Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Yet another thread asking for help!!!

My new motorhome came with a few issues..... which I have sorted some and are still sorting others.

Hopefully this one will be an easier one

The MH came with a 4m ormnister awing and sides. the awning itself is knackered as it had been damaged in a storm.

I was going to get another 4m ormnister but looking at the way the sides etc go on, it put me right off!! so i was thinking about a Fiamma Zip instead.

All good until I measured the drop from the bottom of the bracket rail that still on the van. Its 2.84cm from the ground. Fiamma state that their privacy room thing only goes between 2.5 - 2.8m so im 4cm too high.

After that long winded post my question is this:

Do Fiamma awnings hang lower than the bracket so I may be just ok with a zip or should I kust by a replacement Ormnister and stop moaning?!!!

Many thanks

Paul

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
honestly I know very few people that actually use sides on their omnistor or fiamma awning after experiencing them once. They are a pain in the bum to fit and pack away and are not great in bad weather. If you do need sides, I would suggest a set of lightweight lillypad leisure ones. Made of mesh material with curtains on the inside. A fraction of the hassle and can be stored in a couple of carrier bags

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
honestly I know very few people that actually use sides on their omnistor or fiamma awning after experiencing them once. They are a pain in the bum to fit and pack away and are not great in bad weather. If you do need sides, I would suggest a set of lightweight lillypad leisure ones. Made of mesh material with curtains on the inside. A fraction of the hassle and can be stored in a couple of carrier bags
We actually use ours a lot, especially when we take our youngest and the dog with us. I have somewhere then for all his equipment (wheelchair etc) quite often too, my eldest will bring a friend and they sleep in the awning with a TV and an xbox!!

When doing a tour as opposed to a week/weekend at one site then we don't bother. That's why I found the zip great as I can throw it up in 10 minutes

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
The Lillypads are ok but the washing line top rod is a waste of time, The Thule side are very excellent as long as you set them up right, We use a short section of wood fitted inside the wide out housing to stop the wind blowing the side roof bars in and tearing the awning roof.
We rarely fit the Thule front panel preferring the Lillypad from panel pegged out so you can walk into the awning.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
We have a Fiamma 'Zip' and after owning many Motorhomes with awnings, this model proved to be awful. We first used it in Spain as a sun shelter and it was unhappy being rolled back in, until it refused to go in. We visited a workshop that fitted awnings who worked hard and eventually got it in. They said it must have stretched after a storm with rainwater. Our problem returned and persisted after two further repair people came to the same conclusion. Speaking to an Omnistor dealer, he suggested cutting off the zips. As we were on the point of replacing the awning, my wife undid the stiches and I removed the two zips. When I wound it in afterwards it went straight in. So we saved several hundred pounds by removing the zips.

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
We have a Fiamma 'Zip' and after owning many Motorhomes with awnings, this model proved to be awful. We first used it in Spain as a sun shelter and it was unhappy being rolled back in, until it refused to go in. We visited a workshop that fitted awnings who worked hard and eventually got it in. They said it must have stretched after a storm with rainwater. Our problem returned and persisted after two further repair people came to the same conclusion. Speaking to an Omnistor dealer, he suggested cutting off the zips. As we were on the point of replacing the awning, my wife undid the stiches and I removed the two zips. When I wound it in afterwards it went straight in. So we saved several hundred pounds by removing the zips.
In 5 years with my last MH the Fiamma zip was no trouble at all. Which was why I was looking at another one. My only issue with the Omnister is the way the sides fit on and the poles etc. I though the zip was easier.... Having said that, all I want is an awning with sides that will stay dry when people are sleeping in it... As I already have a set of sides for a 4m ormnistor, It will likely be cheaper to just get a straight swap for the one that's currently in my garden!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Have a look at these too https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/flexi-shades-for-wind-out-awnings-hab-doors.227994/ - their end of season sale is on now.

1602187132686.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back