Awning Led Light Wiring Up To Van (1 Viewer)

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
While I was away a few weeks ago I temporarily stuck some tape LED light strips to the underside of my awning box as per the Thule website where they sell the LED kits but I just bought a couple of reels from eBay. With the heat (was in Croatia) been around 36 I spent most of the time with a broom handle pushing them back on as he heat was just melting the 3M backing but as it was just a temporary measure I wasn't that bothered. I passed the wire through the top vent of my fridge to power them.

I'm back home now and purchased some aluminium channel to do a 'proper' job but just wondering how other people have got power to them. I know @Techno100 has power to his awning motor so just wondered. I could drill through the awning box and van but worried how to seal the hole as rain could run between the van and back of awning box. Did you remove the awning to drill the van?

Or how has other people managed to get power to awning lights on a permanent basis?

Cheers David

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I hate extra holes so I'd drill one of the awning bolts - +12v wire through hollow bolt & earth via the bolt itself. Or use the awning light for a feed.

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I'm with you on not liking any extra holes in the MH. I like your suggestion of drilling through a bolt!! That's a very good idea! Never thought of that solution. I'll have a look at the size of the bolts to look at drilling one.

Thanks David

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Mine also run on power from the awning light, cable exits the light fitting through a cable gland and a miniature waterproof switch on the bottom of the fitting. Awning lights were also changed to LEDs so no chance of overloading the circuit

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back