Awelon

Free Member
Jul 26, 2020
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano
Exp
Second motor home since 2016 (with a gap!)
We have a Burstner Solano motor home, and due to travelling with an elderly mother and 2 labradors we are looking at an awning. We did have a Vango air awning with our last motor home which was early days for the air awnings and we were not over impressed! Looking at something around 3-360 in size, have toyed with the idea of a porch set up (with a skirt), doesn't have to be an air awning, so far we have liked the Kampa range, and also the Sunncamp although I have not managed to ascertain if the Sunncamp do a tall version which I am assuming we would need for the motor home? I have looked back at previous comments, but obviously designs and styles change so would appreciate members experiences and comments.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Have a look at Outdoor Revolution. We has an air awning but I doubt we would buy another.
We bought a secondhand OR with bendy poles and when it falls to bits we will buy another.

Upvote 0

JnJ

Mar 15, 2019
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
We have a tall sunncamp 360, very happy with it.

Rigside Sept 2020.jpg
Rigside Sept 2020.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Awelon

Free Member
Jul 26, 2020
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano
Exp
All the 360's I have seen appear to be for caravans, what specification do I need to look for? I'm assuming the 250 height is not enough for a motor home?

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
You need a drive away. The height will depend on the height of you rail to the ground. Caravan awnings donā€™t have the drive away tunnel. You probably knew that though!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Awelon

Free Member
Jul 26, 2020
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano
Exp
Ok, I'm possibly having a senior moment or just being thick!!!! We don't need (or particularly want) a drive away, so are we able to use an ordinary caravan awning? and if so is it just a case of the strap system (or similar) to attach it to the motor home.... apologies in advance if I am being super stupid here!!!!

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Drive always have a strap system as well as a kador strip. With a caravan awning you need an awning strip, usually on the wind out awning.

Upvote 0

JnJ

Mar 15, 2019
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
All the 360's I have seen appear to be for caravans, what specification do I need to look for? I'm assuming the 250 height is not enough for a motor home?
Sorry, you are right, just been out to check, we have the Sunncamp Deluxe 325. We also have the Sunncamp canopy which is the tall version. We don't have a wind out awning but have awning rail attached, we had to extend this as the bead on 325 awning size needs about 360 of rail.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Awelon

Free Member
Jul 26, 2020
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano
Exp
Sorry, you are right, just been out to check, we have the Sunncamp Deluxe 325. We also have the Sunncamp canopy which is the tall version. We don't have a wind out awning but have awning rail attached, we had to extend this as the bead on 325 awning size needs about 360 of rail.
Thank you, I am totally confused as to what we should go for, all the ones that seem to fit the bill appear to be for caravans! I can't measure our motor home as its 'stuck' due to Covid at the place we bought it from having some work done! Really didn't want a drive away one as we were not happy with the one we had previously, I think more work is required to see what will fit the bill for us!

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Depends if you ever want to take the van away from site to go off somewhere. If so, you need a driveaway one. Donā€™t let one bad experience put you off.
The advantage to a caravan one if you have an awning rail on the van or on the rollout awning is that they fit closer to the van.
We are really pleased with Outdoor Revolution. Maybe a trip to a Moho dealer when you can?

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We have a vango at the moment. however
When we had the escape 686 we had a sunncamp 360 porch awning (which I much preferred but was no good for our next van an as it had no skirt wasn't suitable for the grandchildren and me, to sleep in. It was a little short but we worked round it. it slotted into the front of the canopy awning.
Think you said you don't have a canopy, in which case a d rail could be fitted hopefully at the correct height. be careful with fitting though, our last van had had one fitted, screwed onto the side :oops: suffered water ingress which was fixed under warranty.

Upvote 0

JnJ

Mar 15, 2019
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
We had a vango Idris II airbeam previously, it was a lovely awning, but we found it was a bit of a faff with the Kador strip. We rally a lot, and don't tend to drive off pitch that often so we went for the Sunncamp which is light and quick to put up, also, the weight of it plus the small canopy version we have are less than the Vango.
The position of the garage doors restricted us to the 325, the awning bead has an extended wing of about 25cm each side to accommodate the optional door canopy. However, it is easily big enough to accomodate dining table etc. You do need to bear in mind as mentioned above there is no means to fix a draught skirt along bottom of van.

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Awelon

Free Member
Jul 26, 2020
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano
Exp
Thank you all for your comments and advice, I am waiting to hear back from the dealer what the measurements are to the wind out awning but providing it will fit we are looking at this https://www.leisureoutlet.com/awnin...mpactalite-pro-integra-375-hex-caravan-awning our friends managed to get a draft skirt for their motor home which had limpit stickers to hold it in place so providing this fits it looks like the way to go for us. Not sure what the general height is to a motorhome awning rail but this fits up to 250 Any comments and advice still welcome, thanks again, Dee

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back