Awning lighting, what do you use? (1 Viewer)

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
I bought a new Kampa Rally Pro air 390L awning and also bought a tall annex for it, don’t know if I will ever use it but it’s there if I need it.

I was looking at lighting and saw the Sabre lighting system that fits in to ready made connectors in the awning, they sell a starter 150 kit with remote and power lead so I bought one of them, you can also add 2 extra add on kits but didn’t know if I needed that. I opened them yesterday and plugged them in but they are that very white white that show up teenagers spots, I prefer a warmer light, anyway I have them now but wondered if the starter kit is enough or whether I need another 2 add on kits, the remote lets you put them on and off and dim them.

Kampa Sabre 150 LED Camping Light (Starter Kit) Amazon product ASIN B01BLJ7IP8
Kampa Sabre 150 LED Camping Light Amazon product ASIN B01BLJ7IOY

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Once I’ve sorted things out, I have a lot of things to advertise, as due to health reasons we have given up our Motorhome.
I will have some Sabre Lighting for sale so if your not in a rush I will let you know when it is in the Classified

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Once I’ve sorted things out, I have a lot of things to advertise, as due to health reasons we have given up our Motorhome.
I will have some Sabre Lighting for sale so if your not in a rush I will let you know when it is in the Classified
Is that the add on or starter kit with controller? I would only really need a couple of add on ones but until I get to France in July and put the awning up I wouldn’t know. I don’t know what area you live in but if close I could buy the add on ones from you I guess if you have them, then if I don’t need them give them to someone who does ?

My question on here was do I need them, was hoping someone with a similar size awning could advise.

Thanks for the kind offer ?

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Like everything. You will not know how it is until you use it in the awning. You could go out and buy two, three,or four more lights connect it up and find one would have done. So again as many have said get out and use everything over the time available until you set off to S of F then you will know the answers ready for the trip.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Awning light.

Yorkshire Puds

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2020 Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2002
I’ve got one of these, but the older version which isn’t remote controlled.

Its had some proper abuse over the years, and still going strong.

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Like everything. You will not know how it is until you use it in the awning. You could go out and buy two, three,or four more lights connect it up and find one would have done. So again as many have said get out and use everything over the time available until you set off to S of F then you will know the answers ready for the trip.
Thanks, the awning is brand new and still in the box, I didn't really want to get it out or it will be rain to put back in, just wondered if someone with a 390 awning had any of these lights, I must say the single 150 seems very bright!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I bought a new Kampa Rally Pro air 390L awning and also bought a tall annex for it, don’t know if I will ever use it but it’s there if I need it.

I was looking at lighting and saw the Sabre lighting system that fits in to ready made connectors in the awning, they sell a starter 150 kit with remote and power lead so I bought one of them, you can also add 2 extra add on kits but didn’t know if I needed that. I opened them yesterday and plugged them in but they are that very white white that show up teenagers spots, I prefer a warmer light, anyway I have them now but wondered if the starter kit is enough or whether I need another 2 add on kits, the remote lets you put them on and off and dim them.

I use a 5 mtr led 400 Kelvin strip, connected to the old awning light bulb connectors, difference being, am am not a fan of Amazon for such stuff.
It is made in China, the price quadrupled. and sold on..
I tend to use Banggood.com or just eBay.. what you get is exactly the same but at a good price.. In my case I paid £6.90 for a 5 mtr roll

It sounds like you have LED's that are 6000 Kelvin, a blue white
The ones I think you are after are 4000 Kelvin which are indeed a warmer white

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

We have crystal chandaleers in our awning,,they reflect beautifully in our bevel edge mirrors.BUSBY?

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
We have crystal chandaleers in our awning,,they reflect beautifully in our bevel edge mirrors.BUSBY?
We don’t have crystal but this is our Coleman 5m shelter, the glass is hand blown not crystal but does the job, haven’t seen any other awnings with this particular light in, it has a kind of nautical theme with the rope entwined with fairy lights ?

We are there for 6 weeks so like it to be home from home.

Attachments

• 6DE5CB81-3465-47D4-9EB0-07348EF01B72.png
    6DE5CB81-3465-47D4-9EB0-07348EF01B72.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We find the 3Kw electric halogen heater gives off a lovely orange glow, we can still see it inside in the middle of the night casting orange streaks beside the blinds don’t need to use lights in MH at all overnight ?

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Is that the add on or starter kit with controller? I would only really need a couple of add on ones but until I get to France in July and put the awning up I wouldn’t know. I don’t know what area you live in but if close I could buy the add on ones from you I guess if you have them, then if I don’t need them give them to someone who does ?

My question on here was do I need them, was hoping someone with a similar size awning could advise.

Thanks for the kind offer ?
It’s the starter kit, controller and 3 lights, which is more than enough for the 390. We live in Suffolk

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
We don’t have crystal but this is our Coleman 5m shelter, the glass is hand blown not crystal but does the job, haven’t seen any other awnings with this particular light in, it has a kind of nautical theme with the rope entwined with fairy lights ?

We are there for 6 weeks so like it to be home from home.
Where do you go in the south of France as I seem to recall that.....

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We have crystal chandaleers in our awning,,they reflect beautifully in our bevel edge mirrors.BUSBY
I think you're joking but some friends of ours (tuggers) had two. And a domestic carpet over a groundsheet. A dining table with cloth fully set with cutlery completed the picture. They were however from Cheshire so they had an excuse. ?

Aug 16, 2018
West Wiltshire
Funster No
Exp
Long time
Summer in France you won't need lights.
Winter time you don't need awning as you will spend more time trying to keep it on the ground.
Just enjoy the natural light and don't use up pay load with things you may use.
But then you updated van so may as well use it.

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
I think you're joking but some friends of ours (tuggers) had two. And a domestic carpet over a groundsheet. A dining table with cloth fully set with cutlery completed the picture. They were however from Cheshire so they had an excuse. ?
Who says camping has to be torture, I’m there 6 weeks and we have all the creature comforts, why not, if you pay for a large pitch use it ?. You won’t get me weighing a toilet roll either, I have 422kg payload spare now over what I need so that makes packing relaxing, and more comfortable the other end ?

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Half a dozen, 150w light bulbs give out a reasonable light. And, before anyone says you can’t get them anymore has not seen my storeroom. I am after all, the son of Ted the Vest. :gum:

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Thanks, the awning is brand new and still in the box, I didn't really want to get it out or it will be rain to put back in, just wondered if someone with a 390 awning had any of these lights, I must say the single 150 seems very bright!

I have the 390. I have two tubes with the remote control. I use mine in Spain during the Winter when the evenings draw in around 6pm when I have need of the lights. In your case you will be in S of F in the height of Summer. As you know it does not get dark till late. Two tubes would in my opinion be ample. Even if after your 2020 trip you felt you needed more you could always buy one for 2021 or as I have done in Spain go onto Amazon( Spain) and get what you need to be delivered. In your case in France. Now days there is no need to panic and buy things ahead

Reactions: 596

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I cannot believe you are again buying something ( the awning) that you are going to need when you get to the S of F. Without testing it. You can bet that the first time you take it out if the box something is missing or broken. Have you ever put up an air awning. It took us a few goes to get the best method of attaching it to the van without damaging the van. Just drive somewhere on a nice dry day and practice. It cannot be put up on your own and needs a bit or pushing and pulling. Working out the best technical approach on a cool UK day beers a first time in a 30* French day will be a lot more comfortable

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
I cannot believe you are again buying something ( the awning) that you are going to need when you get to the S of F. Without testing it. You can bet that the first time you take it out if the box something is missing or broken. Have you ever put up an air awning. It took us a few goes to get the best method of attaching it to the van without damaging the van. Just drive somewhere on a nice dry day and practice. It cannot be put up on your own and needs a bit or pushing and pulling. Working out the best technical approach on a cool UK day beers a first time in a 30* French day will be a lot more comfortable
Thanks, I’ve used one for 5yrs and use a Bravo II pump with the digital display, putting them up is a piece of cake, I can get mine up in 15 min max including all the pegs, I use an impact driver and screw pegs, I can take it down and pack it in about 10 mins, the packing is the thing that takes the time ?

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
Since 2008, with a gap between 2013 and 2018.
What, no awning light on your super duper new moho?

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
I
What, no awning light on your super duper new moho?
Its not super duper it’s a Swift aka a Ford, what’s up with people, I can understand if I bought a Concorde or other posh brand but I have bought a cheapy motorhome to do a simple job, just go to France and back once a year.

And yes it does have a very flash awning light that comes on together with interior led lights when you press the remote unlocking, I understand this is standard on all Swift vans, but it isn’t going to light the whole of the big awning.

Oh! And I can turn on the awning light from anywhere in the world like every other new Swift motorhome ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back