Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Yeah I carry a step ladder in the rear locker have every time I use my awning I have to tie it back on with 5 cable ties on each leg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You not seen the Velcro securing straps Linda sells, only one on each leg at reachable height
Geo
I feel comission coming on

F

fordy

Deleted User
Looks good to me and you just use your awning wand to put it on or off i may well get one can you get them linda ????

FORDY::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Because it got trashed when we were in Henley on Thames by a mini tornado and I'm waiting for the bits to come from Linda. It took me ages to get it back up so I'm not taking any chances don't want it in the middle of the road.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Those Mini Tornadoes look for RV awning I think.::bigsmile: Someone Told me Olley lost one in the same way.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Some may recall my experience with an awning on the M6 :Eeek:

Link Removed

Tying the legs together will not stop the fabric from unfurling if you are hit by a strong side gust.. :cry:

F

fordy

Deleted User
Some may recall my experience with an awning on the M6 :Eeek:

Link Removed

Tying the legs together will not stop the fabric from unfurling if you are hit by a strong side gust.. :cry:

I take it this thing if fitted would have worked to stop it unrolling jim ?

FORDY:Smile:

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
Found this looks like a good solid bit of kit anybody come across it?

Link Removed

Well this happened to me today thanks to high winds my awning unfurled its self 4 miles away from the garage I was going to, thanks to my 82 year old mate hanging out of the diner window to try and hold it down im sure it would have been ripped off by a lorry....scary.
Anyway, where can I get one of these in the UK, any ideas, looked on ebay and stateside tuning and googled it but no luck and this statement on the website suggested here put me off having one shipped from the USA

"International shipments are not trackable. Brokerage fees, import tariffs, customs duties, customs clearance fees and value added taxes, as well as other local taxes, may apply to international orders and are assessed by customs authorities at the time of delivery. CampingWorld.com does not calculate these fees at the time of order, and they are the sole responsibility of the purchaser. "

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
Went to wind it back in today and it wouldnt, the seller seems to think its the spring inside thats gone ?? he said he may have one but its a pain repairing so I suppose I'll manually wind it in till I can afford to take it to the proffesionals. So I presume this is why it unfurled ??

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Went to wind it back in today and it wouldnt, the seller seems to think its the spring inside thats gone ?? he said he may have one but its a pain repairing so I suppose I'll manually wind it in till I can afford to take it to the proffesionals. So I presume this is why it unfurled ??

Hi

Not necessarily, mine unfurled and there was nothing wrong with the springs. Yours may only need re tensioning .. It's a pig of a job but doable if you follow the Dometic instructions.. I replaced the fabric and re tensioned after the M6 escapade :Doh:

Link Removed

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Having suffered the same fate last year I had to get linda from stateside ship me in a replacement spring and ratchet asembly
there for had time to studdy the workings and the root cause of the problem
I can say without fear of contradiction the the initial cause is failure of the very poorly designed ratchet its self (Or failure to set correctly) followed by weak spring tension
it is the ratchet lock alone that stops the fabric unfurling the spring tension even if set very stiff can be over come by wind blowing through the awning
Geo

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I can say without fear of contradiction the the initial cause is failure of the very poorly designed ratchet its self (Or failure to set correctly) followed by weak spring tension
it is the ratchet lock alone that stops the fabric unfurling the spring tension even if set very stiff can be over come by wind blowing through the awning
Geo

Totally agree, the ratchet is a crap design .. even set correctly and not worn it is not sufficient to prevent a strong side gust unfurling ..

A strap around the awning (as posted by Ror) or a home made clip to lock the roller onto the arm is advised.. I think it was Zazkar who made them and posted a pic.. but as usual I can't find the post :Doh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I'm off to the states next week and am going to have a look in a few rv stores and see if I can find any of these as I've only ever seen the one I originally posted on here. If I find them I'll put a post up letting you know what I think of it and if I think it's any good I may well buy one to bring home. :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Dont you mean put up a post giving a review and taking orders:RollEyes: Got to pay for the trip some how seeing as the only reason your going is to fact find:thumb:

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Damn!!!!!! you sussed me out again George :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I'll be taking orders at Newbury as we'll have 2 empty cases coming back.

That's a laugh can you imagine Jan not buying anything :whatthe::whatthe: last year she bought so much we had to go back in November just to get the second load.:Doh:

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
Hi

Not necessarily, mine unfurled and there was nothing wrong with the springs. Yours may only need re tensioning .. It's a pig of a job but doable if you follow the Dometic instructions.. I replaced the fabric and re tensioned after the M6 escapade :Doh:

Link Removed

I dont think I could get me head around that, looks like a job for a pro, anyone know of some where in lancashire to take it to be sorted ?

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I dont think I could get me head around that, looks like a job for a pro, anyone know of some where in lancashire to take it to be sorted ?

No chance. Your best bet would be to take it to Dave Evans in Cannock. 07968 429111.

And for the record, Stateside's website only shows a token gesture of what is available.

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Anyone looking for Awning Clamp as in the original post should speak to Duncan at Star Spangled Spanner RV Spares, Accessories, Parts and Servicing - Star Spangled Spanner he had some at Newark on the weekend although Funsters were snapping them up.

All I've got to do now is summon up enough nerve to drill the holes in the RV :Eeek: I am the original DIY disaster area I make Mr Bean look like a DIY pro.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back