Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi

I have a factory fitted Thule wind out awning on my swift MH and supplied with it are a set of clips for fastening the legs to the body of the motorhome.
This model Swift has the GRP side panels this year and I wonder if I should drill the body and fit these clips so they can be used with the awning partially deployed (like to keep rain off the door area).
I consider myself to be a fairly competent engineer and could easily do this without compromising the integrity of the side panel. I would consider using a small spreader plate outside and a similar pate on the inside to beef it up and help with sealing.
The Swift handbook says it is not recommended but does not say why. so why supply the parts?
Anyone know of or experience problems with this approach?

Thanks

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I fitted mine to a Burstner we had a few years ago, I put them on a bit of sealant and used short self tappers which did not go through the inner skin. This worked fine as the load is pushing onto the van.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I have the same spare bits.... And often pondered.... However, if it's raining and I only want a "shelter"... 3' and legs vertical works....

The only issue would be .... Say on Tarmac etc or where ground is too hard to peg.... But as yet I've not faced that issue....

So... I've resisted ... On the same pretence as you... I.e... Manuf not recommendo!...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
It's also very useful with dogs, they don't wrap their leads around the legs and bend them. (How do I know?)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I use these all the time. Mine are Fiamma and they come with a plastic plate that goes on the inside wall so you do need access on the inside. Both mine line up with outside lockers so fitting them is a cinch.

bracket.jpg

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I am doing EXACTLY that same thing tomorrow, I will glue it with remnants of my sikoseal and use the self tappers to hold them whilst it goes off, leave them in of course afterwards, belt and braces, I think the screws would be OK, but well I have some SS left over from other thing and it is going to set in the tube anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I fitted mine to a Burstner we had a few years ago, I put them on a bit of sealant and used short self tappers which did not go through the inner skin. This worked fine as the load is pushing onto the van.
Your van like Hymer,s has a closed cell foam core so no problems, don.t know whats in a Swift if it's polystyrene I wouldn't risk it.

OP
OP
Dare_Devil_Dennis

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Mine has a solid foam laminated to the grp outer skin and the inner wall. I like the comments about the dog leads. never thought of that. Don't know why - had enough of that with caravan sun canopies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back