Awning rail fitted for Kampa Rally Air Pro (1 Viewer)

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Our 390 uses a lot of pegs, but we carefully choose how much to peg depending on the wind and weather. i.e the worse the weather, the more pegging-out it'll need.

For us, the awning is used for the following:

1. Shelter from chilly wind / weather where we still wish to feel like we're outside. Works well at night, especially.
2. Shelter from rain where we still wish to feel like we're outside.
3. Protection from wasps. The last site we were on had the little s*i*s flying around looking for food, so we zipped ourselves inside when eating.
4. Handy area for drying towels / clothes without them being in Udo and cluttering him up inside.
5. Useful for us to sit inside the awning after our children have gone to bed. We can chat whilst they, supposedly, fall asleep.

That said, we only put the awning up on stays longer than a weekend.

My wife still loves tenting, which I won't do anymore, so the awning is my nod to that element although I do find it a bit of a bind, even in the short time we've owned one. But for week-long stays, ours has proved really useful to have.
Pretty much same reasons as us minus children (ours have their own) but dog thinks its his

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
Jim did you get the rail delivered or pick it up. The JC website says pick up only? We were thinking of putting an awning rail on as we get fed up of worrying about the windout awning being damaged in the wind.

You can buy awning rail from most accessory shops.
I fixed a rail onto our Euramobil (2 vans ago) for our Kampa 260 (metal poles), still got that awning in the shed, and now got the Kampa pro aire 260. The rail I got from Todds, available in 2 metre sections, not hard to line up.
The older Kampa 260 survived 2 months experiencing some of the strong winds in the Spanish winter of 2015.

Allen

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
word of warning, we bought a van with a c rail fitted, below the fiamma, presumably to take an awning. This proved to be the source of water ingress, fortunately discovered and rectified, but told not to use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
The 3 x 1.2m C sections have a larger diameter and opening than the ones on the Omnistor awnings. It makes it easier to feed in but is it a higher risk of 'pulling out' in use.

What do you guys think?

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
word of warning, we bought a van with a c rail fitted, below the fiamma, presumably to take an awning. This proved to be the source of water ingress, fortunately discovered and rectified, but told not to use.

A poorly fitted rail no doubt...

If it was rectified, why did they say not to use ?

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
When fixing the rail put a THIN line of silicone similar to the shower/bath/sink silicone the screw it to the van. Once the silicone is set it is real hard to seperate.

dodfloss

Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
beverley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
dethleffs eighty a class
Exp
2 years
Recently bought kampa air pod maxi xl, 14 minutes they said to put up, my a@@e, over an hour, plastic pegs of no use, instructions of no use, we got it fixed to the awning only after great effort, then was told to use talcum powder to make it slide more easy. I wind in awning and gaps in tunnel, didn't matter how much I try it gets no where near the van. Not impressed, Kampa could at least of put instructions on a cd and have supplied steel pegs.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
There is only one way to do this properly remove awning fix flat alloy strip 40x3mm to the back of the awning I used m3 counter sunk screws then fix your channel to that refit awning to van cut 2 or 3 slots in flat strip to allow brackets to poke through and then I sealed along the top with sikoflex so no drops down the back and no holes in your van.
IMG_0587.JPG
IMG_0588.JPG

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
That seem like a great way to do it. Another idea which may work perhaps would be to attach the rail directly to the underside of the awning cassette .

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have Thule omnistar awning, it already has the 6 mm rail attached to it.

yes, they all have a 6mm C channel along the front section.. read the first post for the full story,

it explains the reasons why I attached the rail to the van and not along the bottom of the box, which I considered, or hanging down from behind the box.

I certainly didn't say it was the only way, the best way, or the "only way to do it properly" , but it was the only way that would satisfy all three problems that I listed.

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
i have probs geting mine in fixed rail ie grandson has to get on roof to feed into rail why i pull slowly to glide along rail, plus two women holding up to take the weight .a pain you will agree was thinking why not have a curved rail like we had on are old caravan that you feed from ground level is there such a thing??at the moment i have to take two ladders with us one to get on roof and steps for me to pull along

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back