Avtex with Oyster Caro (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
just bought an Avtex TV to replace an unbranded TV which came with the van purchase.
The outgoing tv was a 12v tv without an inbuilt satellite tuner and was connected to the Oyster box via a coax cable through the aerial out connection.
The source/input on the remote was TV.

The new Avtex is fitted with an inbuilt satellite tuner.
I've plugged the coax cable into the aerial/RF out connection with the other end still connected to the Oyster box as it was before.

Trouble is, I haven't been able to tune the Avtex to pick up the satellite.
I know that the satellite is working as we've another tv which is connected to it although via AV leads.

I've tried a manual search and an auto search and even used the AQT button for their easy find tune - done this on both Digital TV input/source and on Satellite TV input/source. Still can't find the satellite channel.

Has anyone else who has an Avtex and satellite dish on the roof with its own tuner had issues on first tuning?

I'm going to try connecting the coax cable into the SAT IN connector via an adapter tomorrow to see if that helps.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
The new avtex tvs don't have a rf receiver now not sure if this helps

I had to use a HDMI Cable

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The output from your dish positioner should connect to sat in on the TV
The Tv should be set to satellite

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Perhaps you need
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Thanks Andy.
I called Jacksons earlier (who supplied the tv) and he suggested using the coax cable with an adapter into the Sat in.
I've got the adapter now as per your photo so will give this a try and will do a search in satellite mode.

Regarding the RF receiver - was just going off the user manual which refers the connection inlet on the side of the to as an RF inlet (Aerial). Model is a 247DRS and is the latest model.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
RF is terestrial TV i.e. status aerial and the like.

I called Jacksons earlier (who supplied the tv) and he suggested using the coax cable with an adapter into the Sat in.
I've got the adapter now so will give this a try and will do a search in satellite mode.
(y)

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
You need your TV on analogue input and tune the TV into the Satellite broadcast. You are right to have the coax cable from your satellite receiver (which is connected to your Oyster system) into the coax input on the Avtex. Thats how I have mine setup apart from I also have a switch box which allows me to choose to either have the input from the sky box or direct from the Oyster system and use the satellite receiver built into the Avtex.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Page 7 connect the satellite cable to the satellite input

Tuning in satellite page 10

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Andy is correct above assuming you have removed the previous satellite receiver and wish to use the inbuilt satellite receiver in the Avtex.

From the beginning, your old TV which you have removed did not have an inbuilt satellite receiver therefore the satellite signal from your Oyster dish went to a satellite receiver somewhere in your van. From the satellite receiver there is a coax cable which was connected to your old TV via the coax input....simple.

Question 1...are you wanting to utilise the inbuilt satellite receiver in the Avtex? If so you need to find the old satellite receiver (not the creamy colour Oyster control box or panel) and this should have a cable from the Oyster system (F connector). Re route this direct to your Avtex TV and connect to Satellite input (F connector). Make sure in satellite settings on the Avtex you are searching Astra 2 and not Astra 1 etc.

Question 2...if like me I have a sky box and still wish to use sky box and subscription which allows me to watch it in southern Spain etc then I installed an A B switch which allows me switch between watching Sky (which is connected to the Avtex via coax and tuned into analogue) or alternatively i can choose to use the inbuilt satellite receiver on the Avtex and simply i press the switch and it routes the signal straight from Oyster to Avtex (which is connected to the satellite input on Avtex) and not through my sky box.

I have exactly the same set-up for the Avtex TV in the bedroom too which also has sky box (I have a twin LNB system).

Regards Dave.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Thanks Dave,

I have an Oyster Caro but it must be an older version as it only has the main box in the wardrobe where the satellite cable from the dish goes into and the power etc, plus where the original coax cable comes out of and into the tv.

I'm wanting to use the Oyster tuner and remote for changing the channels on the Avtex - it's a single LNB and we have another tv in the rear.
The way it's connected is via a coax Y piece splitter.
Whatever channel is selected on the Oyster will. The same for both TV's.

The settings in Avtex was Astra 2 yesterday when I was trying to get the signal.

I will try the adapter that I've now got (mentioned by Andy Techno above) and will plug this onto the coax and into the SAT In connector on the Avtex when I go up to the van (storage) today.

I've not got a sky box or any other viewing box, so hopefully the above will solve it.

I'll keep you all posted later today.
Cheers
Gav

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I'm wanting to use the Oyster tuner and remote for changing the channels on the Avtex - it's a single LNB and we have another tv in the rear.
You don't want the satellite input then! that is only to use the TV's internal sat receiver.
You should do as Dave said initially

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Think I'll be going back to Jackson Satellites at this rate.
Yesterday I had the coax from the Oyster into the Coax input on the Avtex but was doing a search in both TV and in Satellite sources.

Question for you - how do I put the TV in analogue mode?
As far as I can remember, the source button showed DTV, Satellite, DVD, HDMI1, HDMI2 and USB.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I don't have the option for Analogue TV in the menu when pressing the source button.
Will show you when I'm up there

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Yes I tried AV yesterday - connection via the coax but will be trying it again this aft

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
In my mind if your Oyster tuner is RF out then connecting it to RF in and choosing DTV on the telly followed by a channel search should only find one channel which is your satellite tuner output

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
image.jpeg

No analogue tv option.

Just plugged coax with adapter into sat in and done search in DTV and satellite options and it's not picked up anything.

Plugged into RF in and done search in DTV and satellite mode/options and again it's not picked up anything on doing an auto search.

For whatever reason it doesn't allow a search when in AV mode.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
On the old tv- yes.
It was on DTV mode connected via the coax

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Got the tv working but could not have front & back TVs on at the same time.
Choice was either front tv on watching tv whilst rear tv on dvd or vice versa.

Decided to return the Avtex.
Now got a Finlux.
Cost £120 compared to £400.
Quality is very good for sound and picture plus we can have both front & rear TVs on at same time - handy for us for keeping everyone happy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back