Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Horwich Greater Manchester AKA Lancs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Auto Stratus
Exp
Since 2014
We have a Elddis Autostratus LS SE 1999. There is a Famia wind out awning fitted, we are wondering if anyone has used a full or porch awning on one of these either fixed or drive away? There seems to be an awning rail going around the outside edge of the body, albeit a narrow one, but this seem too long for an awning.

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
I have used it for a fixed awning. It works fine but can be bit creaky when windy. It depends where your door is situated and the size of your awning ......So Just slide the awning into the desired location and peg down. ☺

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
My last Fiamma had a slot running the length of the facia, which I used to attach the connection panel of my driveaway awning. I've never tried a fixed awning with the Motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a Elddis Autostratus LS SE 1999. There is a Famia wind out awning fitted, we are wondering if anyone has used a full or porch awning on one of these either fixed or drive away? There seems to be an awning rail going around the outside edge of the body, albeit a narrow one, but this seem too long for an awning.
Hi Gary, firstly the 'thin rail' round the outside edge of the body is just the capping for where the sides joins the roof/rear so not an awning 'slot-in' rail as you would find on a caravan for example.

The Fiamma awning you have shoudl hav a narrow slot i nthe front edge (the part that extends out) into which you can slot the piping on the rear of an awning but this is only 4mm wide which is smaller than the piping used on caravan awnings which is 6mm so if you want to use a caravan awning (which we do) you'll need to get an awning connection kit, often called a figure of 8 kit, or Kador strip, which consists of a long cotton/poly 'strap' type material with 4mm piping running along one edge and 6mm piping running along the other. The 4mm piping edge is pulled into the MH's Fiamma track, then the figure of 8 plastic strips slotted on, and the 6mm piping on the removable awning is run into the other side of the figure of 8 strips which then attaches it to the MH.

We've had drive-away awnings (where you connect it to your MH as above) as well as MH and caravan awnings (using the kit) and all have their merits.

The best thing is for you to firstly decide if you will be wanting to move your MH, eg to go out for the day, but still have your awning left on site ... if so then you'll need a drive-away model, alternatively go for a freestanding awning which doesn't attach at all. If you don't intend to move the MH once 'pitched' then a standard type awning/caravan awning should do the trick, note that there are also safari rooms and wind-blockers which utilise the extended Fiamma awning too.

RickT

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
Canterbury
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato McLouis
Exp
1 Year
Hi GaryH61, this is our awning attached as you can see to the wind out Fiama awning, takes me around 30 to 40 minutes to erect and peg, I now wish we had bought a drive away awning.

Attachments

• CIMG0342.JPG
    CIMG0342.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 41

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
I've got one for my Eldis 140 used it only twice. they call them "Privacy room" they come in various sizes according to your wind out canopy. Great if you had some guests wanting to stop with you or if you are a get into a campsite and set up for the duration types.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=fiamma+privacy+room

Not sure what your question is. Mine could be for sale if it fitted yours but I am not sure what size my canopy is. My privacy room is an F45 ti.

With the fiamma privacy room you don't use the channel round the joint between the roof and side walls of the van. It comes with strengthening bars (alluminium) with grooves in them and you use the slot on the outward bit of the canopy, has doors and see through windows and all the pegs to anchor the QE2. They do recommend and I have a strap with springs each end to strap right over the extended canopy and privacy in case of a breeze. In a gale I would take it down !

Last edited:

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
i think we have an awning somewhere.......ah found it in a cupboard i seldom go in:rolleyes: next to the Breville sandwich maker.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back