backup only; on the road, the engine speed is automatically limited to 90km/h. Special fuel injectors for natural gas and petrol are responsible for the fuel injection; the engine is also equipped with a turbocharger and a charge air cooler.
The vehicle runs on compressed natural gas (CNG), which is compressed to 200 bars before it is stored to save fuel tank space. Unlike liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), CNG is not refinery gas but a natural gas and just as safe as petrol or diesel.
In Germany, CNG is currently available at around 900 filling stations – only Italy has more, with around 1,250 filling stations. Throughout Germany, more than half of the CNG filling stations have switched to 100% bioCNG/biomethane (from waste); 94% of the country's CNG pumps are located at public branded service stations. Due to the low gas price and the low consumption, running a CNG vehicle also costs only around 60% of the cost of running a petrol-fuelled vehicle.
"With the Eliseo CNG, we want to provide our industry with yet more inspiration for a more environmentally-friendly future. At the moment, alternative engines for camper vans tend to be a more long-term issue. The respective demand is currently still low," says Bürstner's managing director Jens Kromer. "However, as soon as we manage to increase their reach and the refuelling infrastructure improves, the development of alternative engine types may well gain considerably more rapid dynamics over the next few years."
Whether the Eliseo CNG will be serial produced has currently not yet been decided. Either way, thanks to its full body wrap, the "Green trip – blue flame" press launch vehicle is certainly eye-catching and can mainly be admired on test drives throughout the south of Germany.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Burstner do seem to be coming out guns blazing for 2022. As a proud ex-owner (sob!) I will be standing on the side-lines cheering them on.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
No idea how much the gas costs, but that’s a seriously impressive mpg 👍

22 litres for 400 km , if my sums are right that’s over 50 mpg 😳

that would be brilliant and green 🙂👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
CNG has been and may still be, being used in a good number of HGV's. Eddie Stobart hard a depot very close to a place I worked in Reading 2000 - 2010. Manty of his trucks filled up there from a facility he had installed. Something very similar to LPG tanks and pumps.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No idea how much the gas costs, but that’s a seriously impressive mpg 👍

22 litres for 400 km , if my sums are right that’s over 50 mpg 😳

that would be brilliant and green 🙂👍
CNG is stored in the tanks around 20 times the pressure of LPG probably why no one is allowed in the vehicle while filling.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I drove one of those motors once and they had an attendant all togged up doing the refill, not self service. They said because it gets so cold on the trigger etc and risk of burns.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
If it's natural gas, I don't see the point. A load more infrastructure for a system that's still using a non-renewable source.

So it could be driven on biogas instead... but then we could also use biodiesel?

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
Valiant effort from Burstner however I would want to know how CNG is produced. Also can it be used as an alternative to LPG for all our other gas needs?
No mention of the cost. I assume it will cost a pretty premium. Still if it’s fairly eco friendly to produce and offers a good equivalent to fossil fuels then I’m sure it will have a solid market in no time.

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
I drove one of those motors once and they had an attendant all togged up doing the refill, not self service. They said because it gets so cold on the trigger etc and risk of burns.
Isn’t that the same with LPG though. Which I assume is why you connect and then retreat to a safe distance and press the button.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Isn’t that the same with LPG though. Which I assume is why you connect and then retreat to a safe distance and press the button.
I don’t know never used lpg . I only drove the truck a couple of times as it only did the same route all the time so it could be refilled, as it was not easy to find places to fill up at.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I used to worked for a company with CNG powered Foden Paccar engined tractor units about 15 years ago
We had to wear great big thick gloves that went up to your elbow before filling .
The performance at 44 tons was not that good compared to diesel

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Interesting concept but surely has to be mega expensive.

Limited to 56mph? I know what driving under limiters is like, why would I want it on my own vehicle?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back