LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
This is the awning light unit on our AT Savannah and a number of the diodes are failing \ have failed.

1585923813788.png

Having had a close look at it and searched through the threads on here I'm still struggling to see how it comes off the side of the motorhome.:wondering::think:
Anybody replaced one of them or any idea how it does come off?
TIA.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
It looks like you have to tease the two end caps off to revel a screw at each end.
I would imagine that AT have fixed back the light using a non setting mastic to stop water ingress where the wiring goes through. If this the case the warm the light unit up with a hair dryer at soften the mastic.
Here's a photo of the back of the light unit i found that should give you a clue to the way the end caps fix on.

1585926753830.png

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Brilliant Paul
From my interpretation of the "new" unit it looks like the end caps may slide off :)whistle2:) from the ends of the frame. Will have a wee look see later.
Many thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Two on Tour
Still waiting on the weather improving to have a look see but have sourced a supplier for a replacement unit in the interim.
Assuming it's on with non-setting mastic I'll be cleaning this off and would need to replace. What's your thoughts on a suitable mastic?
TIA

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Assuming it's on with non-setting mastic I'll be cleaning this off and would need to replace. What's your thoughts on a suitable mastic?
I always keep a box of W4 Mastic Tape handy for jobs like that, and have used it with good success. (y) It comes in varying widths, and usually in grey or white.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I have to say Gellyneck, having taken the advice of a caravan repair workshop to use the IDL 99, on a particular resealing job, it was unsuccessful, whereas the W4 tape was extremely successful.

The other advantage of the tape, is that it doesn't appear to go off over time, and you can cut and trim to shape before applying, ie, if what's left over is too wide for a another wee job, just cut to the width required. (y)

Good luck.

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I have to say Gellyneck, having taken the advice of a caravan repair workshop to use the IDL 99, on a particular resealing job, it was unsuccessful, whereas the W4 tape was extremely successful.

The other advantage of the tape, is that it doesn't appear to go off over time, and you can cut and trim to shape before applying, ie, if what's left over is too wide for a another wee job, just cut to the width required. (y)

Good luck.

What's that saying about great minds?:notworthy2: The very thoughts I was having.:Smile:
One question, if I may. What's the thickness of the tape and do you "squash it down" under the job? Okay, okay, that's two questions!:doh:

Jeez, just realised what an insult, comparing our minds! SORRY!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Jeez, just realised what an insult, comparing our minds! SORRY!
Aye, and so you should be. :LOL:

TBH, I can't remember if it comes in different thicknesses, but it easily beds in and settles. You might need to re tighten any attaching screws or fixtures after a few weeks, especially on roof lights.
If not thick enough, double up on the layer. ;)

Cheers,

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If not thick enough,
Obviously, I'll pass that criteria no problems! (cheeky bu**er):p
Cauld and dreech here, AGAIN, this morning so postponed :)party2:) until mañana.:Smile:
By the way things are going there's gonna be plenty of time left to complete the list.:crying:

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Two on Tour
Hi Paul

Update \ feedback on replacement of our awning light. Also, a quick guide for anyone else who may need to replace.

As a result of your previous post on a replacement unit I ordered this online.

Given the recent excellent weather, obviously, we've been touring all over the place so only got around to fitting the new unit today. Aye right!!!!!:whistle2::wink::RollEyes:
The supplier sent the wrong unit (the longer version!) initially and correct replacement arrived today.

As it turned out the job was a fair bit easier than first envisaged.
The area circled in the picture below shows how the end caps attach to the body.

1588262807452.png

You slide a thin flat rod into the channel and (hopefully!) this depresses the round pin next to the fixing screw holes.
The end caps then slide off outwards from the main body.
Unfortunately, because the plastic was fairly brittle these pins broke off.:doh:
In our case you only needed to remove the right-hand end cap. Obviously, I removed the left-hand one first!:doh:
Once the end cap was off I cut the feed wires which are routed through a sealed hole through the side of the motorhome, stripped the ends and soldered these to the wires shown in the photo.
As the led light strip slides out the end of a channel in the light body I just removed the faulty one and slid the new one into the original light body! No need to try and remove the light body from the motorhome wall.(y)
You then just slip the end caps (new) back on and you're done!

Only minor downside of this is that the original light body had yellowed very slightly but don't really see the shade variance. The new caps will, of course, yellow over time. The body is aluminium with the caps being rigid plastic.

Before -
1588263850012.png

After -
1588263886075.png

Many thanks for your pointing in the right direction for the correct unit.(y):notworthy2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back