Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
beverley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
dethleffs eighty a class
Exp
2 years
can anybody explain about breathable ground sheets, some sites are ok with them , others are not. I would appreciate any info on the pro's and con's please

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
They are usually woven which allows air through therefore letting the grass beneath breath which is less damaging. We have one which I think is great. We bought it from our local caravan shop by the metre about 6 years ago. They do tend to get muddy but it doesn't seep through and when we're packing up we turn in over to let the mud dry then brush it off. we also hose it down to clean it occasionally. All pros from us. The only con is possibly that they can be more expensive but if you search the internet you can often get a bargain and Aldi/Lidl also usually sell them each year when the camping stuff comes in stock.

OP
OP
dodfloss

dodfloss

Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
beverley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
dethleffs eighty a class
Exp
2 years
Thanks Allan &Loren, we are looking at the Vango Galli inflatable awning, it has a built in ground sheet, not sure if it is breathable, I need to find that out. Obviously I've been to a few camp sites and seen the signs regarding ground sheets, some sites request breathable. Not really interested until now I'm. Considering buying awning. Thanks for your reply. Danny

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have the breathable carpet thing but use a rough groundsheet underneath to stop the mud, which I accept defeats the purpose:D2

We rarely have an awning up and carpet down for more than a couple of nights though.

OP
OP
dodfloss

dodfloss

Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
beverley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
dethleffs eighty a class
Exp
2 years
Hi Chris, thanks for reply. Not had an awning before so need to get as much info , don't want to buy and then find out I've made a mistake. Cheers Danny

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
OK
Here the ex-tugger in me can help

On grass most site like you to use a breathable groundsheet /carpet as it damages the grass less and is quite comfortable to walk on barefoot or to change out of footwear before getting inside the van

Note there are two types
there is the Breathable CARPET which is like an open wove blanket usually a man-made material
then there is breathable Groundsheet which is a more open material weave usually coated in plastic like a heavy netting

The carpet is a newer type of ground cover and is very good you buy it simply off a roll or precut in a bag sometime you will find the dealer may have some on offer cheaper than the off the roll

THOUGH on a gravel pitch I would recommend a tarpaulin (or two) underneath it as the gravel can damage them what you then get is a more comfortable surface on which to walk

OP
OP
dodfloss

dodfloss

Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
beverley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
dethleffs eighty a class
Exp
2 years
Thanks Madcaravaners , I'll need to find out if the sewn in groundsheet is breathable. Thanks for your help. Danny

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks Allan &Loren, we are looking at the Vango Galli inflatable awning, it has a built in ground sheet, not sure if it is breathable, I need to find that out. Obviously I've been to a few camp sites and seen the signs regarding ground sheets, some sites request breathable. Not really interested until now I'm. Considering buying awning. Thanks for your reply. Danny
I looked at the Vango drive away awnings fairly recently and thought the quality of material was excellent, probably amongst the best of the air awnings that I looked at, but the deciding factor against buying Vango, was the sewn in groundsheet.
I didn't ask the question regarding breathability, but it certainly didn't look breathable to me.
I decided on a Kampa, which has a clipped in removeable groundsheet.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I looked at the Vango drive away awnings fairly recently and thought the quality of material was excellent, probably amongst the best of the air awnings that I looked at, but the deciding factor against buying Vango, was the sewn in groundsheet.
I didn't ask the question regarding breathability, but it certainly didn't look breathable to me.
I decided on a Kampa, which has a clipped in removeable groundsheet.
Your right it is not breathable, but it is very convenient(y)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
About as convenient as leaving the Kampa floor clipped in, but without the benefit of being able to remove it on sites that don't allow them. :D
True very true, the builtin one might also be trickier to clean,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back