Awning repair.im a pillock.duh (1 Viewer)

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
At Chester I had my brand new Thule 6foot awning extended out overnight and it wasn’t secure enough and yes it got damaged.
It broke a piece of cast metal and ripped the awning about 5 feet.
Is there anywhere that repairs them starting in the northwest manchester area.(I will travel if I need to)
premium Motorhomes from Doncaster have given me the option of replace only this seems a bit extravagant.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A long way but Rose in Poole, Dorset are you best bet, I think they are the importers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We have all done something like that.

I reversed into a pile of bricks on my drive when I bought my brand new motorhome home after collection from the dealers.

50 miles and I broke it already :unsure:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
For a repair to the fabric of your awning Tent Valeting Service in Farnsworth near Bolton are brilliant.
If anyone has a problem with their awning, tent, trailer sheet, these people are very good.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We bought a brand new Omnistore awning from Rose Awnings in Poole, it came with a fault on the fabric, they changed that under warranty, only swapping the canvas bit, so fabric only repairs can certainly be done, my vote would be to use Rose, they seem to understand Thule Omnistore product particularly well :)

Even with other damage I would trust John Rose to say what it really needed, that said a 6m awning cost us £1200, so even a complete replacement although sad may not empty the bank completely (y)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
At Chester I had my brand new Thule 6foot awning extended out overnight and it wasn’t secure enough and yes it got damaged.
Is there anywhere that repairs them starting in the northwest manchester area.(I will travel if I need to)
premium Motorhomes from Doncaster have given me the option of replace only this seems a bit extravagant.

I don't know if these people do awnings but @haganap recommended them to me. I am going to ask them for quotes for few bits and pieces jobs.
http://www.motorhomedamprepairs.com/

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't know the circumstances that caused your awning damage so l don't know how you had it anchored soooo ............ forgive me if you know this already: storm straps are not storm straps. They are every-time-you-put-the-awning-out straps. Never rely on pegging the legs even with those plates that give a better fix. Calm days without a breath of wind are when awnings are blown over vans by the one sneaky gust - always use storm straps.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
You are not alone with this problem. The standard fit roll-out awnings fitted to most motorhomes and van's only need a small amount of wind before they start to take off and pull out the four small pegs normally supplied to keep the legs anchored. Echo the use of storm straps widely available at less than £15.00 if any chance of above light wind is expected.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Is this the 'cast metal' that you broke on the below?
http://www.thefiammacentre.co.uk/spare-parts/fiamma-spare-parts/fiamma-awning-spares.html

As for material, you can buy repair tape or alternatively get a new piece of material - Spinney did a YouTube video about how to replace the material so I assume they can get it for you.

https://www.spinney.co.uk/about/videos/fiamma-f45-repair-guide-changing-the-canopy

You could also try ringing O'Learys - when I was there last week they had some awnings in their shop so you might get lucky and find one to replace yours or they might even have the material, certainly worth giving them a ring.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If I want to use our awning for a bit of shade when there's nowhere to peg it down, I put it out (but not fully) then extend the legs (blue) more than normal and put them at roughly a 90 degree angle to the awning 'roof' placing the ends under the van so they're about 45 degrees to the body. I then put some strong straps on (yellow) which I attach to the top of the legs (on the knuckle) and then hook them under the base of the camper ... in order to ensure the legs don't mark the camper I use some old beach chair arm covers (orange) which wrap and secure with Velcro round the legs where they touch the body. The below diagram makes things a bit clearer.

Awning tying down.png

The chair arm covers I used are like the ones on this chair which just wrap round and secure with Velcro and have a bit of padding although some pipe lagging would do instead.

chair arm.png

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you are able to repair and happen to come across a bargain complete awning or canopy bear in mind the width is irrelevant. The canopy can be trimmed to any length, the arms are interchangeable, and even the casing and front rail are standard sections cut to suit.

OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Rose awnings had a look at Peterborough.
They can repair it.
So that’s a nice trip to Poole in Dorset for mid may.
Half the price of a new one that includes new straps and extra middle pole so it doesn’t get damaged again.
Thanks everybody

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back