Free Member
Sep 21, 2009
Southwest Scotland
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I have decided to put an awning on my swift royale 610 and have more or less opted for a fiamma make as I have many other fiamma items and they have served me well.
My questions are as follows: The joint/seam joining the roof to the side panel just above the side door has at one time opened up and been repaired. Will the fitting of an awning put any extra strain on this repair ??
Also what would be the best length to go for ?? I was thinking of around 4m but will bow to higher intelligence on the subject.
Thanks in advance . HF

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i cant see the awning having any real effect on the repair as the plywood sheet behind the outer skin will still be intact and goes beyond the wall/roof panel joint.

if you plan on fitting it yourself be aware its not a one man job....ideally two to hold it in place and a third person to do up the fixings indoors.

carefully plan and measure where it will go before drilling the sidewall...the last thing you want is a fixing plate where there isnt a cupboard/wardrobe to hide it in or, worse still, into the end of a cupboard wall :Doh:

length....i'd go for the longest that will fit flat to the side of the van...no major gaps or water will run down between the awning and van wall.

most importantly.....dont overtighten the fixings or you will crush the sidewall, its only thin plywood inside and out (under the outer skin) and a foam core. just tight enough to be firm and secure.

OP
OP
H

huntersforge

Free Member
Sep 21, 2009
Southwest Scotland
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Pappajohn . Thanks for the advice . I will make sure and enlist the help of my bro,s when it comes fitting time :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
4 metres are expensive to ship, go for a 3.5m it is cheaper as well, if you need any advice on fitting have a chat to Glen my service manager or Ian

Peter

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

most importantly.....dont overtighten the fixings or you will crush the sidewall, its only thin plywood inside and out (under the outer skin) and a foam core. just tight enough to be firm and secure.

if you do fit yourself i recommend getting some of the micro-bore gas pipe , choose a size that the fixing bolts go threw and same size drill for the outside diameter , mark and drill holes in body panel then insert gas pipe so its flush on one side then mark where its flush on the other cut and you now have a sleeve you can insert in the hole with your mastic and this stops the wall been crushed when tightening up the fixings:thumb:

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Why not get to a show (Lincoln this weekend) and get the fitting free:thumb:

OP
OP
H

huntersforge

Free Member
Sep 21, 2009
Southwest Scotland
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
if you do fit yourself i recommend getting some of the micro-bore gas pipe , choose a size that the fixing bolts go threw and same size drill for the outside diameter , mark and drill holes in body panel then insert gas pipe so its flush on one side then mark where its flush on the other cut and you now have a sleeve you can insert in the hole with your mastic and this stops the wall been crushed when tightening up the fixings:thumb:

Now thats wise advice . I like it !!:thumb:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I fitted an omnistore awning on to my old Mercedes it is fitted by plates that are fixed through the wall with a plate on the inside at each mounting point
so it should not put extra stress on the repair it will force the outer and inner panels together (four mounting points on the 4M long Omnistore )

hope this helps

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Is it only me that was brave enough to simply stick (sikaflex) and self tap the fixings to the outer wall ::bigsmile: Never moved or leaked after 10,000 miles and as far as I know is still on the van :winky:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back