Free Member
Jan 7, 2010
West Felton Shropshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi all,
having yet not been away in our van I have not used the Oministar 4000 windout awning. Is the awning safe leave out overnight with some decent pegs on the coners etc, should I consider a storm strap over it aswell.

Thanks
Jase:thumb:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Hi all,
having yet not been away in our van I have not used the Oministar 4000 windout awning. Is the awning safe leave out overnight with some decent pegs on the coners etc, should I consider a storm strap over it aswell.

Thanks

Please PLEASE dont leave your awning out overnight, certainly not without a storm strap on it. Believe me, if the wind gets up in the night (ooo-err missus:ROFLMAO:) there's is a more than fair chance that your awning could be trashed before you've got your head off the pillow. IMHO, it simply isn't worth the risk for a few seconds work, especially given the ridiculous replacement cost!:thumb:
A storm strap is a VERY usefull tool, but personally, i wouldn't trust an awning out overnight, even with one fitted..

Last edited:

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Well if its anything like our Fiamma awning then be carefull. There sold as a "sun awning" quite rightly, as in even the slightest wind they have potential to do serious damage to themselves or your van. I believ you can get a tie down straps kit but cant say how effective they are.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi all,

Thanks

They are never safe in gusting wind. Geo had his ripped off at the new year meet.

Yes, use a strap.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Awning tie down kit - absolutely essential.

There are also these
http://www.mysunshade.co.uk/ (Tie down Anchor Ratchet straps) which we use to good effect.

The conventional tie down kit, where the strap is pegged at both end and goes over the awning (as in an erected awning), actually goes over the windout frame at the tops of the legs. You can get an idea from the picture here
Link Removed

I would suspect that the latter is the stronger, but I have no proof of that. But if it's that windy then in my book the awning should have been wound in ages ago. After all it takes (?) two minutes. And it's a lot cheaper than buying new.:Sad:

John

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
They are never safe in gusting wind. Geo had his ripped off at the new year meet.

Yes, use a strap.

Well thats what the mob told me happened, Ive since learned the two Brians & Bryan were practising air craft escapes from my roof sliding down the awning:RollEyes:

Seriously there was no wind or any sign of impending problems, then out of the blue a 2 second gust and it was all over, and then all was calm again except me:Doh:
I had thought about putting the storm strap on but dismissed it as it was very calm It wont go out again without straps ever ever ever:Eeek:
No damage to the RV only a sky light, awing brackets, awning arms, fabric torn:Eeek:
Nothing a few hundred quid and a days labour wont sort:cry::cry::cry:
Geo
I would recomend only screw in the ground pegs for this job ie sold as dog tie downs, the force of the wind is unbelievable

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We were at Lake Garda when a British couple pulled up late in the evening, wound out the awning and promptly went for a refreshing drink. From nowhere the wind picked up and lifted the awning onto the roof of the van totally destroying it. Myself and a couple of Germans managed to get it down before the guy returned. He had'nt bothered tying it down as he was going to the airport very early in the morning to collect his daughter. Now he was going minus the awning!
:Doh:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Awning tie down kit - absolutely essential.

There are also these
http://www.mysunshade.co.uk/ (Tie down Anchor Ratchet straps) which we use to good effect.

The conventional tie down kit, where the strap is pegged at both end and goes over the awning (as in an erected awning), actually goes over the windout frame at the tops of the legs. You can get an idea from the picture here
Link Removed

Hi John,

Cheaper here and thats without the Funsters discount:thumb:

Link Removed-

Peter

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
definately an awning storm strap...and as Jaydee said, DONT place the strap over the fabric...only over the frame and as close to the leg tops as possible.
put it over the fabric and it WILL tear !
i broke a plastic knuckle joint by overtightening a few inches inboard from the joint.

one point no-one has mentioned yet.
if you do leave the awning out, either overnight or when you're away from the van, DO NOT leave the awning level...drop one leg by 6 or 7 inches to allow water to run off the end. it wont run off the front due to the front rail.

i forgot just once...torrential downpour for 20 mins (and in spain i mean torrential) and the awning filled with around 10 to 15 gallons of water putting tremendous strain on the fabric.

Last edited:

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Would strongly suggest that unless you really believe the weather forecast you do not even go off for the day and leave an awning out, or turn in for the evening.
Many will have been extremely fortunate and got away with it but I can assure many have not.
Awning - glorified sunshade.
:Doh:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Hi John,

Cheaper here and thats without the Funsters discount:thumb:

Link Removed-

Peter

Hi Peter,
Yes, I guessed that would be the case :thumb:, but I remembered seeing the picture on World of Camping, which is what I wanted to show.

John

drs

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Ware, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I had my awning damaged by rain as I stupidly left it out which caused it to collapse. So if you must have it open when it rains always leave one side lower to allow for run off.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Don't rely on awning straps either. I once had the misfortune to have the awning blow DOWNWARDS in a strong wind, twisting the front rail.

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
I'm touching wood desperately here, but I can honestly say that in all the years we've used one, we've left it out in all weathers, and never felt concern.

I do however, us a belt and braces approach. We have a DWC Zelte awning on our Hobby, which is a German version of the italian ones, which has fitting points above each leg for storm ties. I put these out at 45 degrees to the plane of the rafter, which allows me to put tension on the awning panel, so that it is much less likely to 'baloon'. I then put a second set of guys at 90 degrees to the first set, which puts the awning panel in compression.

Boths sets use Fiamma 'guy plates', and especially long solid steel pegs.

The awning doesn't move, even in high winds, as you can see from the pic.

DSCN2527.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back