Awning Light Flickering (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Arrived on site today. MH had not been used for a while. Switched the awning light on this evening and noticed it was flickering. I think it's a line of LED's. Everything except the light is working well. Any suggestions as to the cause of the problem?

NicM

Free Member
Oct 6, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Old Hymer
Exp
Maybe bad connection or you need a new light! Is it constant flickering or random?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Probably a loose or dirty contact. Not broken or it wouldn’t work at all. try switching it on and off a few times quickly to see if it’s a bad contact in the switch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Most modern vans have a fitting with a row of LEDs and those can't be changed individually. You can rewire them though and use a stick on string of LEDs

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
You seem to have started a thread I wanted to think about too.... My entry light is the only one I have issue with. It can take a few seconds to come on sometimes and also may flicker on and off from time to time. I was worried about dodgy wiring but as its also LED it might just be wanting replacing. Guess as it is the one that comes on with the key unlock every time it's the most used on in the van and up to 12 years old now if its original.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The light in our MH garage did the same, it just needed the contacts cleaning.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Arrived on site today. MH had not been used for a while. Switched the awning light on this evening and noticed it was flickering. I think it's a line of LED's. Everything except the light is working well. Any suggestions as to the cause of the problem?
Yeah it's a line of LEDs mine failed after a couple of month so the dealer sent me a new one (I am going to repair the old one when I get the chance) easy to remove.

IMG_20211108_095956.jpg

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Ours started flickering and over a couple of years started to "lose" individual leds.
Sourced a new full matching light unit but when I came to replace just swapped over the led strip within the light. Some dampness had got into the light unit and corroded some of the connections. Obviously, now resealed properly.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Lots of LEDs will flicker when they are starting to fail. LEDs should last for a very long time. However, many of them are using 12v circuits designed for domestic use that expect a solid 12v from a power supply. They aren't ready to accept the 14v that a motorhome's electrics will get when on charge and it quickly kills them.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
One of our strips started flickering in threes, it's the resistors in them I think. Swapped the lot for colour ones with a remote 🔴🟢🔵 🤩

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for all the comments and advice good people. The light has now stopped flickering and is generally behaving. When we get back to base I will have the cover of and check it out. Ditcha that is exactly our unit. Do you have a part number to aid my search?

Now a different comment. Normally when a reply is posted to a thread I am following, started or posted on I get an email to tell me. This is now happening only some of the time. For example I started this thread and initially received emails but then they just stopped. Is there an explanation for this?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Thanks for all the comments and advice good people. The light has now stopped flickering and is generally behaving. When we get back to base I will have the cover of and check it out. Ditcha that is exactly our unit. Do you have a part number to aid my search?

Now a different comment. Normally when a reply is posted to a thread I am following, started or posted on I get an email to tell me. This is now happening only some of the time. For example I started this thread and initially received emails but then they just stopped. Is there an explanation for this?
I replaced several of our bulbs with the same LEDs all at the same time. But only the bulb in the toilet flickered and popped. It wasn't until the 3rd blub that I realised it wasn't moisture that was causing the issue. It was the only light I regularly used while it was bright outside (no windows in our toilet). The high voltage the solar panel was frying the LEDs.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010

This is the label that was attached to the wrapping the new light came in .

IMG_20211112_174550.jpg

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks, I have tried those numbers but sadly no joy. Which dealer do you use?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Just bought some cob LED strip to have a look at. 300 tiny LED chips per metre so it just looks like a long line. £10 for 3 metres. Uses about 9w/metre 👍

The existing ones under the kitchen cabinet are over 20w/metre and get hot 👎

Still plenty bright enough:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back