Awning advice (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544 classic
Exp
Newbies
Hi everyone 😁 we've now tested the canopy on our old hymer and it works 🤗 we have you tubed etc and are now wondering which is best way to go 're purchasing sides for it or buy separate new awning. It's a fiamma f50 zip. The zip goes the correct way we think I.e. from the outside towards the van. All views and suggestions welcome we haven't got much brass 🤣 so cheapest way if poss. Cheers all

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Before going and getting an 'enclosure' of some sort (either using the existing awning with sides or a separate attached one) decide when you'll really use it ... if you're gonna stay in the same place for a while then it might be worth having something but if you are intending to be more nomadic and stop for just an odd night or two then you're less likely to use either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Before going and getting an 'enclosure' of some sort (either using the existing awning with sides or a separate attached one) decide when you'll really use it ... if you're gonna stay in the same place for a while then it might be worth having something but if you are intending to be more nomadic and stop for just an odd night or two then you're less likely to use either.
Excellent advice.
We have a small drive away awning and rarely put it up unless staying for 3 days or more. They are a bit of a pain and if the end of your trip is wet, you have to dry it before storing it.
If we can get away without using it, we do. Everyone I hear that had brought the Fiamma privacy room has never used it or sold it because they are so damn awkward and heavy.

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
Can I add a question to this thread? Two actually.
1. are awnings designed to always be opened fully?
2. If not, can they be opened just a metre or so to form a porch area - without putting down the legs?

Tips?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Can I add a question to this thread? Two actually.
1. are awnings designed to always be opened fully?
2. If not, can they be opened just a metre or so to form a porch area - without putting down the legs?

Tips?
They can be opened a little but you do have to be a bit careful as you don't want to put undue strain on the mounting brackets, casing etc as they can be quite heavy - 80 cm might be okay but a metre might be pushing it a bit - they are generally only 2.5 metres when fully opened and are not really meant to be 'suspended' like that other than for when you're putting the legs down. If you really want to do this it might be an idea to fit leg supports to the side of your MH so you know there won't be any issues and avoid the need to peg the legs down. We use ours as a small porch sometimes if it's drizzling and we want to have the door open but not if there's a breeze and no more than sufficient to keep the rain out.

OP
OP
Scoffsontour
Feb 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544 classic
Exp
Newbies
Hi - have a look here for some DIY ideas https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/sun-blocker-idea.214418/#post-3742535 or maybe consider the options on here https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/awning-alternative.224622/ . Worth checking the Fun Classified ads in case there are any secondhand bargains. If you search on awning on this forum there are stacks of posts & feedback (y) but sure others will be along to comment on here shortly too.
Thank you very much appreciated 👍🏻

OP
OP
Scoffsontour
Feb 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544 classic
Exp
Newbies
I think we might wait for a while everything considered. Thanks for advice 😁

OP
OP
Scoffsontour
Feb 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544 classic
Exp
Newbies
Excellent advice.
We have a small drive away awning and rarely put it up unless staying for 3 days or more. They are a bit of a pain and if the end of your trip is wet, you have to dry it before storing it.
If we can get away without using it, we do. Everyone I hear that had brought the Fiamma privacy room has never used it or sold it because they are so damn awkward and heavy.
Thanks for your advice much appreciated 😁

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We were in Germany at St Gore Am Rhein a few years back and a beautiful hot sunny day interupted by a sudden thunder storm approx ten vans had their wind out awnings out Some with stays and straps others without all were blown over the tops of their vans causing varying amounts of damage.
We just managed to get ours wound in before disaster struck.😓
It taught me never To leave it unattended and also just because you’ve got it strapped down don’t believe it will stay that way. It was Avery costly lesson for those folk on that day.🤭😊

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We were in Germany at St Gore Am Rhein a few years back and a beautiful hot sunny day interupted by a sudden thunder storm approx ten vans had their wind out awnings out Some with stays and straps others without all were blown over the tops of their vans causing varying amounts of damage.
We just managed to get ours wound in before disaster struck.😓
It taught me never To leave it unattended and also just because you’ve got it strapped down don’t believe it will stay that way. It was Avery costly lesson for those folk on that day.🤭😊
The storms can come on VERY quickly indeed, we were somewhere in France at a winery and had the awning out as it was stonkingly hot, suddenly in the beautiful blue clear sky we saw a cloud in the distance which looked a bit threatening, it didn't take us long to get the awning back in, probably a couple of minutes max, but by that time the storm was nearly on us and the winds were giving us a right battering.

We NEVER ever leave our awning out if we're not there, it's just too risky even, as you say, they are secured ... it's like trying to hold on to a kite but on a massive scale.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We've had the lot (and still have) Fiamma Zip, Windblockers and now a Quest Pop-up.
The Fiamma Zip I really like and have used it a lot, usually when staying in one place for about a week or more. Big and is used as an extra room but is heavy and takes about an hour to put up and peg down fully which I do as it's the only way to make sure it stays where it is when bad weather comes.
Windblocker we used for shorter stays, usually a weekend and is always used in conjunction with at least 2 tie down straps and fully pegged. Light and goes up in about 25mins.
Just bought the Quest on recommendations from others on here. Probably heavier than the Windblocker but goes up in about 5mins. I am told that it will withstand the worst that the weather can throw at it but have not had chance to test it in the worst of the elements yet.
Hope that helps.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We NEVER ever leave our awning out if we're not there, it's just too risky even, as you say, they are secured ... it's like trying to hold on to a kite but on a massive scale
Yes they do move quickly we saw it coming along the river valley but until the first clap of thunder no one took much notice, it then became a really frightening experience and over so quickly around 10 minutes and the sun was out again. Still we did get a concert that evening from Lorelei blik just above on the other side of the river Status Quo and Zee Zee Top all free😊😊😊

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
of all the zip safari rooms that have been sold for motorhomes i would guess 70%are now in lofts sheds and garages gathering dust

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
As above, keep it simple at first. Maybe just the canopy with a couple of chairs.
Then maybe you’ll just need to add a wind break that does a side & front.
Or you’ll know you want the full enclosure style.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back